People complaining about Avatars.

#1 Edited by CasualJoe (23 posts) -

I'm really beginning to get pissed off by people who are ranting the soon to be released avatar system for the dashboard. What's the problem with having this avatar thing around the dashboard, from what I've seen you barely see it anyway, and some websites claim that you can still use your current gamer picture anyway so i just don't get the problem.

What do you guys think.

#2 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I think people wanted it to be a bit more realistic rather than cartoony. That's what I wanted anyway, then again I didn't even want an avatar system. I don't complain about it, it's easy to accept and seeing as you'll be able to download new clothing and accessories seems pretty great. My main draw is the party system, I've always wanted one and am glad they came out with one.

#3 Edited by CasualJoe (23 posts) -

Why are you assuming that I'm a casual gamer by my nickname?

Anyway making if it were realistic it would have been named a home copy, right?

#4 Posted by FourSerioux (21 posts) -

The only complaining I've heard is just people hating on the entire Avatar system and how it is being forced on them.  Personally I don't understand that view point as really you can just complete ignore it if you want, with the exception of if you want to use the new party system.

The only issue I can see arising is how your friends list will be shown through avatars, and if you get lots of people on at once it could get pretty crowded.  I hope they still keep an option to view the friends list as it is now, and I'm willing to bet you'll be able to do that through the guide.
#5 Posted by CasualJoe (23 posts) -

The new guide button dashboard probably allows a list of friends to be shown. I'm pretty sure that's covered somewhere.

#6 Posted by Bladefire (214 posts) -
CasualJoe said:
"Why are you assuming that I'm a casual gamer by my nickname? That makes no sense at all.

"
You're right in that they're kind of fucked either way they go, looks to me like they tried to split the middle.
#7 Posted by MAV3R1CK (125 posts) -

Well, the thing to remember is that Microsoft is aiming at a more casual experience. They are being geared towards hardcore and casual at the same time. With that being said, the main consensus of getting more casual gamers is by going with avatars. You can still use your old gamerpics and themes as Microsoft has said, but basically its a win win situation for both sides of gamers.

#8 Posted by sizu (391 posts) -
CasualJoe said:
"Why are you assuming that I'm a casual gamer by my nickname?

"

So now its a Mii clone.  GG Microsoft.
#9 Posted by SlayingShogun (257 posts) -

The avatars are alright i can go wither way besides I'm not exactly gonna be on the dashboard or playing uno exclusively anyway. Like Vinchenzo said the party system is what I'm really looking forward to

#10 Posted by CasualJoe (23 posts) -

Well, i think they tried by letting Rare do the Avatar models and skins, maybe they will look differently from what we have seen.

Atleast they have hands, right :V

#11 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
CasualJoe said:
"I'm really beginning to get pissed off by people who are ranting the soon to be released avatar system for the dashboard. What's the problem with having this avatar thing around the dashboard, from what I've seen you barely see it anyway, and some websites claim that you can still use your current gamer picture anyway so i just don't get the problem.

What do you guys think.
"

I am actually really "PISSED" with the who are saying avatars are good and dandy. But if PS3 came out like that you would go insane saying they copied and whatnot.

Avatars are an exact copy of Homes avatars, and Wii's Mii's together. Home debuted in 07 and they talked about avatars, now MS comes out a year later with a concept, with the same title, copying features from Home, and saying you can't do that on any other system... pffft. Seriously, MS is starting to just rip everyone off, and in non-intuitive and creative ways. Copying is great, when you take an idea and make it even better, but there is a difference between that, and stealing an idea and slapping a new name on it.

If Sony did something like this, everyone would go insane, but its just fine if MS does it. Then look at the 360's Wii-mote/SIXAXIS rip off. You know the term they are using for that? "Six degrees of freedom", which is exactly what Sony back in 06, but everyone said 'Lol what a Wii rip off", but since 360 is doing two years later its just fine? Come on people wake up a bit.
#12 Posted by Subway (971 posts) -

As long as they have a lot of customization, I think they're kinda cool =[

#13 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
Subway said:
"As long as they have a lot of customization, I think they're kinda cool =[
"

Thats the thing, in Home the avatars are so customizable you wouldn't imagine, yet no one pays attention, but when something like 360 cartoonish avatars come out people praise it for how much customizability it will have?

