Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Next year will be my first console generation switch

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deanoxd

So, i never played console video games as a kid i think do to my age, when i started playing games it was with PC's. So after the 360 and PS3 had launched i made the decision to jump in to this console generation and lately i have been thinking what will i do with my 360 and PS3 when the new consoles hit. I will be buying a Xbox and PS4 so do i hang on to the old stuff, will i need it or do i just try and sell everything for whatever i can get for it.

So for all of you who have made these switches before have you kept all your stuff for whatever reason or do you get rid of it start all new again?

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

I sell after the next generation hits. Well, I don't actually sell - I always end up just giving my consoles away.

It all depends on whether you are going to play your older games again. For me, once I'm finished with a game I'll never play it again.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Dixavd

I never give games or consoles away but especiallly with consoles as I can never be sure if the backwards compatibility will include all the previous generations games (like for instance the Xbox 360 which didn't/doesn't have full compatability with all previous Xbox games).

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deanoxd

@Andorski: I rarely replay games once i am done the Mass Effect series is the only ones i have played multiple times, and any mp games that i play will have newer versions in the next generation.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By DoctorWelch

Always keep your consoles. I still have my NES, Genesis, and N64 from way back then.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Slay3r1583

For me it all depends on if the new system can play the old games. If yes get rid of the old hardware and keep the games if no keep everything.

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sockemjetpack

I made the mistake of selling my Saturn back in the day. Also I only have a handful of PS1 games because I was in my trade-in phase. I still have my Master System, NES and Genesis games but I was a big renter back in those days so there is a distinct lack of games in my tubs.

So yeah... keep your stuff and keep them in good shape because one day you'll be glad you did. I still bust out the SMS and play the definitive version of Double Dragon every once in a while. I'd love to do that with Nights but alas my Saturn is long gone.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

I still have all mine. 'cause what's the £15 I would get for them?

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By jay_ray

The problem is that the PS2 was the first home console to be backwards compatible, keeping a PSX was not necessary since the PS2 was fully compatible. However the current gen messed this up with the 360 having patchy BC and the PS3 supporting BC but eventually dropping it. So if you want to play old games the PSX was the only console you could get rid of and legally continue to play the games (could do that with the PS2 if you had a first gen PS3). To answer your question I keep them.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By musubi

I still replay old games so I keep my games.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Dany

As long as xbox don't fuck it up, I'm sticking with MS.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Dany said:

As long as xbox don't fuck it up, I'm sticking with MS.

I don't think that's what the thread was about. 

Anyway, I've never sold or traded in a video game or a console. I still have everything back to my NESs. The small cash value is not worth the sentimental value. Ten years from now you might want to pull the 360 out of the closet and mess around with some of your favorite games from this generation.
    mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mandude

I sold ALLLL my old games and consoles to pay for a PS3, mainly because I was fuck out of money. I've moved too many times to care about holding onto old crap I never use anymore.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Dany

@ajamafalous: I was referring to the way they handle backward compatibility. The first 6 months or so are key to have BC work. I tend to sell most of my stuff when I get a new console, or thats what I did with the original xbox

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Dany said:

@ajamafalous: I was referring to the way they handle backward compatibility. The first 6 months or so are key to have BC work. I tend to sell most of my stuff when I get a new console, or thats what I did with the original xbox

Ah, well, very good.
    RustySanderke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RustySanderke

I keep all my consoles, handhelds, and games and revel in the nostalgia every once in a while.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deanoxd

Thnx for input i think i will hang on to things then, because i do have a old 360 elite and new 360s and 60gb fat PS3. Even though i am not person who replays a lot of games i do hope MS and Sony don't botch backwards compatibility.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Dagbiker

@DeanoXD: I have always keepet my old consoles. I rarely ever keep them plugged in, and often loose them, but I like the thought that I would be able to go back to it if I could. I do have my ps2 plugged in. And have been looking for the power cord for my gamecube. I never owned an Original Xbox. And I still have my N64.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

This will be the first one where I have enough money to buy a console on launch. I didn't have a steady job until 2006.

