Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Second Console

TheGuardian21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheGuardian21

well i'm two weeks away of picking up my second and final console for this generation.

Can't decide between the two.

Nintendo Wii and Playstation 3.

I have my arguments for and against each, but i'm looking for second opinions, and no i'm not going to PC.

my argument for the Playstation 3 is that it is a Blue-Ray player (i doubt i'd use it, who knows), i'd use it for more space for my external memory. Plus the console exclusives are pretty awesome, especially the ones that make use of Playstation 3's raw power. As price drops continue, and developers get more familiar with it, it could repeat the magic of the PS2.

my argument against it. I already have an Xbox 360, they virtually share the same games, the Blue-Ray - i honestly feel is a niche market and not the future. They got rid of backward compatibility, and the ones that do have it are incredibly expensive, and i do use backward compatibility quite a bit. I can't really justify the cost, for how little - specifically the games and memory storage - i'd be getting out if it.

my argument for the Nintendo Wii, is that it is completely different from my 360. There are not a whole lot of hardcore games on it, but there is Mario, Metroid, Zelda and you can't screw those up. - well maybe heh. It is completely backward compatible with Gamecube, I never owned one, but i've always wanted to try a few games off the Gamecube.

my argument against it is simple. Getting bored with it. the vast majority of its library is trash, however a more then a handful are diamonds. Brilliant games like Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess.

So what do you guys think i should pick up?

Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Six

PS3 is worth the cash over the Wii.

how many people do you know that got a Wii because they had to have it?  and don't really play it now.

PS3 is really nice for BluRays... and games.  find a nice bundle? and you have a game to start off with that is good.

I can't find a reason to spend the money on a wii yet.  Wii sports is the best thing I have played on the Wii so for when I have played on other people's console.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By samcotts

Definitely get the PS3. Everyone I know who owns both a 360/PS3 and a Wii, including myself, feels buying the Wii was a waste of money, because they/I never play it. I believe there are a lot more interesting PS3 exclusives then there are on the Wii. The Wii might have a different libary of games to the 360, but 90% of those aren't worth your money, and that 10% aren't as good as what the PS3 offers.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

Seriously, it is a no-brainer.  Life without Nintendo magic is no life at all and no self respecting hardcore gamer would go without it.  Forget all the low-end crap, that is just a distraction.  There are more than enough great Nintendo games and the 3rd party stuff is really ramping up.

With the cheaper price, you can get a good selection of the great games and hit the 2nd hand market for truly magic games on the Gamecube.  Then just sit back and pick up a PS3 next year (the exclusives can wait).  I myself will get a 360 this year and a PS3 probably next year.
    efebayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By efebayor

Mate I'm going to have to argue for the Wii here. I own all three, maybe so does the guys who have already posted. There are some brilliant exclusives on the ps3, primarily Metal Gear Solid 4 but the Wii offers some amazing games in themselves. There is a whole lot of rubbish on the console, but as you have already written, Super Mario Galaxy and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will keep you occupied more than any single player game on the ps3. As you've correctly stated, you can also pick up some utter classics from the gamcube collection relatively cheaply now so i'd recommend Paper Mario: A Thousand Year Door, Metroid Prime series, Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart Double Dash etc.

To be fair there are some amazing games on both consoles. You're not really going to lose out really if you buy either. I know a lot of people bash the Wii but there are still some truly amazing games on it.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Death_Unicorn

If you've never had a Nintendo console before, there's some awesome Nintendo 64 games, such as Kirby 64, The Legend of Zelda: OoT,  Yoshi's Story, and Paper Mario to name a few, not to mention all the other countless of games you can pick up on the Virtual Console.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By oldschool
    Death_Unicorn said:
    "If you've never had a Nintendo console before, there's some awesome Nintendo 64 games, such as Kirby 64, The Legend of Zelda: OoT,  Yoshi's Story, and Paper Mario to name a few, not to mention all the other countless of games you can pick up on the Virtual Console."
    What he said (I can't go online so I hadn't thought of that), plus I am told that there is some pretty decent stuff available on Wiiware that isn't like XBL.
    TheGuardian21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGuardian21

i've had a Nintendo system since Super Nintendo.

i skipped Gamecube. my home - living with my parents - we always picked one system and stuck with it. Having an N64 left a bad taste in my mouth, really didn't care for most of the games. for three years running Super Mario 64 was the top game. at least that's how i remember it. by the end of the N64's life cycle i had become a hardcore gamer, looking for more FPS, serious RPG's from my games.

That following generation we went with Playstation 2, and never looked back since. though i didn't care for the Xbox or its selection, the Gamecube would of still been my #2 choice.

This time around i have my own place, i have an Xbox 360 (got a late production model), love the thing to death. Have a DS and PSP when they came out, play them often when i'm on teh move.

