New xbox 360 still has over heating problems?

• 0 results
#1 Posted by TheDoorman (532 posts) -

Has anyone else heard of this happening or is the chances of this occurring slim?
#2 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I had audio off but couldn't it be the tv?

#3 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Check out the colour of the power LED. Yep.
#4 Posted by TheDoorman (532 posts) -
@Dany said:
" I had audio off but couldn't it be the tv? "
I dunno I was searching for some new xbox videos and this came up. Im a little worried since I have one pre-ordered.
#5 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
@TheDoorman said:
" @Dany said:
I dunno I was searching for some new xbox videos and this came up. Im a little worried since I have one pre-ordered. "
That is certainly a overheating GPU, commonly known as E74.
#6 Posted by TheDoorman (532 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
"
"
Is that your xbox or you find that pic online?
#7 Posted by TheDoorman (532 posts) -
@Gizmo said:
" @TheDoorman said:
" @Dany said:
I dunno I was searching for some new xbox videos and this came up. Im a little worried since I have one pre-ordered. "
That is certainly a overheating GPU, commonly known as E74. "
Do you think installing games to harddrive could fix that?
#8 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

WTF? I wouldn't pay attention to that video.If it's the line across the screen then it has to be the television. Now a way he could've proven it was the new 360 was to turn on the 360 and start playing the game. If the lines show up then I know its the 360.

#9 Edited by TheDoorman (532 posts) -
@ch13696 said:

" WTF? I wouldn't pay attention to that video.If it's the line across the screen then it has to be the television. Now a way he could've proven it was the new 360 was to turn on the 360 and start playing the game. If the lines show up then I know its the 360. "

Its either the Television or the chip inside the box. I hope  its not the chip inside. Cause I am getting one already. I have bad experiences with regular xboxes as it is.
#10 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Trust me, i've had 3 E74 errors on seperate televisions and this definately looks like one.

#11 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Gizmo: I know for sure with my 360, when the GPU overheats, the 360 freezes and you see a sort of light green and green checker board. But that's only when it boots up or is in the dashboard. When it's in game it just freezes. Wouldn't that be the same with the new 360?
#12 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
@TheDoorman said:
" @Gizmo said:
" @TheDoorman said:
" @Dany said:
That is certainly a overheating GPU, commonly known as E74. "
Do you think installing games to harddrive could fix that? "
As far as I know, installing to the hard-drive only reduces the amount of work the disk drive has to do, not the GPU, which is obviously the part overheating in the video.
#13 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

lol which one is the jtag?

#14 Edited by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

I've seen pics of the new XBox innards...only one fan...Cripes.  No intake or exhaust fans.  That grill on top is just for show.  ...my OC'd PC has fans up the wazoo.

#15 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Woah, that's what my NES looks like when I play certain games.

#16 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@TheDoorman said:
" @Hitchenson said:
"
"
Is that your xbox or you find that pic online? "
I saw that pic on another forum.  That ISN'T a dead 360, it's a 360 that auto shutoff because it overheated.  So the temp sensors got too high & the system was saved.  Some people thought maybe he had the vent covered but who knows.

Hopefully problems with the new model aren't widespread, so we'll see.
#17 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Diamond: A lot of people are going on about this pic being photoshopped or doctored. I can't really tell. But hey, 1 out of who knows how many slim 360's sold are bound to burn out.
#18 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@ch13696: Yea someone should check if the new 360s even have any red LEDs, because that would say a lot.  Or hey just cover the vent for a while and see what happens.
#19 Posted by Rhaknar (5940 posts) -

the day this was announced i said as soon as it was out some jackass would force a rrod, by keeping it on for ages, or wrapping it in blankets, whatever.

Wouldnt surprise me if thats what happened

#20 Posted by xyzygy (9623 posts) -

The new 360s have been out for like what, 5 days? How the hell could someone possibly play it enough to overheat already? 

It's just a hoax.

#21 Posted by Afroman269 (7388 posts) -

My new one doesn't overheat that bad, I also don't have sitting next to two consoles. The console does get hot but never to the point of getting error messages. Perhaps you need to clear some space on the shelf or install your games.

#22 Posted by TheDoorman (532 posts) -
@xyzygy:  In the video description he said he had only played it for an hour. And if its a hoax wouldn't the dude hate microsoft. I mean come on he has three xboxes.

