Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

My Xbox is acting.......well, goofy.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Ket87

The last two days my 360 has been acting straight up weird. First it started with it signing me out of Live every so often. Today it upgraded to everything loads really really slow. Now its making a static noise as if my speakers were busted or the volume is up real high when neither are the case. And recently it started signing me out of Live around every 5 minutes. It's my second 360, and its a brand new 60GB Pro so it is not an older model that would be more susceptible to RROD and frankly this doesn't sound like RROD. It just sounds, well it sounds goofy haha.

Anyone have any idea WTF is going on with it?

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ket87

So nobody got anything?

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By TheKidNixon

To me it sounds like you have a few separate issues:

1) Your wireless network connection is probably fairly low, or at the very least dropping in and out. That would obviously explain the drops you're having; how far is your 360 from your actual modem? Are you using the wireless USB adapter? If so, make sure whenever you're dropped that the color on it is still green and not red or blinking red; that could mean an issue with the adapter.

2) Also sounds like you might have a kink in your AV cables that could be causing the audio problems. What kind of setup do you have there? Might want to test the cables on a different TV and see if you get similar results, both in HD and Standard.

3) As far as the loading issues, what exactly is having a hard time loading? Downloaded content? Games off of disks? That could be an issue with your actual motor on your lens; try actually loading games onto the hard drive and then the disk is just confirming the fact you're not stealing the content. If that doesn't resolve the issue, tell Microsoft you got a RRoD and they'll take a look at it for you.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ket87

Nothing has changed about my setup in 3 months I havn't even touched the cables since I bought my TV, I've got my 360 running HDMI to my Vizio HD-TV. If there is a problem with the AV set up it would have popped up months ago not just all of a sudden. Also I am using the same set-up on my PS3 and it works just fine, and the day before yesterday the 360 ran just as perfectly. Also since posting the topic the image on screen will flicker with a flash of white. Not real often but I've never seen it do it before today.

The wireless network connection is another problem that is odd because it started a few hours before the audio and video problems did and they too are exclusive to my 360. I've got my laptop and my PS3 set up with my 360 about 18 feet from my router and they have not experienced any connection issues at all. If it was something with my internet it would affect everything not just the 360. And trust me I have Comcast I'm an expert on router problems by now.

As for the menu lag, I've had a 360 for two years and I'm quite used to the load times of the dashboard, I know they run a little slow and since NXE things ain't been to much better. And the difference between the typical lag the dashboard experiences and what I've been experiencing is that say I wanted to check my friends achivements and I go into his profile it will freeze on the profile for up to 2-3 mintutes before exiting. Also upon booting up the console it simply loaded the theme, nothing else just the theme after about a minute the screen went a bit crazy with some flashes then restarted the system. That happened once yesterday early on when the problems started.

Hopefully that clarifies somethings a bit, I guess I didn't make it exactly clear in the original post about what was wrong and why I thought something was more awry then usual.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By TheKidNixon

I'm not saying there's something wrong with your wireless network (though trust me, that is what Xbox tech support will try to sell you.) What I suspect might be the problem is your wireless adapter actually picking up your network, for one reason or another. It is the most finicky piece of hardware I've ever had to deal with; if I close my door to my room it doesn't pick up a consistent connection. My current theory is that the wireless adapter might be on the fritz, but like I said, you need to check it when you're having those regular log-offs.

For the other issues, I'm shooting in the dark; when I did 360 tech support, I was exclusively Live. They never trained me on what could cause hardware issues. I will tell you that the NXE had a very VERY small rate of people that the update caused an issue. The other thing I would suggest doing is clearing your cache and seeing if that resolves any of those slow-down problems; you might just have some corrupted data collecting somewhere in your hard drive.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ket87

Alright I'll clear the cache to see if it clears that up. The audio/visual is what really worries me though, plus its pretty damn annoying when playing a game and the background music sounds like someone blew a sub-woofer in their car.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ket87

Double post but thanks by the way.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By mordukai
    @Ket87: How is it now?
    Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ket87

Clearing the cache appears to have fixed the loading issues so that was just coincidence. But the damn thing still sounds like a blown out car stereo though even after checking the cables so I don't know what to do about that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.