Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Rumor - 360 Motion Controller this fall

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

From 1up.com

Anonymous tipster says the fabled 360 motion controller will see release this holiday season.

By Kris Pigna, 08/24/2008
    So E3 and now the Leipzig Games Convention have come and gone, with no announcement from Microsoft of the Xbox 360 motion controller that was rumored to be in the works earlier this year. But despite this critical lack of confirmation, a new rumor now suggests that Microsoft still has a surprise planned for the holidays -- a $199 Xbox 360 Arcade unit with the motion controller packed-in, along with a few motion-controlled mini-games.

The rumor comes by way of Xbox360Fanboy, which received the info from an anonymous tipster "close to Microsoft's marketing department." The source elaborated that the $199 Arcade unit (rumored and just about confirmed earlier this month) will be positioned to compete directly with the Wii, with a marketing campaign focused on casual, family-oriented entertainment. The source said the motion controller (supposedly developed by Rare) will come packed-in, but will also be available separately in a package that includes even more motion-controlled mini-games as well.

Not quite convinced? We're not too sure we are, either -- it's hard to believe that Microsoft would be planning to release a motion controller in the next few months without having said a word about it (or, in fact, even officially confirming it exists) at either E3 or Leipzig. But then again, stranger things have happened, and it's worth noting that the original source of the 360 motion controller rumor said Microsoft was "trying to decide how to get something out by the end of the year." That original rumor was also where we first heard of Microsoft's Mii-like Avatars, and those certainly turned out to be true, didn't they?

Still, best to keep your skepticism on high alert until more concrete info on this supposed new Arcade pack pops up (if such info ever does pop up, that is).
    UnsungGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By UnsungGamer

I'm not excited about motion capabilities. I've played with a Wii (the with signifying my view of it as a toy) and although it was fun for awhile, I'll never want to sit down and play games on it. The only times I've ever wanted to play it is when we visited my cousin; we'd all play the Wii Sports and Wii Play and whatever the heck else variety games there are, and they were cool to pass time.

But then came Rock Band and we haven't touched the Wii since. That's the new (and better) social game.

So as for motion control in games, I'm not excited about that either. I don't think it really contributes much, and will probably make gaming feel less involved, and more gimicky, instead of being wrapped up in gameplay tightly gripping my 360 controller on the edge of my seat fingers on the triggers, I'd be playing with the controller position and crap (if that makes sense). I like it fine the way it is

HeLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HeLives

As I have stated before, it could work very well.  Imagine 2007's shooters updated to support a motion-controller (mc).  Halo 3, COD4, The Orange Box and other games with correct mc implementation would result in shorter, more intense and fun gaming sessions.  I can see it working if it's implemented economically and correctly.  I would like to see it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's not really a "rumor," is it?  I mean, they pretty much confirmed a Sixaxis, err, I mean a motion controller for the 360, and said Rare is developing a slew of mini-games for it.  Didn't they? 

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By banksrob

correct implementation would work awesomely no gimmiky controlls and such

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac

199? Less than Wii?

Wow, Microsoft must be just getting raped in the wallet.

larco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By larco

Basically if the motion controls are released they will be worse than the Wii's, which aren't very good in the first place. I say this because I can't see any third parties supporting a controller that none of the gamers who actually buy lots of games will purchase.

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Blu_Magic

I'm not really interested in Motion sensing but I guess this is good news.

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Shawn
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "199? Less than Wii?

Wow, Microsoft must be just getting raped in the wallet."
    I think they've been raping us long enough, this is just like them shelling their money to give us Vaseline.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

So fucking stupid. If they even think of ever trying to make this the new main controller( doubt they would) but ever think it, or have it as a requirement for something I'm throwing the fucking system out the fucking window. 99% of anyone who owns a 360 doesn't want shit like this for their console, we want the same controller we've always had.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

No!!!!!!!!!

Sony has gotten out of that fad. i hope microsoft doesn't do this

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.