The avatars lips, eyes, cheeks, ears, hair, mouth, nose, chin, jaw, neck, head, eyebrows, weight, height, and more can all be customized greatly. I'm in the beta, and let me tell you; the character customization is awesome. You can change the eye shape, the eye color, the bags under the eye, the how close how far, how symmetrical the eyes are, and so on. Everything can be greatly altered, but this is not looked upon as a cool thing or a major feature, because people seem to disregard it. But if 360 had something like this? Well you know what would happen, people would be all over it..
#14 Posted by MOLE (321 posts) -
Sentry said:
"CasualJoe said:
"I'm really beginning to get pissed off by people who are ranting the soon to be released avatar system for the dashboard. What's the problem with having this avatar thing around the dashboard, from what I've seen you barely see it anyway, and some websites claim that you can still use your current gamer picture anyway so i just don't get the problem.

What do you guys think.
"

I am actually really "PISSED" with the who are saying avatars are good and dandy. But if PS3 came out like that you would go insane saying they copied and whatnot.

Avatars are an exact copy of Homes avatars, and Wii's Mii's together. Home debuted in 07 and they talked about avatars, now MS comes out a year later with a concept, with the same title, copying features from Home, and saying you can't do that on any other system... pffft. Seriously, MS is starting to just rip everyone off, and in non-intuitive and creative ways. Copying is great, when you take an idea and make it even better, but there is a difference between that, and stealing an idea and slapping a new name on it.

If Sony did something like this, everyone would go insane, but its just fine if MS does it. Then look at the 360's Wii-mote/SIXAXIS rip off. You know the term they are using for that? "Six degrees of freedom", which is exactly what Sony back in 06, but everyone said 'Lol what a Wii rip off", but since 360 is doing two years later its just fine? Come on people wake up a bit.
"

Ok, so you say MS copied the Miis and Home.  But Sony copied MS way more, they even copied the home button on the 360, they even copied the ability to listen to music while in game.  And they even COPIED the acheivment system, but instead they call it Trophies.

Face it, you know Sony copied MS

And if you really knew about the history of video games, you would realise that the game Pong is a rippoff of another game.  Atari didn't come up with the concept.
#15 Posted by JNYR (112 posts) -
DUDE I'm typing in BOLD letters to show that I'm SERIOUS.
#16 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -
armacore said:
"CasualJoe"
i lol'd
#17 Posted by thebrassthief (70 posts) -

I just don't like the new interface period. It's ugly, it looks disorganized, and the Mii- I mean avatars are dumb looking.

#18 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
MOLE said:
"Sentry said:
"CasualJoe said:

What do you guys think.
"

"

Ok, so you say MS copied the Miis and Home.  But Sony copied MS way more, they even copied the home button on the 360, they even copied the ability to listen to music while in game.  And they even COPIED the acheivment system, but instead they call it Trophies.

And if you really knew about the history of video games, you would realise that the game Pong is a rippoff of another game.  Atari didn't come up with the concept.
"

So you are ignoring the fact MS is blatantly copying, and ignoring my facts an d points, to then tell me Sony copied what? The PS button? LOL, if you HONESTLY think they copied that concept, you are mistaken, PS3 wasn't the first product to have a home button, PSP had one as well (press the Home button, ask you if you want to quit to go to the XMB, on the PSP). Its not exactly a feature, its mandatory. And how the hell are they copying music in-game? Pulling the XMB up in game is NOT copying, they had the concept since 2005, shown, the XMB is the menu, where you have your videos, music, photos, internet, etc. So being able to access one of those in-game (music), isn't copying MS at all, thats just the fact, you cannot deny it.

If anything achievements 'copied' skill points from the R&C games, which came out in 2002. You have a list of skill points in the game, each one worth a certain amount of points, when you unlock it in the game a notification comes up with a sound, saying you just unlocked XXXX. Insomniac has even asked Major Nelson, I believe it was, if they made achievements off of the skill point system or if it was inspired by it. He said pretty much that he doesn't know exactly, since the team who created achievements wasn't just him, it was a group. Are trophies really copying achievements? No, I dont think so, I think trophies and achievements are just a new take on an old concept. Btw, trophies are not exactly like achievements at all (so you may think if you dont own a PS3), only similarity between the two is you do something in-game, and unlock a reward, and that similarity can be found in games way way back before PS3 or 360, like R&C.