Although I hope its a hoax I just dont think someone would have three xboxes and than go through all the trouble to make the new one overheat.
#23 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@Diamond: Yeah, a Microsoft spokesperson said they dumped the red lights but stuck with the red dot. But, for all we know this could be true. I have mixed feelings on this one because look at the 360's that came out before. I understand the technology is different with this one, but still, anything can happen.
#24 Posted by DVombatus (78 posts) -

I could have sworn that I heard a MS rep say that there were no red LED's in the system anymore and that if you had an error the light would be green...

Don't remember where I heard it though, so who knows!  Sucks to be that guy either way ,broken Xbox already or giant fame whore on the internets.

#25 Posted by TheDoorman (532 posts) -
@Afroman269 said:
" My new one doesn't overheat that bad, I also don't have sitting next to two consoles. The console does get hot but never to the point of getting error messages. Perhaps you need to clear some space on the shelf or install your games. "
Wasnt my xbox. Havent gotten mine yet lol.
#26 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" @Diamond: Yeah, a Microsoft spokesperson said they dumped the red lights but stuck with the red dot. But, for all we know this could be true. I have mixed feelings on this one because look at the 360's that came out before. I understand the technology is different with this one, but still, anything can happen. "
Yeah the technology is different...did you take a look inside?  No intake or exhaust fans coupled with a history of overheating problems means trouble. 
#27 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I bet this guy wrapped it in blankets or something. There is no way it would have died that quickly. He just wants attention.

#28 Posted by 6ZZA (104 posts) -

definitely GPU

#29 Posted by Rhaknar (5940 posts) -
@DVombatus said:
" I could have sworn that I heard a MS rep say that there were no red LED's in the system anymore and that if you had an error the light would be green...  Don't remember where I heard it though, so who knows!  Sucks to be that guy either way ,broken Xbox already or giant fame whore on the internets. "
im pretty sure it was in GB's own unboxing video
#30 Posted by ViciousReiven (793 posts) -
@Rhaknar said:
" @DVombatus said:
" I could have sworn that I heard a MS rep say that there were no red LED's in the system anymore and that if you had an error the light would be green...  Don't remember where I heard it though, so who knows!  Sucks to be that guy either way ,broken Xbox already or giant fame whore on the internets. "
im pretty sure it was in GB's own unboxing video "
And I'm pretty sure he said  it blinks green when there are problems.
#31 Edited by MB (11297 posts) -

Forget the Xbox in that pic, dude has Ronin. Go watch that movie immediately if you haven't seen it.

Moderator Online
#32 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

when the new 360 gets too hot it shuts down automatically.

#33 Posted by TheDoorman (532 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" when the new 360 gets too hot it shuts down automatically. "
Would that means its almost impossible to cause damage to the gpu via overheating?
#34 Edited by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@TheDoorman said:

" @WilliamRLBaker said:

" when the new 360 gets too hot it shuts down automatically. "
Would that means its almost impossible to cause damage to the gpu via overheating? "
It is still possible.  Someone set the temperature threshold at which the xbox would shut down.  They could've bungled and set it too high.
#35 Edited by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

1.  The new Xbox 360s are supposed to be played standing straight up.  One of the pics in this thread...has it on its side...which means that someone had the heat GOING RIGHT BACK TO THE CONSOLE!  /facepalm 

2.  The video only shows the redesigned console playing stuff.  It did NOT show an error coded light on the power button, nor did he show us any OTHER consoles playing on it.  It could very easily have been the TV.  Moreover, look at how close he's got that console in between two other consoles.  Please, someone...anyone...does that look "well-ventilated" to you?

3.  I've seen a total of 29 E74 errors...and none of them caused that to happen.  They all just came up with a screen that said a bunch of text and then "E74" as a code at the bottom. 

4.  For all we know, he wrapped it in towels or one of a million other things to force this.

I'm calling that shit a hoax, especially because it's the ONLY case we've heard of so far from anyone at all.

