Red Ring of Death help.

#1 Posted by ninjadude853 (44 posts) -

Okay, long story short, i got the Red Ring of Death, and i want to know how to fix it. I do not want to shell out over a hundred bucks for repairs or a new xbox, and i don't trust my computer to play the Mass Effect games or Skyrim (i can't figure out how to look up my graphics card). So i'm asking anyone out there reading this who has had and fixed the Red Ring of Death to tell me how they did it.

That last part is important, please, only give me a solution if you have actually fixed the Red Ring of Death on your xbox, no secondhand accounts of your friends doing it, only post here if you yourself have fixed the RROD.

Please.

#2 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

No Skyrim for you! >:D

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I sent my Xbox in to Microsoft and they sent me a new one.

#4 Posted by allworkandlowpay (873 posts) -

@ninjadude853: You can't fix it. It's a motherboard failure, either the GPU or the CPU is fried.

#5 Posted by 71Ranchero (2829 posts) -

Try taking it apart and cleaning out every bit of dust. I was able to get a nonworking 360 back to life and make it run as quiet as it was the day it came out of the box. Of course this was a 2 red light console not 3, but the system was completely dead regardless.

#6 Posted by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -

I sent mine back to Microsoft and received it in new condition working fine.

As for fixing it yourself, all the methods I've heard of sound like far more hassle than just working an extra few days and getting a new one. What are they, $300 now?

#7 Posted by Alexandruxx (228 posts) -

I heard PS3 can fix this problem.

#8 Posted by McShank (1630 posts) -

@ninjadude853 said:

Okay, long story short, i got the Red Ring of Death, and i want to know how to fix it. I do not want to shell out over a hundred bucks for repairs or a new xbox, and i don't trust my computer to play the Mass Effect games or Skyrim (i can't figure out how to look up my graphics card). So i'm asking anyone out there reading this who has had and fixed the Red Ring of Death to tell me how they did it.

That last part is important, please, only give me a solution if you have actually fixed the Red Ring of Death on your xbox, no secondhand accounts of your friends doing it, only post here if you yourself have fixed the RROD.

Please.

its called the trash can and making your computer able to play real games? Or sending in to microsoft. OR craigslist someone posting about fixing broken xbox's as they usually will fix them for cheaper then microsoft will but you sadly wont get any warrenty or anything else from them. And then also this.

@Alexandruxx said:

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

I sent my Xbox in to Microsoft and they sent me a new one.

Same here.

#10 Edited by big_jon (5783 posts) -

@Alexandruxx said:

But then you would lose all the better looking cross platform games.

I 360 slim should do the trick even better.

#11 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

I'd recommend either upgrading your PC or investing in a 360 slim. As far as fixing it goes, you're probably screwed.

#12 Posted by bybeach (4996 posts) -

Talk the MS first, and defend your position. I had to stand up a little without being beligerent, and getting the Xbox replaced really was free I think compared to what Sony charged me for the PS3 disc player failure. Warranty issues both but I appreciatted the X-box guy even though he let me know he thought he was being good about it...heh. Money in the end talks, though.

This is not to say I ignore my PS3, I like that, also.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.