Like I said copying is fine when it innovates, does something new with it, not just copying and slap a new name. And I see MS doing the latter. Lips for example, a SingStar clone, I wouldn't call a copy, well I would but not in the bad way. Because it looks to be a great game with a lot of new features SingStar didn't have, even though it looks exactly like SingStar and it plays like it. So there is a big difference between what MS is doing, and the industry has done in the past.
#19 Posted by Eonkid (17 posts) -

The avatars can be used if you want, it is an addition for those who want something better than crappy Mii's, with more customization and more realistic look(and if you think the MS avatars and Miis look alike, stick a pen in your eye damnit).

And if your like me, and don't give a damn, you can ignore it.

#20 Posted by Pikachu (449 posts) -

i dont get what everyone is complaining about either if you still have the option not to use it

#21 Edited by Subway (971 posts) -
Sentry said:
"Subway said:
"As long as they have a lot of customization, I think they're kinda cool =[
"

Thats the thing, in Home the avatars are so customizable you wouldn't imagine, yet no one pays attention, but when something like 360 cartoonish avatars come out people praise it for how much customizability it will have?

The avatars lips, eyes, cheeks, ears, hair, mouth, nose, chin, jaw, neck, head, eyebrows, weight, height, and more can all be customized greatly. I'm in the beta, and let me tell you; the character customization is awesome. You can change the eye shape, the eye color, the bags under the eye, the how close how far, how symmetrical the eyes are, and so on. Everything can be greatly altered, but this is not looked upon as a cool thing or a major feature, because people seem to disregard it. But if 360 had something like this? Well you know what would happen, people would be all over it..
"

I don't really want to make my guy look just like me, that's just weird to me, the option to make a cartoon version of myself however is more intriguing, I quite liked the Mii's when I had my wii.
#22 Posted by Txheat (133 posts) -
armacore said:
"CasualJoe"
Simple as that, do gears of war players want candey and avatars.
#23 Posted by MOLE (321 posts) -
Sentry said:
"MOLE said:
"Sentry said:
"CasualJoe said:

What do you guys think.
"

"

"

So you are ignoring the fact MS is blatantly copying, and ignoring my facts an d points, to then tell me Sony copied what? The PS button? LOL, if you HONESTLY think they copied that concept, you are mistaken, PS3 wasn't the first product to have a home button, PSP had one as well (press the Home button, ask you if you want to quit to go to the XMB, on the PSP). Its not exactly a feature, its mandatory. And how the hell are they copying music in-game? Pulling the XMB up in game is NOT copying, they had the concept since 2005, shown, the XMB is the menu, where you have your videos, music, photos, internet, etc. So being able to access one of those in-game (music), isn't copying MS at all, thats just the fact, you cannot deny it.

If anything achievements 'copied' skill points from the R&C games, which came out in 2002. You have a list of skill points in the game, each one worth a certain amount of points, when you unlock it in the game a notification comes up with a sound, saying you just unlocked XXXX. Insomniac has even asked Major Nelson, I believe it was, if they made achievements off of the skill point system or if it was inspired by it. He said pretty much that he doesn't know exactly, since the team who created achievements wasn't just him, it was a group. Are trophies really copying achievements? No, I dont think so, I think trophies and achievements are just a new take on an old concept. Btw, trophies are not exactly like achievements at all (so you may think if you dont own a PS3), only similarity between the two is you do something in-game, and unlock a reward, and that similarity can be found in games way way back before PS3 or 360, like R&C.

Like I said copying is fine when it innovates, does something new with it, not just copying and slap a new name. And I see MS doing the latter. Lips for example, a SingStar clone, I wouldn't call a copy, well I would but not in the bad way. Because it looks to be a great game with a lot of new features SingStar didn't have, even though it looks exactly like SingStar and it plays like it. So there is a big difference between what MS is doing, and the industry has done in the past.
"
You sort of missed my point, my point is that somewhere down the line, a company ends up copying something else.  I know MS copys other companies, but those companies copy someone else.
#24 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

MOLE said:

"Sentry said:
"MOLE said:
"Sentry said:
"CasualJoe said:

What do you guys think.
"

"

"

"
You sort of missed my point, my point is that somewhere down the line, a company ends up copying something else.  I know MS copys other companies, but those companies copy someone else."

