Not like this....Not like this....

Posted by PhilESkyline (781 posts) -

You see the picture. E 74 error screen and it's no longer under warranty.  I tried unplugging everything and replacing the HDMI cables with the Xbox AV cables but no help. Last thing I played before it died was Mass Effect 1. I guess the graphics were too much for it to handle. Any help would be welcomed as I cannot spare the extra to purchase a new or refurbished one at the moment. 

P.S. This is what went through my mind when the error screen appeared. 

#1 Posted by PhilESkyline (781 posts) -

You see the picture. E 74 error screen and it's no longer under warranty.  I tried unplugging everything and replacing the HDMI cables with the Xbox AV cables but no help. Last thing I played before it died was Mass Effect 1. I guess the graphics were too much for it to handle. Any help would be welcomed as I cannot spare the extra to purchase a new or refurbished one at the moment. 

P.S. This is what went through my mind when the error screen appeared. 

#2 Posted by laserbolts (5337 posts) -

I've been there and I feel your pain.

#3 Edited by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

They will still replace it.  RRoD is covered regardless of the warranty coverage. 

EDIT: at least... if you don't have RRoD, the E74 warning has always led to RRoD for me.

#4 Posted by Andorski (5351 posts) -

Let's all have a moment of silence, please...

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13254 posts) -

Bummer. I've got a feeling mine is going to go soon, it's locked up like 5 times this week.

#6 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@Andorski said:
" Let's all have a moment of silence, please... "
If we had a moment of silence every time someone's XBox died we would be a world of mutes.
#7 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

It's time to upgrade... TO 3D.

#8 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

My Atari 2600 still works you know.

Bloody Microsoft.

#9 Posted by big_jon (5770 posts) -

That suck dude, try calling Microsoft and saying that it has the ring of death 
 I did that when mine had it's  disk drive broken, it worked.
#10 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -

You should call Bill Gates and complain.  I bet he will totally regive you your 360 back.  Just check!  Its in your warrandty. 

#11 Posted by Mento (2730 posts) -

Sucks man, E74 is like the worst E. Except maybe Emphysema. Or Ebola.

What I'm trying to say is I'm sorry your Xbox has Ebola.

#12 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

Damn that sucks.  I'm constantly freaked out that it'll happen to me again.

#13 Posted by audiosnag (1604 posts) -

That sucks. They'll fix it though, E74 and RRoD get taken care of pretty quick. Just go online and do the whole repair request mumbo jumbo and you should have a new one a few weeks after you send it away.

#14 Posted by Rockdalf (1293 posts) -
@PhilESkyline: 
#15 Posted by Gamer_152 (14098 posts) -

I shed a single tear for your loss.

#16 Posted by TheSmashing (313 posts) -

RIP

#17 Posted by xyzygy (10062 posts) -

They might still take it for repairs. My friend gave me her xbox that red ringed (because she basically suffocated the poor thing - no air was getting at it) and it was from 2006. I sent it away last year, got a refurbished one, and sold it :P

#18 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5456 posts) -

I've lied three times now and have said my 360 got the RROD when it was some other issue that wasn't covered, and I've always gotten a replacement within a week with no charges or questions asked. 

Just lie!

#19 Posted by rubsnick (162 posts) -
@PhilESkyline: Yeap same shit happend to me.... worse of all now gamestop is offering free 25 buck gift card with the purcahse of a new xbox slim... I bought one on last saturday..... I'f only i'd have waited two days! FUCK!
#20 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

This may make you feel better. Our tax dollars hard at work. . . 

#21 Posted by Daroki (717 posts) -
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" This may make you feel better. Our tax dollars hard at work. . . 

"
Remind me that I never want to work in the mess with those guys.  "I said I wanted my burger KETCHUP ONLY BITCH!"
#22 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I never got an error report, but my Xbox 360 broke after two years of play, payed $99/US and got a brand new one. Not the slim, but it's worked out great. Having a good time.

#23 Posted by PillClinton (3292 posts) -

I bought my xbox right when they updated to the "jasper chip", and it's lasted me a good 2 1/2 years with no problems at all.  *knock on wood*  

but I'm sorry for your loss. 

#24 Posted by Tebbit (4480 posts) -
@McGhee_the_Insomniac: That is just fantastic
#25 Posted by Khann (2904 posts) -

Get one of those RROD repair kits from eBay. I got one for my Xbox.. took me all day to install the thing (had to redo it twice because I didnt know what I'd done wrong) 

Haven't had a problem with my Xbox since.

#26 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2713 posts) -

Was I the only one that thought of the Matrix Online thing GB did a year or so back?
#27 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1666 posts) -
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
" Was I the only one that thought of the Matrix Online thing GB did a year or so back? "
#28 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@Bloodgraiv3:    
#29 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Just like losing a loved one isnt it? :(

#30 Posted by PhilESkyline (781 posts) -
#31 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

well that sucks man.

#32 Posted by Portis (1290 posts) -

Well, that sucks. I've gone through 2 Xbox 360's thus far, my current is one that Microsoft repaired, and it's been running great for over 2 years now. Still thinking about getting an Xbox 360 S, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.