Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Red ring warranty up for some

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By penguindust

According to Destructoid*, launch Xbox 360s have now lapsed out of their extended "red ring of death" warranty.  If you are an owner of one of these 1st off the assembly line consoles, you will now have to pay between $119.00 and $99.00 (USD) to have your unit repaired.

I've had to send mine in twice, so far. But with the Arcade model costing about a hundred more, if mine were to fail again, I'm not sure I'd send it in.  It might just be easier to get a new one and with it a new 3 year warranty.

*http://www.destructoid.com/launch-day-xbox-360s-no-longer-under-three-year-warranty-coverage-119903.phtml

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

I basically have a launch 360 and it hasn't died yet. I replaced the fans and did some other modifications to help it hopefully live longer. :)

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

Hard to believe 3 years have gone by already since it's launch. Sucks for anyone who still owns a launch console and gets a RRoD now.

lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By lvl10Wizard
    brukaoru said:
    "Hard to believe 3 years have gone by already since it's launch. Sucks for anyone who still owns a launch console and gets a RRoD now."

Yup that exact thing happened to me two weeks ago. Rather than go through the hassle of fixing it I just bought an Arcade console and slapped my old hard drive on it.
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Captain_Fookup

It's bullshit, the warranty should be covered till the end of the 360's cycle.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

<---only had to spend 49 dollars to get his 360 fixed.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mike

If your 360 gets the three red lights and is just out of warranty, keep complaining to MS customer service and you'll eventually be offered a discounted rate on your repair.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

You know what?  Bread expires when the expiration date says so.

anyway, if you ask for a discounted rate (in other words complain) they'll give you it for $50.  It also comes with a year warranty after that, so it's not that bad (probably cheaper than bestbuy's for however many years it takes)

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#9  Edited By citizenkane

I don't use my launch one anymore.  I got a Halo 3 Edition when my original last broke the week before Halo 3 released.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.