Should I buy my multiplats on 360?

• 83 results
#1 Posted by Raven_Sword (3383 posts) -

Honestly am considering just getting my multiplatform games on 360 (of course unless its something like a fighting game where I know PS3s pad works better) Ive seriously been burned by alot of bad ports on Ps3 last year and am just too afraid itll happena gain this year. Im speaking soley on the SP game adn the Visuals adn how it runs.  I realize this is the 360 board, but try to make your answers non fanboyish please. this isnt flamebait, its just a question.

#2 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -

I prefer buying them on 360 jsut because I get XBL features. I can actually private chat while palying a game, I get achievements, etc.

#3 Posted by Raven_Sword (3383 posts) -

To be fair though, PS3 has trophys which is pretty much the same thing. i dont play online alot. Im talking aminly about games that arent Multiplayer or games that are multipalyer, but im focusing on teh games themselves, not Multipalyer.

#4 Posted by Tovan (633 posts) -
Raven_Sword said:
"To be fair though, PS3 has trophys which is pretty much the same thing. i dont play online alot. Im talking aminly about games that arent Multiplayer or games that are multipalyer, but im focusing on teh games themselves, not Multipalyer. "
Yeah, but you have to remember not all games have trophies on the PS3
#5 Posted by Major (506 posts) -
Raven_Sword said:
"To be fair though, PS3 has trophys which is pretty much the same thing. i dont play online alot. Im talking aminly about games that arent Multiplayer or games that are multipalyer, but im focusing on teh games themselves, not Multipalyer. "
Trophies don't become mandatory in till 2009 (and that was just a rumor).
#6 Posted by Exlutonian (167 posts) -

Always look into it. Go for the console the developers made it for. I hate the crossover ports.
And have nothing but thanks for developers that redevelop instead of port, like Alone in the Dark and Bioshock.
Share the entertainment.

#7 Posted by unclejohnny79 (685 posts) -

get them on whatever controller you like with the genre the best

#8 Posted by jaenks (32 posts) -

i would say definately, ive played for example madden 08 on both platforms (360 and ps3) the xbox version wins hands down, framerate is much better, the ps3 crashed on multiplayer etc etc,
just the bonus of xbox live being a superior online service wins for it. No fanboy bias because i dont particularly favour any system as i have all three its just the truth and my opinion

#9 Posted by SlimDogg (159 posts) -

I would just judge each game on its own.

#10 Edited by samcotts (2258 posts) -

Whatever controller you prefer, buy them for that console.

There is no big difference between them, except the controllers.

Personally I buy my multiplats for the PS3. Just a personal preference though.

#11 Posted by Strife88 (225 posts) -

If it has a good online component, get it for the community.

#12 Posted by BlackSuitAndTie9 (289 posts) -

I think if I owned a Wii and a PS3, I'd still buy my multiplatform games on the 360.

#13 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

Depends on the game, some will be better on 360 and others will be better on the other system

#14 Posted by heretrix (84 posts) -

It depends on what you want to do in the game. I get my multis on the 360 because my XBL friends list is pretty big. So in online games it's easier to get a game going without running into annoying anonymous jackholes online. But if the game is something I'm really into, I don't have a problem with getting both versions. (Burnout Paradise, GTA IV)

#15 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

Well a good majority  of my friends purchase their multi-platform games on the 360 because of the expansive live multi-player community.  Eh...but I don't know....that's just the word on the street. :P

#16 Posted by Raven_Sword (3383 posts) -

How do you tell what syestem the game was made for? also, i dont care about online.

#17 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

360 is the way to go whenever possible.

