Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

New Disc Format Coming for Xbox 360

• 55 results
    Avatar image for brandoncooper17
    brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By brandoncooper17

"I am happy to announce that we're doing an Xbox 360 System Update Preview program for our next release, and the opportunity to sign up is now available. We are conducting an open call for US based participants* for a public preview to help us prepare for an updated Xbox 360 disc format. This is an important update as we continually strive to improve our products and we could not do so without the help of our great Xbox community. As part of the preview program, you will receive a copy of Halo: Reach along with other possible rewards."

http://majornelson.com/2011/03/29/xbox-360-system-update-preview/

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Cincaid

Cool beans. Too bad it's only for US testing, as usual.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By KarlPilkington

Probably a slightly different version of the current discs that requires testing.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By landon
    monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By monetarydread

Hrmm... guess that we aren't going to see a new console generation any time soon. I'm glad I just built a new computer.

Avatar image for brandoncooper17
    brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By brandoncooper17

Its likely a big dvd to just make games like mass effect which were 2 discs run on one.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Cameron

It will have to be some sort of modification to the DVD standard. Perhaps a GD-ROM sort of thing, though I'm not sure what the purpose is. It's not like they can suddenly make the 360 play blu-ray discs with a software update.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Cameron said:
    " It will have to be some sort of modification to the DVD standard. Perhaps a GD-ROM sort of thing, though I'm not sure what the purpose is. It's not like they can suddenly make the 360 play blu-ray discs with a software update. "
    This seems likely but what I think Microsoft will do is send ninja's to every 360 owners home and install a blu-ray drive at night, that's my guess anyways.
    AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

DVD-15?

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By alternate

Likely it is just a new Ap2.x on the security sector - rather then what you think.  This ain't going to be no Sega CD, Son.

The update activating AP2.5 around xmas apparently caused all kinds of problems and so they only put it on like 3 games and didn't get to do their yearly ban hammer- this time looks like they are testing it out first.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

Nice. Signed up!

Ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Ishoturface

Signed up :D
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DoctorTran

God damn it. I'm at my parents house and Can't get my Xbox's info.... DAMN IT!

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By metalmoog

They should just switch to blu-ray and be done with it. Here ya go Sony, we will buy our discs off you. lol

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Bollard
    Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Awesome, I just registered.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @MetalMoog said:
    " They should just switch to blu-ray and be done with it. Here ya go Sony, we will buy our discs off you. lol "
    I don't know how many times it has to be said, but Sony don't own blu-ray.  In fact, they're currently involved in a legal battle with the creators over using the technology in the PS3. 

Switching to blu-ray would actually make the most sense, as it's quickly becoming the standard format.. but again, it's not like they can just magically make the tech appear in all current 360's and even if they were doing that, why would it require testing?  So it's most probably just a DVD with more storage capacity.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By JasonR86

I wonder if this is a test for a new format for the new system?  

They sure are stubborn about blu-ray.

EDIT:

@WinterSnowblind said:

" @MetalMoog said:
    " They should just switch to blu-ray and be done with it. Here ya go Sony, we will buy our discs off you. lol "
    I don't know how many times it has to be said, but Sony don't own blu-ray.  In fact, they're currently involved in a legal battle with the creators over using the technology in the PS3.  Switching to blu-ray would actually make the most sense, as it's quickly becoming the standard format.. but again, it's not like they can just magically make the tech appear in all current 360's and even if they were doing that, why would it require testing?  So it's most probably just a DVD with more storage capacity. "

If that's true and Sony is having a hard time with the company that does own the rights to the Blu-Ray format then Microsoft might feel they could save money in the long run by creating a format that would come close to matching the quality of Blu-Ray without the added royalty fees.  I know R&D cost would be high at first, but maybe they feel that over the course of the life-span of the console they would make that money back.

Plus, if they really put their all into the digital, instant-streaming movie service by way of the Zune Marketplace and increase the quality of that service to match, or come close to matching, the audio and visual quality of Blu-Rays they could then fight Sony on two fronts.
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By PufferFiz
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @MetalMoog said:
    I don't know how many times it has to be said, but Sony don't own blu-ray.  In fact, they're currently involved in a legal battle with the creators over using the technology in the PS3.  Switching to blu-ray would actually make the most sense, as it's quickly becoming the standard format.. but again, it's not like they can just magically make the tech appear in all current 360's and even if they were doing that, why would it require testing?  So it's most probably just a DVD with more storage capacity. "
    Well Sony helped create the blu-ray format, there for they have a stake in the profits.
    spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20  Edited By spiceninja

Just signed up. That free copy of Halo: Reach was enticing enough.

Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Potter9156

Note to self, save console id and serial number on computer.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Afroman269
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Cameron said:
    " It will have to be some sort of modification to the DVD standard. Perhaps a GD-ROM sort of thing, though I'm not sure what the purpose is. It's not like they can suddenly make the 360 play blu-ray discs with a software update. "
    This seems likely but what I think Microsoft will do is send ninja's to every 360 owners home and install a blu-ray drive at night, that's my guess anyways. "
    I hope not, knowing them, they will smash my PS3 on the way out.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how Bungie feels about Microsoft giving away "multiple thousands" copies of their game. :D

Anyways, I'm all for testing something to make the console better. I imagine that whatever they're testing is not only supposed to extend the 360's lifespan, but is testing for the next generation as well. I doubt Microsoft will be adopting BluRay anytime soon.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xyzygy

While I don't mind multi-disc games, this is kind of neat that they're taking such a huge initiative. 

Also, it doesn't really matter that it's only in the states... When the testing is done we'll all get the results. Well, it only sucks if you don't have Halo: Reach 

@animathias: Bungie gave all of the rights to Halo to MS so I don't really think they can say anything. But if they had have kept the rights... they're probably missing out on a couple hundred thousand bucks :P

blalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blalala

Extra space is unlikely as it will have to be readable for the DVD drive, I'm thinking more along the lines of piracy protection.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Skald
    @blalala said:
    " Extra space is unlikely as it will have to be readable for the DVD drive, I'm thinking more along the lines of piracy protection. "
    Probably.
    SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#27  Edited By SomeJerk

It's an anti-piracy deal and not a larger disc format, since every little 360 game gets "leaked" a week or two at least before release.

e: Yeah I sat on the "Post Reply" button too long, cripes. Giving this fix two months, maybe three tops if MS have lawyers ready to send SWAT teams to hacker homes

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By louiedog
    @Potter9156 said:
    " Note to self, save console id and serial number on computer. "
    You can get the Console ID from the license transfer tool and the serial number from the xbox support page.

@blalala said:
    " Extra space is unlikely as it will have to be readable for the DVD drive, I'm thinking more along the lines of piracy protection. "
    Right now the max space on a 360 game is a little under 7 gigs. You can get more out of that with the DVD format. However, I do agree that this is likely piracy protection. Maybe it's both.
    Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By Vonocourt
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @MetalMoog said:
    No one company owns Blu-ray, it's owned by the Blu-ray Disc Association that is made up of representatives of a bunch of companies, one of which is Sony. LG isn't suing for the use of blu-ray, rather for how the blu-ray drive in the PS3 works. As for Microsoft not wanted to adopt Blu-ray just to not give money to their competitor... They already do with DVD.
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DoctorTran

Alright. Signed up! :: crosses fingers ::

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#31  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @DoctorTran said:
    " Alright. Signed up! :: crosses fingers :: "
    Same here. I'm a little late signing up... Hopefully I'll still get in. :D
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By scarace360

Why cant canada do it!

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Vonocourt said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @MetalMoog said:
    No one company owns Blu-ray, it's owned by the Blu-ray Disc Association that is made up of representatives of a bunch of companies, one of which is Sony. LG isn't suing for the use of blu-ray, rather for how the blu-ray drive in the PS3 works. As for Microsoft not wanted to adopt Blu-ray just to not give money to their competitor... They already do with DVD. "
    You're still wrong. Sony own the Blu-Ray patents and everything. The association is only there to set the standards the whole industry must adhere to. Just like how Google owns Android but there are still people on the Open Handset Alliance. Sony is also part of the Windows thing (forget what it's called) but the don't make money from Windows, they just sell computers and have a say in the standards used to make Windows run on machines.
    Avatar image for ravenousrattler
    Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ravenousrattler

yup signed up

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Marz

I signed up mostly because i really don't use my xbox and if it gets screwed up somehow, it's not a big deal.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Romination

If it's just a security update, it would be so sad. And you know people would be like "oh it's so awesome all the improvements they made and itstreams so much faster" but then it's really just new security.

JoMate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JoMate

Still one disc to many if you ask me...

