Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

New Xbox Experience - Rate the Preview

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By CharleyTony

I got the preview for the NXE and I have to say its good but not great...

I still dont feel like it was all that necessary to change up everything, maybe when everybody has it the party system will be usefull...
    You get better search options for the marketplace but at the same time there are stuff that seem harder to find...

It really takes some getting use to...
    You can expect a lot of bitching and moaning whn everybody gets it at the same time

2 1/2 stars out of 5 would be an appropriate score right now...

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

I think its completely stupid in almost every way, and besides the party/chat system, which I don't even find necessary, is the only real thing I don't mind. Everything else I don't think is necessary at all, and the avatars are fucking stupid.

The harddrive installs are underwhelming by far, the difference in loading is barely noticeable.   1/5

Avatar image for dude_with_a_camera
    Dude_With_A_Camera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have only watched the video, I think it looks hard to get around even more so now. And i had a few laughs when Jeff said it defaulted to the ad section as well. The mii I mean avatar is well just that a rip off. Is this going to be used in anything or just for the dashboard ? The only thing I am interested in after seeing the video is the option to play the games from the hard drive. I only have the 20gb so I can only have 1 or two i bet installed at a time. I don't think it would delete the save file if you delete the game off of it ? I wonder how long it takes to download the game to the HD.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Red

I like it. The avatars are a rip-off but my family just thinks that Hey, look at my little guy! He's so cool!

Looks nice and might get me into the Xbox Live community. Hopefully that censoring program will work so that I'll finally want to turn on voice chat.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By samfo

5/5 - Dashboard sucks

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb

5 stars, it looks awesome.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CharleyTony

I had to almost delete everything I had on my 20 GB to get to install one game, in this case Fable 2 which takes 6.8 GB !!! I think its basically an image of the disc ( *.iso) so all the discs, evene the arcade unplugged would take up around 5 GB or more ! And the fact that you need to have the disc in at all times is normal when you think of piracy but in the end you only get minimal load time shavings and less noice...

I think the avatars are cool, Im just a little underwelmed that they had to change up everything, When did the 21.79 Million xbox 360 customers say that the interface was garbage ??? Moving around the marketplace content does help in some cases but in others they make finding some stuff harder ... again nothing worth the effort of changing everything

so you get Avatars, party chat, thats it !

by the way american xbox 360 users can download a photo party sharing thing, its not actually part of the NXE, its a seperate application that you need to download ( and only works with NXE I guess)

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

Yeah, disk install is stupid. Really stupid. But I like the new layout of the dashboard and the bigger emphasis on community.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb
    CharleyTony said:
    "I had to almost delete everything I had on my 20 GB to get to install one game, in this case Fable 2 which takes 6.8 GB !!! I think its basically an image of the disc ( *.iso) so all the discs, evene the arcade unplugged would take up around 5 GB or more ! And the fact that you need to have the disc in at all times is normal when you think of piracy but in the end you only get minimal load time shavings and less noice...

I think the avatars are cool, Im just a little underwelmed that they had to change up everything, When did the 21.79 Million xbox 360 customers say that the interface was garbage ??? Moving around the marketplace content does help in some cases but in others they make finding some stuff harder ... again nothing worth the effort of changing everything

so you get Avatars, party chat, thats it !

by the way american xbox 360 users can download a photo party sharing thing, its not actually part of the NXE, its a seperate application that you need to download ( and only works with NXE I guess)"

The one thing about this NXE that simply doesn't make sense to me is downloading games onto the HDD. If you can't play the game without the disk, what the hell is the point? Jeff was saying in the video that the "speed" isn't significantly different either. I've got the Elite's 120GB HDD but it doesn't seem to be worth it if I still have to exchange disks anyway.

That aside, I'm actually excited about the avatars. They look more fun, more customizable, and more asthetically pleasing than the Mii's. November 19th, hurry up already!
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CharleyTony

after trying it I can say that for loading times, you wont "feel" the difference but every 20 seconds of loading you get to save 1 or 2 seconds, Where the speed becomes an issues is that in some cases I found that textures were loaded a little bit faster, but in the end it doesnt warrant a 15 minute install process, its not like the PS3 where they only install some of it in order to fix the transfer rate issues that came with a 1X blu-ray drive...
    so if you have an elite, that space could help you save a couple of seconds here and there and mostly reduce disc noice (especially for streaming worlds like fable2 gta4 etc.)

if you have a 20GB its not worth it at all ( I guess thats why they are selling 60 GB units now), just PRESS VOLUME UP twice and your good !