#36 Posted by Raven_Sword (3386 posts) -

huh, well I cant afford to get one anyway right now. So ill wait to see if this is really happening when I have the money to get one, and make my decision then.
#37 Edited by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

" 1.  The new Xbox 360s are supposed to be played standing straight up.  One of the pics in this thread...has it on its side...which means that someone had the heat GOING RIGHT BACK TO THE CONSOLE!  /facepalm  2.  The video only shows the redesigned console playing stuff.  It did NOT show an error coded light on the power button, nor did he show us any OTHER consoles playing on it.  It could very easily have been the TV.  Moreover, look at how close he's got that console in between two other consoles.  Please, someone...anyone...does that look "well-ventilated" to you? 3.  I've seen a total of 29 E74 errors...and none of them caused that to happen.  They all just came up with a screen that said a bunch of text and then "E74" as a code at the bottom. I'm calling that shit a hoax, especially because it's the ONLY case we've heard of so far from anyone at all. "

1. No.  There are no intake or exhaust fans in the the new xbox -- the air is mostly churning inside.  The grill over the cpu/gpu heatsink and fan is still facing upward (I think) and whatever minimal amount of air is coming inside is going through there.
#38 Posted by TheDoorman (532 posts) -
@jakob187:  So you cant put it on its side. That sucks I have rug downsairs where it is so unless it comes with a stand than i can see having the xbox stand as a problem
#39 Posted by JoelTGM (5591 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" The new 360s have been out for like what, 5 days? How the hell could someone possibly play it enough to overheat already?  It's just a hoax. "
You could overheat it in five minutes, it's not something that builds up over days and days.  If that guy lived in a really hot environment, and with all those consoles around his 360, it might not have room to breathe, and it only has one fan.  If someone's computer or console overheats it's probably their fault, some people are just asking for it by blocking the vents and putting other hot running consoles near it or ontop of it.
#40 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" WTF? I wouldn't pay attention to that video.If it's the line across the screen then it has to be the television. Now a way he could've proven it was the new 360 was to turn on the 360 and start playing the game. If the lines show up then I know its the 360. "
What are you talking about... That was obviously an overheating GPU. You get vertical lines, usually, red, green, blue, or white when your GPU is overheating.
#41 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

" 1.  The new Xbox 360s are supposed to be played standing straight up.  One of the pics in this thread...has it on its side...which means that someone had the heat GOING RIGHT BACK TO THE CONSOLE!  /facepalm  2.  The video only shows the redesigned console playing stuff.  It did NOT show an error coded light on the power button, nor did he show us any OTHER consoles playing on it.  It could very easily have been the TV.  Moreover, look at how close he's got that console in between two other consoles.  Please, someone...anyone...does that look "well-ventilated" to you? 3.  I've seen a total of 29 E74 errors...and none of them caused that to happen.  They all just came up with a screen that said a bunch of text and then "E74" as a code at the bottom.  4.  For all we know, he wrapped it in towels or one of a million other things to force this. I'm calling that shit a hoax, especially because it's the ONLY case we've heard of so far from anyone at all. "

1. No, that's wrong.  They have pads on the side and a vent only on 1 side.  I assume air is supposed to blow up and out of that side vent if it's place horizontally, which would be the best way to cool the system.  Air comes in through the other vents.
2. It could have been another 360 that he had playing that had a GPU problem, with a video titled 'EVERYONE LOOK' that's what I imagine anyways.
3. I had a 360 fail that got graphics glitches that were similar and actually kind of neat looking, next time the 360 was turned on E74.
4. It's still early but it would guarantee a lot of attention to make a hoax at this point, and for someone that has that many 360s, it's possible.
#42 Posted by FakePlasticTree (449 posts) -

If that's real, then that is terrible. However, there are way too many variables in that video. It could be any number of things causing that issue, many of which would be the result of user error, not hardware failures. 

#43 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

The video doesn't really tell us much. My friend's xbox that had a gpu overheating problem (bad ventilation, though he didn't want to listen to me) didn't show the error in just this way, but that doesn't mean anything either. I will say that I have seen a TV with a screwed-up HDMI connector have similar problems. That was actually on a PS3 (though the problem had nothing to do with the console). It's easy to assert that it's an overheating problem, but without some kind of independent confirmation (which we're unlikely to get concerning this video), there's not much more to say. Except, of course, that putting your console between two other consoles is just asking for trouble.

#44 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" I bet this guy wrapped it in blankets or something. There is no way it would have died that quickly. He just wants attention. "
I was thinking the same thing. Even the old models would last for weeks, MONTHS of overheating before they finally bit the dust. I believe some outside factor played a role in this.
#45 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I am doubtful about the GPU burning itself up within 5-30 minutes, whatever. The video on that TV however, is pretty weird. 