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By blackblade500

I just signed up, but very doubtful of getting in

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Vonocourt
    @Snapstacle said:
    " @Vonocourt said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @MetalMoog said:
    No one company owns Blu-ray, it's owned by the Blu-ray Disc Association that is made up of representatives of a bunch of companies, one of which is Sony. LG isn't suing for the use of blu-ray, rather for how the blu-ray drive in the PS3 works. As for Microsoft not wanted to adopt Blu-ray just to not give money to their competitor... They already do with DVD. "
    You're still wrong. Sony own the Blu-Ray patents and everything. The association is only there to set the standards the whole industry must adhere to. Just like how Google owns Android but there are still people on the Open Handset Alliance. Sony is also part of the Windows thing (forget what it's called) but the don't make money from Windows, they just sell computers and have a say in the standards used to make Windows run on machines. "
    If it was only Sony who owned the patents to blu-ray, why did they have to get a independent licensing company to operate as a one stop shop for companies who wanted to get into the blu-ray scene.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By agentboolen
    @MetalMoog said:
    They should just do some kind of trade, its not like Sony isn't using Windows 7 in there computers.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Vonocourt: That's still completely different. Sony owns the Blu-Ray disks and the diodes. The other companies own the software, codecs, DRM and other things that go along with authoring a Blu-Ray disk and making a Blu-Ray player (it's the same companies that own DVD patents, like LG). Its just like the situation with MPEGLA, different companies own patents to motion video, but they set up an independent company for a one-stop shop for getting a license to make it easier to adopt the format. 

It's simply a way for different companies from suing each other. Making a Blu-Ray game means you only have to go through Sony since you aren't making a movie or anything else that would violate someone else's patents. 

Some members of the Association make money from the licensing company, but only a small amount of them.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dany

everyone is every-bodies competitors but it would be terrible decision on all fronts to change the format to of an xbox 360 to blu ray. Now if they start with the new console on something such as BD disc then sure, why not. 

Hopefully this disc format will allow for some more damn space on the disc

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vonocourt
    @Snapstacle said:
    " @Vonocourt: That's still completely different. Sony owns the Blu-Ray disks and the diodes. The other companies own the software, codecs, DRM and other things that go along with authoring a Blu-Ray disk and making a Blu-Ray player (it's the same companies that own DVD patents, like LG). Its just like the situation with MPEGLA, different companies own patents to motion video, but they set up an independent company for a one-stop shop for getting a license to make it easier to adopt the format.  It's simply a way for different companies from suing each other. Making a Blu-Ray game means you only have to go through Sony since you aren't making a movie or anything else that would violate someone else's patents.  Some members of the Association make money from the licensing company, but only a small amount of them. "
    But that comes down to if we were talking exclusively about discs, which I guess you could say from the initial post that specifically mentioned Microsoft buying discs from sony, but what good would those discs be if you had no disc drive to use them. Guess its my fault for expecting the discussion to be talking about the entirety of the format rather than solely the actual disc part.

Though can you go more in depth about video games on blu-ray being solely a Sony deal, I'd like to know more about that since that's the first I've heard of it being that way.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Vonocourt said:
    "Though can you go more in depth about video games on blu-ray being solely a Sony deal, I'd like to know more about that since that's the first I've heard of it being that way. "
    That info comes from years of reading Gamasutra news articles and interviews since that kind of sensitive information isn't readily available to the public. What it comes down to is that publishers pay Sony for Playstation Licensing and Sony provides everything from the software to the equipment required to test the code. Once a game has been submitted as gold,  Sony is in charge of the manufacturing, pressing disks and packaging the games. 

Its most likely that if any third-party licensing is required, it is being bundled with Sony's own Playstation License. It's pretty interesting stuff, but it's all NDA'd.
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Like others, I also think it's something for anti-piracy.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DoctorTran
    @SpikeSpiegel
    @DoctorTran said:
    " Alright. Signed up! :: crosses fingers :: "
    Same here. I'm a little late signing up... Hopefully I'll still get in. :D
    Yeah. I have a feeling we'll have a good chance.
    zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By zonikjj

Signed up! I wonder how this is going to work out. I already have a copy of Reach though. Well, can't argue with free I suppose. C'mon FREE HD-DVD PLAYER! (jk jk)

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Ishoturface said:

" Signed up :D "

I could not figure out how to sign up. 

Wow there is a big old NDA attached to this..even wants console info. 
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DoctorTran
    @The_Laughing_Man
    @Ishoturface said:

" Signed up :D "

I could not figure out how to sign up. 

Wow there is a big old NDA attached to this..even wants console info. 
    Nothing too new as far as xbox betas go. They need the console ID and such to deliver the update to your specific console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.