What's stopped me from getting the PS3 was the price-point. the Wii lost me after seeing the E3 2008 conference went, no more for the core fanbase hello fickle casual gamers!

still both systems are pretty awesome in their own ways, especially when you look at their exclusives. The Wii because of its innovative mechanics, and its light/fun gameplay is what attracts me to it. I have my hardcore game system. just really wanna hear people's arguments for and against.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Well then, I only use my Wii when I have friends around to play Brawl or to go Bowling. There are still some awesome Gamecube games such as, Pikmin 1 and 2, The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker, and I personally enjoyed Super Mario Sunshine and Star Fox Adventures. The Wii also has a pretty good line up this year. I would still recommend the Wii because its a much more different experience.
    I think in order of which console you should buy it goes,
    Xbox 360/PS3, Wii, Xbox 360/PS3.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Xandurson

I would have to go with the PS3 because you will probably play it more than the Wii.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Captain_Fookup

I'd go with the Wii since you can play the Gamecube awesome games on it. I'm just waiting for my tax return to show up and I'll pick up a ps3.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheHBK

A while ago I would have said the Wii.  But having an HDTV and having only turned my Wii on ten times in the last six months, I can safely say i have been much more satisfied with the PS3.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Wolverine

Most of the 360 games are ported to PS3. There are more games that you can play on Wii that you can't play on 360. Get a Wii.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ShadowKiller

Since you already have a 360, I'd go with a Wii (I have a Wii and a 360) it has some good games, it's different, and you can play some awesome games on the virtual console.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Diamond

I have all 3 too, and although 360 and PS3 overlap more, I found much more on PS3 I liked than on Wii.  Wii has some good games too, but it was my 3rd choice as well.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Cerza

If you are into the whole backwards compatible thing as much as you say then I say go with the Wii. It is cheaper and has a totally different library than the PS3. You also get access to the GameCube library and there are many, many, many great games there.

I own all three and honestly have felt that buying the PS3 was a mistake, because I already was in love with my 360 and they have almost the same library. The exclusives are the only thing that separate the two and while Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big Planet, Resistance 1, and Uncharted were awesome, I really don't feel they make up for the fact that the PS3's library is almost the same as the 360's. The PS3 does have more interesting exclusives coming out for it though, as opposed to the 360, which I really feel has been milked to death by this point.  I don't know if you are into importing or not, but a huge advantage the PS3 has that no one utilizes is the fact that it isn't region locked. So you can import something from Japan and play it on a European, or American PS3, which is really cool.

Oh boy, now I am starting to ramble so I will stop. I hope this helped.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Mushir

Im gonna have to support Nintendo here.

There aren't many good PS3 exclusives that come my mind except MGS4, LBP, KZ2, Resistance and Uncharted. Almost all the other good are multiplatform so they are available for the 360 as well.

While the Wii may have a crapload of horrible games, it also has some awesome games that many people seem to ignore. Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess, SSBB, Metroid Prime 3, Madworld, Zack & Wiki, Warioware Smooth Moves, Okami, World of Goo and many more. Not to mention all the Virtual Console games you can buy which include games such as Ocarina of Time and Mario 64. And there are a ton of awesome games for the Gamecube which you can also play on it.

Anyway, its all up to you. Your gonna have fun nom matter which console you choose.
    Retrogimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Retrogimp

I'd say Wii, for all the reasons stated in everyone's comments beforehand. I'm pretty much (by the sound of it anyways) in the exact same situation as yourself, and have recently considered buying a Wii, simply for games like MG, Mario Kart, SSBB, Resi Umbrella Chronicles and others.

If I ever get a PS3, it's still a good while away.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hairydutchman

Sell your 360 and buy both.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

The PS3 is a good console, the Wii isn't.
    Despite the fact that the Ps3 shares many games, it still has more good exclusives than the wii

And just a slight warning about the wii's backward compatibility.  You need a gamecube controller and a memory card.
    As for the Ps3, it might not have it at all.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bjorno

PC.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By maxszy

I went with a PS3 because that is what I would do. Especially because of the games list.

I think it really depends on what kind of gamer you are. I played Nintendo with the 64 and the gamecube but the Wii has never done it for me. Don't own one but have played it of course and it just doesn't do it. Maybe because my interests have gone to a different place. I think Nintendo games take a certain type of interest.

So I think you just need to look at what your real interests are in the way of games.

GiantRetard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GiantRetard

only reason to get a wii is   madworld

get a ps3!!!!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By penguindust

Not only does the PS3 have blu-ray, but it also upscales DVDs.  Another bonus over the Wii. 

Get a PS3, you won't be disappointed. 

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By carlthenimrod

Do you have a HDTV? If you don't then buy a Wii. If you do then get a PS3.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Mushir
    GiantRetard said:
    "only reason to get a wii is   madworldget a ps3!!!!"
    Wow, your such an idiot.
    TheGuardian21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheGuardian21

I've come to a final decision.

gonna pick up the Nintendo Wii.

the Xbox 360 shares virtually the same library with the PS3. The Nintendo Wii - while a lot of its library may be garbage - have some really great games

full backward compatible with Gamecube, ever-growing selection of old games on NES, SNES, N64, their competitors NeoGeo, TurboGrafix, Sega Genesis, Sega Master.
    On top of that their own WiiWare games (homebrew games available for Wii)
    Plus the Wii hits a completely different note then what the 360 hits. 360 hits very similar feelings as the PS3 and the graphics look practically the same to me. game selection is the same.

PS3 offers the Blue-ray, which my laptop has and i don't use it. until the market forces me to go Blue-ray, like they did with me to move to DVD, i won't be getting into it. Their only 3 games exclusive to the PS3 that i will miss but not worth forking over the total of a 360 and a Wii. God of War 3, Final Fantasy 13 Versus, and MGS4: Guns of the Patriots.

Plus my main console was gonna be the 360 anyways. the PS3 and Wii were both gonna be second fiddle to it.

Anyways thanks for you inputs, and i'll probably post up pics when i get it.

I am now a Wii60 owner. - or soon enough anyways. :Thumbs up:

Mario and Master Chief. lol

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bjorno

bad choice, bromide.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.