#18 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
"360 is the way to go whenever possible.
"
Im for this. Except for MMO's And some FPS games.
#19 Posted by Gorillawhat (1260 posts) -

One word: Achievements

#20 Posted by Nibbz (203 posts) -

if i had a PS3... id get all multiplats on 360

#21 Posted by Nibbz (203 posts) -
Raven_Sword said:
"How do you tell what syestem the game was made for? also, i dont care about online. "
you look at the case....
#22 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
Nibbz said:
"Raven_Sword said:
"How do you tell what syestem the game was made for? also, i dont care about online. "
you look at the case....
"
He means originally.
#23 Edited by pause422 (6153 posts) -

Great topic for some console war idiots....and 360 isn't the way to go whenever possible,especially not anymore. Plenty of recent multiplatform games have been completely equal on both platforms visual wise,its coming to the point where you can't tell the difference. It comes down to this for the most part- Do you like to chase achievements? do most of your friends have the games you want to play on 360? if those are yes,(or mainly just the second one) then of course go ahead,other than that,atm most newer games,and upcoming ones i'm sure are going to be equally impressive on both consoles,so just ask yourself those 2 questions,mainly the one your friends have,both consoles are great.

#24 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

And your preference of controller. Naturally.

#25 Posted by Wolverine (4269 posts) -

Yeah I would just get Multi-plats on 360, most games are made for it and ported to PS3 and you get achievements and xbox live.

#26 Posted by Raven_Sword (3383 posts) -

We have been seeing Devs using either seperate dev tems on both versions or using PS3 as the Lead (Mirrors Edge and Burnout). I dont think well really see a difference like we did a year ago. I dont know

#27 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
"Nibbz said:
"Raven_Sword said:
you look at the case....
"
He means originally.
"
You can look at the environment and in the cutscenes and tell. Also, look at the frame rate the games have. If you ran the game on both systems at the same time(you must have 2 tvs in the same room), you could tell if you look at a cutscene by which one they were directing it for, because that one's frame rate will be smoother.
#28 Posted by tancred8120 (93 posts) -

If you want achievements, then yeah

#29 Posted by Nik_NYG (558 posts) -

Only if you want achievements. Multiplats are equal now.

#30 Posted by MatsSundin (84 posts) -

I only buy multiplat on my ps3 now because its much more reliable. My 360 is past it warranty and so i don't want to get a sizeable collection only to have it red ring on me. Online is not a big thing for me so i'm usually not missing out on much.

#31 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
MatsSundin said:
"I only buy multiplat on my ps3 now because its much more reliable. My 360 is past it warranty and so i don't want to get a sizeable collection only to have it red ring on me. Online is not a big thing for me so i'm usually not missing out on much.
"

Yeah, and with all the damn games coming out soon you'll most likely be gaming many many hours straight. But if you have a newer 360 then you have nothing to worry about... or less things to worry about anyways.
#32 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
MatsSundin said:
"I only buy multiplat on my ps3 now because its much more reliable. My 360 is past it warranty and so i don't want to get a sizeable collection only to have it red ring on me. Online is not a big thing for me so i'm usually not missing out on much.
"
So your never going to play your xbox again? smart.
#33 Posted by Bartiemus (253 posts) -

im getting them on ps3 from now on because i think my 360 is going to red ring on me again because it keeps on freezing and scratching my new games i already got it fixed once and i just like the ps3 controller better

#34 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3325 posts) -

Most games are so close lately, it really doesn't matter.  Do a little research first, and if it seems like they're even, just go for whatever one suits your needs.  Controller preference, achievements / trophies, which friends are getting which versions if there's multiplayer, any special features like exclusive DLC, etc.

#35 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Bartiemus said:
"im getting them on ps3 from now on because i think my 360 is going to red ring on me again because it keeps on freezing and scratching my new games i already got it fixed once and i just like the ps3 controller better
"
Customer Service. Google it.
#36 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"Bartiemus said:
"im getting them on ps3 from now on because i think my 360 is going to red ring on me again because it keeps on freezing and scratching my new games i already got it fixed once and i just like the ps3 controller better
"
Customer Service. Google it.
"
Lmao, agreed.

I have called the number twice, first because my clan was pissed at gears's servers sucking so we called ms and had a good laugh about it. And the second time was asking for a reason for getting banned =D
#37 Posted by Cowman (651 posts) -

I guess you should stick with the 360 versions only because you'll have more diverse online play. You really should take it on a case by case basis.