Yeah I know that, and that is what I am telling you, no trouble. My point was everyone copies, but its to what extent is it just blatantly ripping off a concept and putting a new name on it, or taking the idea of a concept and improving greatly upon it. Thats what Lips is doing with SinGstar. And MS is doing the exact opposite with the Avatars. One way is good for you, me, the industry, and the other way is a rip off.

See what I am saying?
#25 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

Well I'm not going to speculate if I will or will not like avatars until I receive the update.  I see  no need in judging a book by its cover...even if it is animated..lol!

#26 Edited by Sentry (4197 posts) -
Eonkid said:
"The avatars can be used if you want, it is an addition for those who want something better than crappy Mii's, with more customization and more realistic look(and if you think the MS avatars and Miis look alike, stick a pen in your eye damnit).

And if your like me, and don't give a damn, you can ignore it.
"

Wii Mii's (2006)
Wii "Mii's"
Wii "Mii's"
Wii "Mii's"

Xbox 360 Avatars (2008)
Xbox 360 "Avatars"
Xbox 360 "Avatars"

PlayStation 3 Home Avatars (2007)
PlayStation 3's Home Avatars

Avatars are a rip off of Mii's, just look at it man. Avatars are just a bit better looking, not really realistic. You want realistic? Home avatars, which was shown in 07, and now in 08 MS is showing '360 avatars', tell me who is ripping off who. Click on them to see the comparison...

Again I have played Home, and it just makes me pissed to see this kind of thing, and no one else really understands or talks about it because they have yet to play Home, know what I mean?

To me its like Miis, 360 Avatars, then Home. Home is far beyond Miis or avatars, and avatars are an advancement of the Miis, its like a chain.

PS- Note that the pictures of Home avatars are more then a year old, right now in the beta they look even better, if you can imagine that.
#27 Posted by MOLE (321 posts) -

Would you agree that Home is a rippoff of Second Life?

I would

#28 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
MOLE said:
"

I would

"

Yeah I kind of did when i first heard about it, like second life for PS3, but then when I got in the beta (playing it for almost a year and a half now) I dont really see it like that as much. Why?

Well because this isn't a game, or a service on its own. Its part of the PS3, its a service PART of the PSN. Its a virtual, free, 3D community, the PS3 community, linked through the PSN. Just a place where gamers can talk, like this forum, meet new gamers and make friends, as well as launch into games from there and play casual games (pool, bowling, arcade games, etc) together. its just a chill place IMO, if your not playing a game, your in Home, basically. I stayed in there for hours and hours straight once, almost a whole day. Why? Because me and several others held a little talent show in Home. You know, we're board and whatnot, so eventually we get into a big group of people, someone new spawns into the room they join the group, etc. Everyone did their own thing, several guys played their guitars, some chick was singing (im not kidding), and others did impersonations and whatnot, we just chilled and laughed and talked/debated about gaming. It was a hell of a time, and I know that might be funny to hear to many, buts this is no different from being on a forum and laughing and talking with friends, talking to friends on the phone, or being in aim with friends. Except this is more like a chat, plus a game. My friend (real life) has a PS3 and he played the beta too (I let him play), he begged me to get him in the beta so that we can chill in home instead of voice chatting.

My point is that people are looking at Home the wrong way, its a community to me, just a community of gamers like this forum is..
#29 Posted by kidzombie (101 posts) -

I didn't have any problems with the current dashboard. But at first I didn't find the idea appealing. But if it is willing to the customer, I see no fault in it, unless it doesn't help anyone. So I guess I am willing to at least try it out.

#30 Posted by MOLE (321 posts) -
Sentry said:
"MOLE said:
"

I would

"

Yeah I kind of did when i first heard about it, like second life for PS3, but then when I got in the beta (playing it for almost a year and a half now) I dont really see it like that as much. Why?

