New Xbox live dashboard is out today

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Witzig (327 posts) -

The new Xbox live dashboard is out today and I was wondering what you guys think of it? I've been messing around with it for I believe two month now and well I think it's better than the last one. I want to your imput of the new dashboard Giantbomb.

#2 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

Better than the last one but still is bad in my opinion. Maybe it will grow on me but they will never exceed the PS3 XMB. Once you learn where everything is you can whip around that thing so fast.

#3 Posted by ShaggE (6402 posts) -

The NNNXE? I'll have to take a gander at it later. What did they change?

#4 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

The NNNXE?

Not Nowhere Near (a good) Xbox Experience

#5 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

It's an unintuitive mess in a long line of unintuitive messes. If you ever wanted a textbook case of why you don't let your marketing department design your UI here it is.

#6 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

Is this coming out in Canada? Just turned on the box ad no update or anything.

#7 Posted by mustachioeugene (505 posts) -

@laserbolts: just updating mine now and I'm in Canada.

#8 Posted by Alpha1 (254 posts) -

I miss the blades :(

#9 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

OMG my dash performance increased and it doesn't hang anymore when pressing the guide button!

I'm totally lying, but I did post this from Internet Explorer, though!

#10 Posted by phantomzxro (1571 posts) -

Seems about the same, they cleaned it up a bit so now it does not look like your play games icon is going to be swallowed up by ads space. So other then that it still kinda sucks.

#11 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1107 posts) -

You're better off calling it an adboard.

#12 Posted by J12088 (443 posts) -

They stopped making it user friendly long ago it's now advert friendly first and foremost. Used to be great. Now it's horrible. Shouldnt be too surprised it is from the same company that owns and runs msn messenger.

#13 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@jonnyboy said:

It's an unintuitive mess in a long line of unintuitive messes. If you ever wanted a textbook case of why you don't let your marketing department design your UI here it is.

QFT.

I wonder if the guys are gonna do a QL for it. I've always found those entertaining.

#14 Edited by YOUNGLINK (544 posts) -

My experience with the beta had some changes, browser, pins, etc. Its still slow and full of ads. At least its something, maybe?!?

#15 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -
@George_Hukas said:

OMG my dash performance increased and it doesn't hang anymore when pressing the guide button!

AND IT FEELS LIKE I AM JUST TOO CLOSE TO LOVE YOU
#16 Posted by KaneRobot (1509 posts) -

Had it for a while now (beta) and it's not a huge improvement by any means, but the one thing I will say for it is the quick launch history loads up almost immediately. The fact that it took literally 10-20 seconds to load for me before was the thing I hated most about the prior version.

#17 Posted by Witzig (327 posts) -

@KaneRobot: I totally agree with you.

#18 Posted by dcgc (878 posts) -

"Blades" Dashboard is still the best one. M$ just keeps failing.

#19 Posted by GunstarRed (5103 posts) -

I've had it for a while, it's still reaaaaaaaaaaally slow, but I am glad that the games tab has been moved a couple of places to the left.

I'm glad it's out today I was getting sick of it constantly updating.

#20 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

Oh right I forgot I've been in the preview program for a while now. Yeah it's better than the last one but it still sucks overall, loading stuff up on it takes way too fucking long and Steam Big Picture has spoiled me rotten.

#21 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Sounds like I'll still be booting directly to the disc.

#22 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Weird, I signed a new terms of agreement but nothing downloaded or changed.

#23 Posted by big_jon (5723 posts) -
#24 Posted by DeathbyYeti (743 posts) -

i was in the beta and my performance decreased with the dashboard sometimes never loading up

One thing I did notice is now I get offline ads. They managed to work ads when I am not connected to the internet

#25 Posted by IceColdGamer (605 posts) -

No updates here. I'm in Ottawa, Canada.

#26 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

@msavo said:

Better than the last one but still is bad in my opinion. Maybe it will grow on me but they will never exceed the PS3 XMB. Once you learn where everything is you can whip around that thing so fast.

Having to learn what menu a certain option is hiding away in isn't good design. If you're unfamiliar with it, you can spend minutes going back and forth.

Granted, it's probably better than the ad clustered mess of the Xbox, but I've at least never had problems actually finding options on the Xbox.

#27 Posted by Witzig (327 posts) -

@big_jon: I made this topic in general discussion which was promptly moved to the Xbox 360 forums by one of the mods within a few minutes of posting. If this thread is a double posting, then mods feel free to delete this thread.

#28 Posted by Peter (327 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@ShaggE said:

The NNNXE?

That's a double negative, so its good?

#29 Posted by thebeastwithtwobacks (140 posts) -

@MideonNViscera said:

Weird, I signed a new terms of agreement but nothing downloaded or changed.

samesies

#30 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I like how Microsoft went from making Metro seem like a cool, fresh UI to overusing it on everything and now it just seems old and shit. It especially doesn't work well on a controller, let alone a keyboard and mouse on Windows 8.

@WinterSnowblind said:

@msavo said:

Having to learn what menu a certain option is hiding away in isn't good design. If you're unfamiliar with it, you can spend minutes going back and forth.

Granted, it's probably better than the ad clustered mess of the Xbox, but I've at least never had problems actually finding options on the Xbox.

How can you have issues finding things on the XMB? It's always been very obvious to me where things likely are, and the menus are so quick to open and close that flicking through it is pretty hassle free. Unlike the dashboard.

#31 Posted by lclay (383 posts) -

Man when I turn my xbox on in mid december to play the walking dead, this will be really annoying.

#32 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1561 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@ShaggE said:

The NNNXE?

Wait, I thought this was the NNNNXE. The New, Now Not Navigatable Xbox Experience.

#33 Posted by Phatmac (5724 posts) -

I agreed to the new terms but the dash is still the same. :(

#34 Posted by tripmills (23 posts) -

waaaa I want the update but it hasnt landed here yet. Just curious - anyone on the centeral east coast US get the update yet?

#35 Posted by Demoskinos (14730 posts) -

@tripmills: I've tried a few times today... still nothing doing.

#36 Posted by HistoryInRust (6289 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

@George_Hukas said:

AND IT FEELS LIKE I AM JUST TOO CLOSE TO LOVE YOU

Goddammit.

#37 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1025 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@msavo said:

How can you have issues finding things on the XMB? It's always been very obvious to me where things likely are, and the menus are so quick to open and close that flicking through it is pretty hassle free. Unlike the dashboard.

It is mostly the stuff in the settings tab that are not organized and named very well. For example, to find how much space is free/used on the hard drive i have to go to settings/system settings/system information which is not very intuitive. They could also combine some things into similar category's, like music and audio settings, and video and display settings. And things like the time settings should be hidden in the system settings menu, and the information on how space is being used on the hard drive should be better and more upfront.

#38 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

Pins are nice.

#39 Posted by EndlessObsidian (474 posts) -

Checking in from Canadaland here. Any other fellow Canucks receive the update yet as I have not.

#40 Posted by Gamer_152 (14065 posts) -

Shutting down this duplicate, original thread is here.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.