Of course now it's "why would I pay 600 dollars for shitty launch games that are also on PC?". Consoles don't show their worth until a couple years later.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By supamon

I still keep all my consoles. The first being the NES but I think the fuse is blown and my mom threw away the games like super mario years ago so I'll have to put in some work to get it working again.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

At the very least keep all your games, especially the rare ones. Consoles are easier to re-buy if you ever were to get the urge. Unless space is a issue I say keep all of it.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Orbitz89

Unless something extraordinary happens, I probably won't be participating in the next home console generation. I would much rather play the games I have then buy a new system and all new games yet again.. getting tired of it. I have a moderate PC that I can use for most of my gaming needs anyway.

But to answer your question about getting rid of old hardware once the new generation comes out, I still have my Gamecubes ( I actually have two, one that I got during it's life cycle and one that I bought brand new in 2007 ) that I still play on a regular basis to this day... and my N64 is in storage somewhere.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Patman99

Since I was a kid/teenager and didnt really have any money, I sold all the consoles and games I owned before the original Xbox in order to buy the next generation. However, now that I have a little more spending power, Im going to keep all my shit. I ended up buying a shit ton of NES/SNES stuff roughly 5 years ago and still collect today. So no sense for me to throw everything else out.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By haffy

I don't see the point in keeping stuff I won't use, just a waste of space. But I'm not the sort of person to go back and play old games often, unless they're on the PC.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

I've changed my behaviour over the years. I sold my Megadrive to put money towards a Playstation, and then once I got enough money for a PS2 I traded the PS1 for a Dreamcast. Later on I ended up buying another Megadrive and hunted down a number of my old games for that. Now I don't think I'll trade away any of my consoles, since the only worthwhile thing I'll probably get from them is storage space. The cash isn't enough.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#26  Edited By beargirl1

i keep all my stuff, because it's always fun to go back and play 'em every so often to remind you of how much gaming has progressed or gone backwards.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Vinny_Says

I was still playing original xbox until 2009. I eventually bought an xbox 360 but it wasn't fully backwards compatible (not being able to play Brothers in Arms is a travesty) so I kept it. I also sometimes play my old N64 from when I was a kid.

I would understand as a kid with little money it would make sense to sell off the old stuff but at this point for me I would rather keep the memories than make a few dollars.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By myniceicelife

there's still a Atari 2600 and Intellivision laying around here somewhere so I never get rid of a console. Not only because you never know about backwards compatibility, but because you never know when one of the new consoles will die early on in the generation. always good to have a back up plan. that and we also have some exercise equipment downstairs so i can use that and have my PS2 hooked up so I can play some Persona 4 while not being a complete lazy ass.

Keavy_Rain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Keavy_Rain

I used to sell, but that was back when I had to do so to pay for my hobby. Now, I have the income necessary to build and maintain a game collection. It feels good to know I can pop in Fallout 3 or Crackdwn and play them whenever I want, whereas in the past I'd have to see if I had enough to buy a used copy at GameStop and possibly get a disc-only copy I'd later trade in.

liquidfox00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By liquidfox00

Once I have the Sony or Microsoft machine I'll give the old consoles away as long as the new are fully compatible with my games from the past generation. The most I would sell them for would be $50 just so could buy a game for the new system.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By csl316

I keep everything. Even busted systems.

Masakari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Masakari

I always keep my consoles and games, since I'm a collector nut. If they remain connected to the TV is another matter, depends if the next one has backwards compatibility, for example.

Currently, I have 3 connected to the TV, ready to play - 360, PS3, Dreamcast.

I plan on getting the next Xbox, but not the PS4, unless there's some new IPs that warrant it. My PS3 mostly gets used to watch movies, I'm a bit indifferent to most of the Sony franchises / exclusives.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.