Well because this isn't a game, or a service on its own. Its part of the PS3, its a service PART of the PSN. Its a virtual, free, 3D community, the PS3 community, linked through the PSN. Just a place where gamers can talk, like this forum, meet new gamers and make friends, as well as launch into games from there and play casual games (pool, bowling, arcade games, etc) together. its just a chill place IMO, if your not playing a game, your in Home, basically. I stayed in there for hours and hours straight once, almost a whole day. Why? Because me and several others held a little talent show in Home. You know, we're board and whatnot, so eventually we get into a big group of people, someone new spawns into the room they join the group, etc. Everyone did their own thing, several guys played their guitars, some chick was singing (im not kidding), and others did impersonations and whatnot, we just chilled and laughed and talked/debated about gaming. It was a hell of a time, and I know that might be funny to hear to many, buts this is no different from being on a forum and laughing and talking with friends, talking to friends on the phone, or being in aim with friends. Except this is more like a chat, plus a game. My friend (real life) has a PS3 and he played the beta too (I let him play), he begged me to get him in the beta so that we can chill in home instead of voice chatting.

My point is that people are looking at Home the wrong way, its a community to me, just a community of gamers like this forum is..
"

I've learned something outside of forums, people don't like to talk about games as much as people like me and  you.  Wether its on XBL or somewhere else, people just don't like to talk about games.

Whats funny is that they say they do, but once I start talking they just sort of sit there and not talk becuase sometimes I talk so much my freinds have to tell me to STFU.

#31 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Yeah I know what you mean lol. I don't know its just different when your talking about the industry as well, not just 'CoD4 ending was awesome' and stuff. But it sure as hell isn't all about gaming thats for sure, I remember a long while back we talked about politics, one thing most of us agreed on was we didn't like Bush lol. But mostly talk is about gaming related stuff I would say, or finding glitches in Home LOL.

#32 Posted by steve316 (102 posts) -

i not that mad about them, i just hope you can do more things with them, like maybe have video game characters clothes like have a master chief helmet with a lancer with gordon freemen suit  on

#33 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Sentry said:

Avatars are a rip off of Mii's, just look at it man. Avatars are just a bit better looking, not really realistic. You want realistic? Home avatars, which was shown in 07, and now in 08 MS is showing '360 avatars', tell me who is ripping off who. Click on them to see the comparison...

Again I have played Home, and it just makes me pissed to see this kind of thing, and no one else really understands or talks about it because they have yet to play Home, know what I mean?

To me its like Miis, 360 Avatars, then Home. Home is far beyond Miis or avatars, and avatars are an advancement of the Miis, its like a chain.

PS- Note that the pictures of Home avatars are more then a year old, right now in the beta they look even better, if you can imagine that.
"

As far as i can tell, you have no idea why us 360 fans dont like the avatar system. Here you are going on about how better looking home is.
We dont care.
360 Users have already familiarized with the dashboard, its great.
If we wanted a high tech home system, im sure it wouldn't hurt to go and pick up a copy of sims.
Why brag about a "home" system. As far as i know, consoles are made for playing games, not for socializing day in and out.
I think the problem for 360 owners is the new dashboard system looks to childish and it doesn't have the hardcore gaming vibe anymore.
With that being said i don't think anyone should complain too much about it, i personally read an article stating we could go back to dashboard blades.

#34 Posted by MOLE (321 posts) -

I really want Home, sucks how its not on the 360

#35 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"Sentry said:

"

As far as i can tell, you have no idea why us 360 fans dont like the avatar system. Here you are going on about how better looking home is.
We dont care.
360 Users have already familiarized with the dashboard, its great.
If we wanted a high tech home system, im sure it wouldn't hurt to go and pick up a copy of sims.
Why brag about a "home" system. As far as i know, consoles are made for playing games, not for socializing day in and out.
I think the problem for 360 owners is the new dashboard system looks to childish and it doesn't have the hardcore gaming vibe anymore.
With that being said i don't think anyone should complain too much about it, i personally read an article stating we could go back to dashboard blades.

"

Excuse me? Bragging? I am NOT bragging whatsoever, sorry if it came off that way.

I have an idea why you dont like the avatar system, its too much of a Mii too kind of deal, and it makes you feel that MS is going in the more casual direction away from the hardcore.