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiggerBomb

I might be impatient, but I'm not soooo impatient that I'm willing to go through 15 minutes (seriously?) of installation just for a few seconds of in-game loading time reprieve.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CharleyTony

Im not saying its exactly 15 minutes , supposedly the transfer rate is 1.5 GB per minute but it certainly feels like 15 minutes for a big game (watching a progress bar and not being able to do anything else)

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BiggerBomb

/shrug

We'll see. Can't wait, though! It looks much cooler than the Blades. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm really excited.

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Jordan23

The new dashboard looks amazing. 

(5 out 5)
    Avatar image for aversiontherapy
    AversionTherapy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AversionTherapy

Yeah i cant wait to get it 5/5

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By pyromaniac

meh..I am kinda indifferent to it, I would give it a 3.5/5....at best

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I have it too.  THe guide is the most important thing to me really, and it kicks ass.  And then the marketplace let's you actually see stuff before you download.
    It does feel like it's missing stuff though.  Once everyone has it the thing should come to life (ex. black avatars and whatnot)

Muze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Muze

It looks good to me.

I_urMiNE_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By I_urMiNE_I

I like it a lot. Mostly for the new guide which makes everything much easier to navigate. When your looking at the settings screen or something, it takes to much time going back (pressing B). But with the guide, you just pop it up and go to whatever you want to do. Installing games works really good too. I tried Mass Effect, didn't really help the texture pop in. But I did notice a faster loading screen and of course the reduced sound. Overall I'd give it 4/5, probably 5/5 when I've tried everything.

thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thanatos990

Lame

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#22  Edited By wefwefasdf

I personally like the disk install. My 360 is really loud and produces a lot of heat so anything to minimize that is appreciated.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Relys

I just want it for the party/chat.

Dark_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dark_Shadow

I love it, but it makes me sick when I think they copied the "Mii's"...

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#25  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Dark_Shadow said:
    "I love it, but it makes me sick when I think they copied the "Mii's"..."
    haha I know what you mean.
    thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thanatos990

Dumb no other words to discribe it

SgtReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27  Edited By SgtReznor

five stars

I can't wait for it

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Joru

It looks much better and easier to use than the old dashboard. The thing I like the most is the new marketplace.

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jordan23

I'm such a NXE fanboy and I can't wait until November 19, 2008 arrives.

mordecaix7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

#30  Edited By mordecaix7
    Red said:
    "Yeah, disk install is stupid. Really stupid. But I like the new layout of the dashboard and the bigger emphasis on community."
    How about thinking about disk install from this angle:

Install Game = drive doesn't spin = less noise and less heat = fans work less = much less chance of RRoD

I've got an older 360 that's starting to get disc read errors and i'm getting pretty worried about that RRoD, partly because my warranty will be coming due in march of '09.  So the disc install is greatly appreciated.

From previews, NXE gets 5/5 from me.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CharleyTony

dvd drives getting read errors: dont know if it'll work
    installing a game onto the hard drive with a working disc and using a damaged (or in my case chipped) disc of the same game to let me play of the hard drive does work great !

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I want to copy the games on my HDD . that is all

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By CreamyGoodness

4 of five, installing games is great but wvwrything else seems forced and unnescasary

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DoctorTran

Just got in today... I'll throw up my impressions tomorrow.

Avatar image for dr_shiggityshwa
    Dr_shiggityshwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By Dr_shiggityshwa

I just got it today and have messed around with it a little. It took a little while to find everything but once I got used to it I like it. Everything seems to just be a lot quicker than before, which is very appreciative. The avatars are a gimmick but they don't bother me there alright. The game installs may not be that great but at least it keeps the system quiet and it doesn't take that long to install (have Gears 2 installing now and its taking less than 10 mins). With everything I've seen so far I think its a great update but I wont really be able to tell until the rest of the public has it and I will then be able to use all of the features.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DoctorTran

I got too excited last night. I read the time as 2AM... it was actually 2PM. So... I have half an hour to go.

BoomBastick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BoomBastick
    pause422 said:
    "I think its completely stupid in almost every way, and besides the party/chat system, which I don't even find necessary, is the only real thing I don't mind. Everything else I don't think is necessary at all, and the avatars are fucking stupid.

The harddrive installs are underwhelming by far, the difference in loading is barely noticeable.   1/5"
    You might not see the advantage now cause the games were not developed for installs in mind..Fututre games will benefit from it also it takes away any feras of your disk getting scratched
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DoctorTran

4.5 out of 5

I drop it half a point because It was freezing up left and right and red ringed me. After letting it sit off the Red ring, I booted it up, it froze after 15 minutes. I called Support, they told me to clear the cache, and it now works like a fuckin' champ.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By Snail
    Red said:
    "I like it. The avatars are a rip-off "
    Microsoft ripped off Mii's, EyeToy and Buzz.
    AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By AkumaX

I'd give it 4/5, it's far superior tbh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.