#38 Posted by GiantBomber (345 posts) -

Sure why not. Your getting achievements for them, if you care about that.

#39 Posted by albaker (437 posts) -

Well for me it depends, I read the reviews of the games and sometimes they write which system is preferable for the game and why, sometimes it could for the visuals, controls or extra features.

#40 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

I get multiplats on the 360 because of achievements and the fact that generally the graphics are ever so slightly better.

#41 Edited by pause422 (6153 posts) -

Lately almost all multiplatform games look equal. And it seems to be staying that way from now on. Basically comes down to if more friends have the 360 to play with,or you actually care that much about achievements. Your preferences.

Though the 360 controller has the worst d-pad known to man,so if you end up wanting Soul calibur IV,I would recommend the purchas or an arcade stick,or just get it on the PS3.

But as people have stated before,last year  360 games clearly looked better with just a glance,this year its pretty equal,by next year when more people lead produce on ps3 instead of 360,they'll look the absolute best on both consoles and slightly better on PS3. Other than that,I'd say your preferences of achievements,and more friends as stated up top,if so then go for  it.

#42 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -

the 360 will always have the better multiplats

#43 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
Shotaro said:
"I get multiplats on the 360 because of achievements and the fact that generally the graphics are ever so slightly better.
"
True.
#44 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
Guiltyspark said:
"the 360 will always have the better multiplats"

Seriously? *sigh* Do you not see games right now, they look the same on both, and some even look better on PS3. First they looked worse, now they look even, whats next? As devs get to know PS3 more they can use it to their advantage, making the game look better. You see some games are PS3 lead platform, and thats not going to end anytime soon, its just going to happen more and more.
#45 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -
Sentry said:
"Guiltyspark said:
"the 360 will always have the better multiplats"

Seriously? *sigh* Do you not see games right now, they look the same on both, and some even look better on PS3. First they looked worse, now they look even, whats next? As devs get to know PS3 more they can use it to their advantage, making the game look better. You see some games are PS3 lead platform, and thats not going to end anytime soon, its just going to happen more and more.
"
1. first of of all , No , games that are released at the same time on ps3 and 360 look better on 360 every time. The comparison videos are enough to prove this ( and dont try that silly little damage control about the wires not being right or whatever bullshit excuse you can try to turn around on) The ps3 has less random access memory then the 360 and it shows on textures and shaders.

here is an example COD4

caption

Obviously the 360 version has the better shaders

caption

Take a look at the shadows on the weapons ( and this pic is proof of my credibility with these pictures )

caption

again ROFF at the ps3's shaders

caption

Bu but you cant tell the differance!

What the PS3 teams are doing now with these multiplats is adding a blur filter to hide the obvious lack of detail

2. Devs are never going to lead on PS3 unless they want delays and more lost money trying to figure out the cell. The 360's CPU is far superior for game development and general processing. I dont even know why i added that because you are just going to quote it and say im wrong.

3. Those games that are lead  on PS3 are exclusives.
#46 Posted by SpiredCrescent7 (37 posts) -

If one console version releases before another one, get that one as a port may not be as good, if your an acheivement junkie go for 360.  The really big reason to choose 360 multi platform is because the online is much better.  It takes less time to find a game and the communication is overall better, well unless paying for it turns you off completely

#47 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -
SpiredCrescent7 said:
"If one console version releases before another one, get that one as a port may not be as good, if your an acheivement junkie go for 360.  The really big reason to choose 360 multi platform is because the online is much better.  It takes less time to find a game and the communication is overall better, well unless paying for it turns you off completely
"

exactly , PS3 will never have trueskill matchmaking
#48 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -

roff

#49 Posted by antcar11 (45 posts) -

unless it is a single player only game, i suggest buying the same version that your friends are getting. Even if the mulitplayer is bad, you would still rather play with your friends then complete stranges if you ever wanted to try it out.

#50 Posted by Raven_Sword (3383 posts) -

Are They? because I jsut palyed Bad Company on both syestem and they seem to disagree.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.