And saying Home is a high tech sims is pure ignorance. You obviously didn't read my post, its a community, a 3D virtual community. The same thing MS is trying to do now but in a more kiddy way so to speak, and with limitation (small areas not an open world). Of course consoles are for playing games, thats what Home is about, chilling with clans and launching into games directly, with them. If gaming was not about the social aspect, there would be no XBL, so that is a false statment. Your taking Home as a 3D chat, nothing to do with games, which is not correct.

Dont get me wrong at all im not bragging im just telling you how I feel MS is copying Miis and Home, and that its so obvious but no one is seeing it. Trust me if your even on a forum right now talking about games then you wouldn't mind Home one bit.

I also read that you will be able to use the blades, but with 'most' of the new features. As more stuff is added you think they will continue to support both dashboards equally? I don't think so, eventually they will drop one, sadly. They should have stuck to the blades and improved upon it, and made it faster, rather then making a whole new dashboard that looks pretty plane and casual.
#36 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
MOLE said:
"I really want Home, sucks how its not on the 360"

Umm, who is stopping you from getting it? Lol.
#37 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Sentry said:

Excuse me? Bragging? I am NOT bragging whatsoever, sorry if it came off that way.

I have an idea why you dont like the avatar system, its too much of a Mii too kind of deal, and it makes you feel that MS is going in the more casual direction away from the hardcore.

And saying Home is a high tech sims is pure ignorance. You obviously didn't read my post, its a community, a 3D virtual community. The same thing MS is trying to do now but in a more kiddy way so to speak, and with limitation (small areas not an open world). Of course consoles are for playing games, thats what Home is about, chilling with clans and launching into games directly, with them. If gaming was not about the social aspect, there would be no XBL, so that is a false statment. Your taking Home as a 3D chat, nothing to do with games, which is not correct.

Dont get me wrong at all im not bragging im just telling you how I feel MS is copying Miis and Home, and that its so obvious but no one is seeing it. Trust me if your even on a forum right now talking about games then you wouldn't mind Home one bit.

I also read that you will be able to use the blades, but with 'most' of the new features. As more stuff is added you think they will continue to support both dashboards equally? I don't think so, eventually they will drop one, sadly. They should have stuck to the blades and improved upon it, and made it faster, rather then making a whole new dashboard that looks pretty plane and casual.
"
You got the first part right, i dont like the new avatar system because it takes away from the hardcore gamers.

"And saying Home is a high tech sims is pure ignorance." Your being ignorant and not reading my post.
A 3D virtual community? Well pretty much any online experience with friends and other plays can be counted as a virtual community.
If "3D" means so much to you, you have a problem.

"If gaming was not about the social aspect, there would be no XBL" Really? Wow so i cant play competitively without a headset or sending messages to everyone i play?

I agree MS is copying Nintendo's avatar systems, but then again without copying and improving things we wouldn't have half the good games or consoles we have today.

If this message comes off as ignorance, sorry.

#38 Posted by MutenMiller (216 posts) -

I like the dudes on all three systems... is that ok? Am I only allowed to like dudes from one system? I'm not sure how it's supposed to work! D:

I like the Mii's because they are very simple and suit the Nintendo style, I like the Avatars because they've got a real funky look going on (imo), and, well, Home has the potential to be pretty awesomes if it blossoms like Sony hope it does!

#39 Posted by Prototype (82 posts) -

If people don't like the Avatars that's fine but what's really annoying is the ''Oh They're copying the Wii'' that's how it is ,that's the benifit of having three consoles. One company makes a new innovation and the rest expand on it for instance Microsoft created Achievements and Sony is following with Trophies,Rock Band went full band so now Guitar Hero is expanding on that and now Nintendo creates Mii's and now Microsoft is following.

#40 Posted by Met2609 (555 posts) -

I just think it's a pointless addition that doesn't help ME at all. It may help MS look more like Nintendo, but that doesn't do much for me.

