New 360 Disc Drive Noise - Based on the game disc.

#1 Posted by TheAdmin (712 posts) -

I updated from an original Xbox 360 to the new Xbox 360 S. The console is whisper quiet when on, but the disc drive can get noisy... but only based on the disc that's in it. really you ask? Well, I went and started installing a whole bunch of games to see noise level and here's what i found:

Alan Wake - Loud
Red Dead Redemption - Loud
Mass Effect 2 Disc 1 - Quiet
Mass Effect 2 Disc 2 - Loud
Bionic Commando - Loud
GTA 4 Stories - Quiet
Splinter Cell Conviction - Quiet

So it seems that however the disc is pressed is what makes it noisy? perhaps where the game info is stored? Anyone else have any info that they want to share on this? 

#2 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

So you don't have these details based on just playing the games in general?

#3 Posted by TheAdmin (712 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" So you don't have these details based on just playing the games in general? "
Since I installed all them, while playing, it's whisper quiet. Only when the disc is spinning or installing is the disc drive loud.
#4 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

I noticed the same thing. Alan Wake was loud while the disc spun, MW2 was quiet. Not that it matters because with 250GB you have no reason to not install to the HD.

#5 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -
@99X: Right, but I'm curious if this loud/quiet thing works whenever you are playing the games rather than installing them. 

Regardless, I'm more than positive that I'll be installing a fair number of games rather than just playing them anyways.  Like Burns said - with 250GB on the HDD, there's no reason to NOT install your most played games!
#6 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Interesting information you've got there. Think its possible that it varies on the game? Maybe some games have some information on the disc that needs to be streamed and read from? I'm pretty clueless on how discs work, other than the majority of times the console is quieter when the game is installed on the hard drive.

#7 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Yea I've noticed it seems certain disks run louder than others in my old system too.  I think it might vary on how the disk itself is built, if it is slightly warped or has microscopically more plastic on one side or something.  Some games access the disk differently too, streaming going on or does it load and then spin idle?  Probably a lot of factors.

#8 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Complete guess: Maybe it has to do with the label on the top of the disc?

#9 Posted by destruktive (1069 posts) -

It's probably caused by the fact that certain games don't need to access data as fast as others.
I think it's mostly about the way the developer made the game.

When my first 360 started having problems the disc drive, some games took 10 times to start while others (COD4 is one I remember) always started on the first try.

#10 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@99X said:
" @jakob187 said:
" So you don't have these details based on just playing the games in general? "
Since I installed all them, while playing, it's whisper quiet. Only when the disc is spinning or installing is the disc drive loud. "
i dont think the noise it makes while installing a game is very relevant to the general gaming experience on the 360. This seems like just looking for something to complain about.
#11 Posted by supercrisp (1 posts) -

@supermarius: But it really isn't just something to complain about. I have noticed this with some games too. Like Soul Caliber IV and especially Tales of Vesperia. That game spun so violently that it would start making my TV buzz. Had I not installed it then it would be almost unplayable. This is where technology goes to hell because Microsoft actually offers a model of Xbox without any form of storage big enough to install even some of the smallest of games, when the fact of the matter is that not installing your games can have terrible consequences.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.