A overheating console shouldn't be the problem. Despite the fact that the bloody thing is smaller than the original 360, the Slim model has a smaller GPU and less power consumption. The combined factor of this leads to a cooler GPU. You cannot produce more heat without more energy. If the console uses less power than the original model, then it becomes cooler. All excess energy that would otherwise turn to heat is mostly rid of. The Slim gets everything done with the same result with a GPU that's half the size of the original GPU. And to make things better, the heat source is centralized in one area where a fan and a heatsink will carry most of the air out and plenty of vents for new cooler air to go in. 

Things got much better when Jasper came around since it came with a smaller GPU, and Valhalla should be the definite end of most technical issues. There could be a fault with the motherboard than there is with a design flaw with the GPU. 

My argument that the 360 Slim will not overheat and be the most reliable 360 to date can be read here, detailing each motherboard (and GPU) revision.

#46 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -
@Burns098356GX said:
" @CL60 said:
" I bet this guy wrapped it in blankets or something. There is no way it would have died that quickly. He just wants attention. "
I was thinking the same thing. Even the old models would last for weeks, MONTHS of overheating before they finally bit the dust. I believe some outside factor played a role in this. "
Yep.  I've run an E74 machine for at least another two weeks before it wouldn't do anything more.  Leave it off for a day, then turn it back on and it'd work fine.
#47 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer: Yeah I saw them. I even posted a thread on it. Even though the previous 360 had exhaust fans it still caused problems. I'm not saying that's what did cause the RRoD though. But it sure didn't help the 360. Now this is my theory and if you can prove it wrong then that's cool, it'll only help me more. I believe that if Microsoft placed the GPU exactly how we place our CPU's in our PC's then that will help. Most of the 360 problems come from the solder balls cracking. If we can have something else hold it down then that's cool.
#48 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

If you did any overclocking on pc, you get similar type of errors. It's created by heat and you should underclock immediately or it's going to be permanent. I guess the theory is that the gpu/cpu combo is creating too much heat then.

#49 Posted by YetiAntics (1489 posts) -

ill wait when more than 10 people on the internet complain about overheating xboxes, thank you.
#50 Edited by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@ch13696 said:

" @teh_pwnzorer: Yeah I saw them. I even posted a thread on it. Even though the previous 360 had exhaust fans it still caused problems. I'm not saying that's what did cause the RRoD though. But it sure didn't help the 360. Now this is my theory and if you can prove it wrong then that's cool, it'll only help me more. I believe that if Microsoft placed the GPU exactly how we place our CPU's in our PC's then that will help. Most of the 360 problems come from the solder balls cracking. If we can have something else hold it down then that's cool. "

The RROD is caused by solder balls cracking, which is caused by overheat and stress. The popular theory is that because the console overheats, the solder balls crack under stress and pressure; so the 360 will fail overtime because its too hot. Microsoft has done two major things to combat the RROD directly: lower power consumption on newer 360 motherboards across its lifespan and shrink the GPU size. I'm by no means a science expert, but I'm pretty sure that heat comes from energy. If the 360 can get the same results with less power, then there would be less energy transferred into heat. And because the GPU is smaller, for some reason its more reliable. I haven't quite exactly figured it out, but it helps that the CPU is combined with the GPU into one chip/die; which simplifies cooling mechanics in the new console.  

Power consumption has fallen from 203 W to 135 W from the original model to the Slim (see Performance per watt). GPU size has shrunk to halve with the Slim since the original in the Valhalla motherboard (Slim version). I honestly don't know what else could be wrong with the freaking GPU and that there must be some other fault in the system causing the technical errors. I'll summarize from a previous thread that nobody bothered to post in: 

This is probably going to end up too long, so I'll have to summarize everything in this paragraph, including a neat diagram, explaining why Valhalla will be better than every other motherboards. As explained earlier, a smaller GPU is a cooler GPU. Less power consumed means a cooler system (yet achieves the same results; hence better energy to heat efficiency). Overheating is the cause of RROD. If you have a smaller GPU that uses less energy and has a big fat heatsink and fan on it (plus a bunch of vents), it's a cooler system internally. And a cooler console is a happy console. A happy console is a console that doesn't die (as often), so that in turn makes us a happy and satisfied gamer (if you don't mind paying the price tag anyways).  

Regardless, failure rates has been all time low since last reported in 2008. Figures could be outdated however and for good reasons (I wouldn't be surprised if there was a small spike). Microsoft has been presumably putting on epoxy glue since its first motherboard revision back in July 2007, which helped keep the GPU down more than the original motherboard. I think they did the same with the Slim version, but I haven't took a proper look at it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.