#41 Posted by MutenMiller (216 posts) -
Prototype said:
"If people don't like the Avatars that's fine but what's really annoying is the ''Oh They're copying the Wii'' that's how it is ,that's the benifit of having three consoles. One company makes a new innovation and the rest expand on it for instance Microsoft created Achievements and Sony is following with Trophies,Rock Band went full band so now Guitar Hero is expanding on that and now Nintendo creates Mii's and now Microsoft is following."
QFT. True originality arguably hasn't existed for decades. Centuries even. There are just various degrees of copying, some blatant, others more subtle.
#42 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Prototype said:
"If people don't like the Avatars that's fine but what's really annoying is the ''Oh They're copying the Wii'' that's how it is ,that's the benifit of having three consoles. One company makes a new innovation and the rest expand on it for instance Microsoft created Achievements and Sony is following with Trophies,Rock Band went full band so now Guitar Hero is expanding on that and now Nintendo creates Mii's and now Microsoft is following."
Exactly. Take & improve. Then someone will take the improvement and work on it further.
#43 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
Prototype said:

I agree, take an idea and then improve upon it... But with avatars I feel this isn't what MS is doing at all...

Also, I hate how the media portrays things against the PS3 sometimes. Like when Home debuted, a lot of sites were calling it a Mii's rip off, I mean, seriously? Now this comes out and its almost blatantly ripping Mii's off and the media doesn't talk about that topic. Its things like that, that confuse me and piss me off a bit.
#44 Posted by Pitta (182 posts) -
CasualJoe said:

What do you guys think.
"
Because people suck. Couldn't do total realism because thats what the PS3 is trying to do with home.  Don't like the avatar system, leave yours as a default and look like a jackass...
#45 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

Yeah, I think the Avatars look cool.

#46 Posted by Conflict (76 posts) -
I have three points I would like to put across.
1) You do not have to use the avatars, you can still have gamerpics.
2) It is Rare working on the Avatars, not MS internally so people can't exactly be pissed that it's detracting time from working on the HC audience.
3) Why the hell is a Sony fanboy here (Sentry) bitching about copying. If you would like we could all come to the PS forums and start talking about how Sony is copying what MS is doing (Video marketplace, trophies, in game XMB, custom soundtracks etc)

I was hoping here at Giant bomb we would be able to get away from Fanboys whining, looks like it's impossible to hide from 12 year olds trying to justify their purchase.
#47 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Sentry said:
"Prototype said:

I agree, take an idea and then improve upon it... But with avatars I feel this isn't what MS is doing at all...

Also, I hate how the media portrays things against the PS3 sometimes. Like when Home debuted, a lot of sites were calling it a Mii's rip off, I mean, seriously? Now this comes out and its almost blatantly ripping Mii's off and the media doesn't talk about that topic. Its things like that, that confuse me and piss me off a bit.
"
Theres a PS3 Forum for that
#48 Posted by X_UrCuRse_X (9 posts) -

To be honest, i like the idea. I don't know what the fuss is all about, it's healthy competition. Each company took the "concept" and are making it their own by taking their own spin on it. They've done this on other concepts and sometimes it doesn't work out so well (Sony's Motion controller -> Wiimote), and sometimes they improve someone else's concept. Which is fine to me because it keeps each company on it's toes and forces them to come up with new ideas and enhance their own platforms. Example, PS3 finally has an in game XMB bar. And 360's we'll finally be able to have an option to install a game on the HD for faster load times. NO MORE INSTA-GROW TREES IN GTA IV!!!!!

People are complaining that Avatars are a rip off of Home. I don't think so at all.... Home you create your character and walk around in a virtual world, customize your apartment and socialize. It's more like an online SIMS. And to be honest i didn't care much for that idea. I don't want to walk around in a virtual world all day. I loved Mii's more then the Home idea. Where the character you create can also be used in games you play.

If anything MS Avatar's are closer to Mii's then anything. Except Avatars are going to have more customization and don't look "odd". I just hope that they improve how you download/transfer your account when at someone else's place. It'd be nice to have all my friends come over, and be able to load their accounts (in a reasonable amount of time) with their avatars and play a game like Scene It with all of our characters.

Anyways, people should quit complaining that each company is copying each other, cuz to me they're not, they're "inspired" by each other idea's. And that's healthy competition. To me this is a stupid debate, just like people complaining that any game after "Gears of War" that includes a cover system is copycat.

