New Dashboard + WP7 Companion App

#1 Posted by xyzygy (9938 posts) -
Anyone get around to using this yet? I would love to fiddle with it but it's not showing up in my Marketplace yet and plus I have an exam today and tomorrow. Go get it and share your thoughts! I think the new dashboard LOOKS good, but that's just from the videos I've seen. I'm eagerly awaiting both the app and the update. 

I love how MS is pushing the Metro UI that is so beautifully executed in WP7. It is so slick and pretty.
#2 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

I look forward to trying it, is the app for the phone or the Xbox?

#3 Posted by xyzygy (9938 posts) -
@big_jon: The app is for the phone but it's meant to make your phone act as a remote for the console. There are a few videos out that demonstrate it. I have the new dashboard now, and it looks awesome.... but I can't find the Companion App in my WP7 marketplace yet :(
#4 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Why would you ever use it over a controller? I guess if it can turn the console on that could be kind of cool, but just as gimmicky.

#5 Posted by bigsmoke77 (788 posts) -

Tested has the new Nokia windows phone that is only selling in Europe and it looks pretty frigging good.

#6 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@Sooty said:

Why would you ever use it over a controller? I guess if it can turn the console on that could be kind of cool, but just as gimmicky.

You're just jealous that you can't do it. :)

#7 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@big_jon said:

@Sooty said:

Dude my 360 is like 2 feet away from me right now, it'd take longer to navigate to the app and do it that way.

#8 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@big_jon said:

@Sooty said:

Dude my 360 is like 2 feet away from me right now, it'd take longer to navigate to the app and do it that way.

It's still cool, and for watching movies and stuff, yes please.

#9 Edited by xyzygy (9938 posts) -
@bigsmoke77 said:

Tested has the new Nokia windows phone that is only selling in Europe and it looks pretty frigging good.

Yeah, the Nokia Lumia 800. It's coming to the states (and hopefully Canada), and there are rumors that Nokia is creating the Lumia 900 which will be even better. Such a beautiful phone. Also check out the brand new HTC Titan. That thing is a literal beast.

@Sooty

said:

It's not meant to replace the controller, it has it's own special uses. Like you can play the content on your phone over the TV. So say if you're playing a game and you want to look in the marketplace without having to leave your session, just whip out your phone and you can connect and buy things right there. It's just a convenience really. It basically does the same thing as a PC marketplace without having to actually get up lol
#10 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@xyzygy: Can you link me to a video?

#11 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Hmm I guess it depends how invested you are into Microsoft's marketplace system. I only ever use it on the 360.

#12 Posted by xyzygy (9938 posts) -
@big_jon

Just the same, except you can also do it while gaming and not just with movies. 

What kind of WP do you have? I got the HD7, beautiful phone :)
#13 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@xyzygy: Surround 7

#14 Posted by xyzygy (9938 posts) -

I finally got the app. I had to search for it on the WP website and then get them to send me a link, I don't think it's ready to be shown in the Marketplace or they haven't updated its search parameters. I'll give my impressions on it when I get back from my exam

#15 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

That looks cool. I'm always up for more devices being linked together to make it easier for navigation or content selection. Been using my iPad as a remote for my iMac and Apple TV and love it. Has there been anything similar on the PS3?

#16 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

I finally got the app. I had to search for it on the WP website and then get them to send me a link, I don't think it's ready to be shown in the Marketplace or they haven't updated its search parameters. I'll give my impressions on it when I get back from my exam

Link to app?

#17 Posted by Jason_E_Sigler (122 posts) -
#18 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -

It says I can't get it...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.