#49 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Conflict said:

"I have three points I would like to put across.
1) You do not have to use the avatars, you can still have gamerpics.
2) It is Rare working on the Avatars, not MS internally so people can't exactly be pissed that it's detracting time from working on the HC audience.
3) Why the hell is a Sony fanboy here (Sentry) bitching about copying. If you would like we could all come to the PS forums and start talking about how Sony is copying what MS is doing (Video marketplace, trophies, in game XMB, custom soundtracks etc)

I was hoping here at Giant bomb we would be able to get away from Fanboys whining, looks like it's impossible to hide from 12 year olds trying to justify their purchase.
"

I saw the topic and I replied, I am not 'bitching', he is pissed about something, why can't I tell him that I am pissed about something. And BY THE WAY, this thread came up in general discussion so I am not trolling the 360 board, chill. And dude grow up, I honestly can't believe how people can't take a criticism on the topic of avatars.

Also, I explained already to people like you how in-game XMB, custom soundtracks, and trophies are not a copy of MS, but your too lazy and close minded to even read what I post, in other words fanboy. I am not a fanboy, I play 360 (friends house) I just dont own one. I complain how Avatars is a rip off, and you say im bitching, but when people say avatars are retarded, thats just fine? I'm sorry bro but your just being pathetic here.

BlindEffekt said:
"Sentry said:
"Prototype said:

"
Theres a PS3 Forum for that
"

Yeah, sorry, this thread came up in General Discussion so I didn;t even notice the 360 board title, thats why I brought up Home and whatnot, otherwise I would not have because I know I could offend 360 gamers, they'll think im bragging or something (thats what someone said) which im not.

X_UrCuRse_X said:
"To be honest, i like the idea. I don't know what the fuss is all about, it's healthy competition. Each company took the "concept" and are making it their own by taking their own spin on it. They've done this on other concepts and sometimes it doesn't work out so well (Sony's Motion controller -> Wiimote), and sometimes they improve someone else's concept. Which is fine to me because it keeps each company on it's toes and forces them to come up with new ideas and enhance their own platforms. Example, PS3 finally has an in game XMB bar. And 360's we'll finally be able to have an option to install a game on the HD for faster load times. NO MORE INSTA-GROW TREES IN GTA IV!!!!!

People are complaining that Avatars are a rip off of Home. I don't think so at all.... Home you create your character and walk around in a virtual world, customize your apartment and socialize. It's more like an online SIMS. And to be honest i didn't care much for that idea. I don't want to walk around in a virtual world all day. I loved Mii's more then the Home idea. Where the character you create can also be used in games you play.

If anything MS Avatar's are closer to Mii's then anything. Except Avatars are going to have more customization and don't look "odd". I just hope that they improve how you download/transfer your account when at someone else's place. It'd be nice to have all my friends come over, and be able to load their accounts (in a reasonable amount of time) with their avatars and play a game like Scene It with all of our characters.

Anyways, people should quit complaining that each company is copying each other, cuz to me they're not, they're "inspired" by each other idea's. And that's healthy competition. To me this is a stupid debate, just like people complaining that any game after "Gears of War" that includes a cover system is copycat.
"

Yeah I agree its always good for competition, its the gaming industry. But I just wish MS would have done something MORE with the Avatars, like new features perhaps? Not just copying Homes 3D spaces and game launching ideas, for example.

And that's the thing, people think that Home is a virtual world you walk in all day, LOL. With Avatars in home, games come to it. MS even said that you can earnh game specific clothing and whatnot, for unlocking an achievment. And in 07 Sony said the exact same thing, beat God of War 3 for example? Get to wear Kratos clothing from the game. Which MS is now copying that as well. :\ And Miis can be used in games, because those games are from Nintendo, like Wii Play and whatnot. Home is what 360 and Miis are doing, but in an open enviornment with more features. Its funny when people judge Home and know nothing about it, im in the beta, have been for a year, and if I truly didn't like it, I would never be in it, im not going to say I like something when I really dont.

And about the Gears thing, I thought that was silly too, Gears was probably the first next gen game with cover, and to get it right and fun, then other games started doig similar stuff afterwards. But that i just a game mechanic, not a whole game/idea, like these Avatars/Miis.

I'm not pissed with MS or anything good for them for having this, but im just dissapointed with the way people percieve things (avatars are awesome and new, when they are taking just features from Home/Miis).

New dashboard is a plus though since it should be faster and have no ads, even though its find of plain.
#50 Posted by JazzMaverick (108 posts) -

I personaly don't like the idea of having childish avatars......but if it's optional then thats fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.