since it's now out , who here hates the new xbox dash?

  • 83 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by linus_south (142 posts) -

Since it's out of beta now and everybody has it, I though I'd see what everybody thought. 
Plain and simple,  
RAGE if you wanna .. or say you like it.  
 
I can say thus far,  
I hate the white , It makes no sense to make giant blocks with a tiny font for your gamerscore/notifications, HATE the sounds, so on so forth.   

#2 Posted by Jamien (20 posts) -

Love it. It's amazing how far the interface has come from the original ugly blades one.

#3 Posted by megaplushie (201 posts) -

I love the new Dashboard. It's really grown on me over the past month. It looks nicer, works faster, and I really dig the Zune app and updated avatars. I can't look at the old Dash without cringing now.

#4 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I think it looks great. It just looks so much cleaner than before. Then again, I've only looked at it for about a minute, so these are just my absolute first initial impressions.

#5 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Topics like these with updates like this always make me smile xD
 
Didn't check it yet, I'll stay neutral!

#6 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -

I'm looking forward to getting home and getting it. The pictures I've seen so far, and the early previews, seemed to show that this was going to be a nice improvement.  Hopefully it won't run into the same lag issues that came about the last time they updated the dashboard.

#7 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Topics like these with updates like this always make me smile xD  Didn't check it yet, I'll stay neutral! "
I agree with these entirely.
Now reword this to make it look like I said it.
#8 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

if its new, 70 to 90 percent of people hate it

#9 Posted by Depressing_Wizard (186 posts) -

I love it. It's cleaner, simpler, and things load so much quicker.

#10 Posted by thebatmobile (978 posts) -

It's very elegant.

#11 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -
@thebatmobile: Would you describe it as regal?
#12 Posted by thebatmobile (978 posts) -
@zegolf: I would even say majestic.
#13 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -
@thebatmobile: My interest, she is piqued.
#14 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

I like it.  It also doesn't matter whether we like it or not, it isn't going anywhere.

#15 Posted by AlisterCat (5397 posts) -

I think it's great. Updating the avatar clothes was kind of funny. All the clothes going past, then a kat on a skateboard. The new intro is cool, the 'tutorial' at the start IU think will be great for young and inexperienced users. I think the whole thing is better.

#16 Posted by ptys (1747 posts) -

It's a slight improvement, but that grey floor is still a waste of screen-estate.

#17 Posted by JJWeatherman (14483 posts) -

It's goody in tha hoody. I have to check out the updated ESPN app. It was kinda buggy during beta.

#18 Posted by Karmum (11509 posts) -

I've had it since the beta, so it's pretty much nothing new to me now. I prefer it in comparison to the prior dashboard (which I cannot even remember now), but that isn't saying that this one is incredible.

#19 Posted by JoMate (241 posts) -

well design is a lot better now but I have the felling that it handles and loads slower

#20 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Besides it moving and loading some stuff a little slower I really like it a lot.  
Then again I also loved when Xbox.com made changes and now actually look like a website built and designed by people who knows what the fuck they're doing

#21 Posted by swamplord666 (1752 posts) -

prefer the xmb.... oh no he didn't! 
looks good so far. i do kind've miss the way the options expand from the first screen when you move to an option (my xbox, spotlight,etc) instead of the fade in-out that it is now. not sure if i'm making sense...

#22 Posted by zegolf (224 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
" Besides it moving and loading some stuff a little slower I really like it a lot.  Then again I also loved when Xbox.com made changes and now actually look like a website built and designed by people who knows what the fuck they're doing "
I was really hoping we weren't going to see that happen. The lag when the last one came around was noticeable, and I was hoping they wouldn't introduce more lag this time around.
#23 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@zegolf said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" Besides it moving and loading some stuff a little slower I really like it a lot.  Then again I also loved when Xbox.com made changes and now actually look like a website built and designed by people who knows what the fuck they're doing "
I was really hoping we weren't going to see that happen. The lag when the last one came around was noticeable, and I was hoping they wouldn't introduce more lag this time around. "
Same here, but let's hope enough people will complain and they'll make it better soon-ish.. 
Ok it's Microsoft so that probably won't happen but still, the idea of it happening is nice, right? 
#24 Posted by Depressing_Wizard (186 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
" @zegolf said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" Besides it moving and loading some stuff a little slower I really like it a lot.  Then again I also loved when Xbox.com made changes and now actually look like a website built and designed by people who knows what the fuck they're doing "
I was really hoping we weren't going to see that happen. The lag when the last one came around was noticeable, and I was hoping they wouldn't introduce more lag this time around. "
Same here, but let's hope enough people will complain and they'll make it better soon-ish.. Ok it's Microsoft so that probably won't happen but still, the idea of it happening is nice, right?  "
I haven't noticed any lag. In fact every thing seems much faster, especially when looking at my XBLA games.
#25 Posted by skadbob (230 posts) -

I like the new look! 
 
Anyone else getting the Xbox Beta section right on the front page (above "My Xbox") like I am? I was also able to download a beta application and receive a 0-point achievement for being in the beta...
 
To clarify: I was not in the Dashboard or the Kinect betas.

#26 Edited by Branthog (7332 posts) -

It hasn't changed, so of course I hate it. It's still the ugly, bloated, ad-filled piece of shit that wastes tons of screen-real-estate. And on top of it, all they've done is add more bullshit that I despise and gets in my way. (Ooh, wow, I can watch ESPN on my XBOX! Oh wait, I don't watch ESPN, because I couldn't give two shits what happens between one company full of rich tards and another company full of rich tards in another city does). And Facebook. And Twitter. And Games on Demand. And Zune. And Last.FM. And Netflix. And their countless fucking advertising. And their obnoxious full commercials. They have yet to add something that is actually useful and isn't just more "we're trying to get our hooks into everything, so we can spam more ads at the world".

#27 Posted by drgrumbles (202 posts) -

I like it.

#28 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I think it looks great, minus the avatars. 
#29 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

It seems faster, which is the most important thing to me.

#30 Posted by takua108 (1475 posts) -

Okay, update complete. My new avatar looks just like a more realistically-proportioned version of my old avatar. No big deal. 
 
New dashboard is just a more Metro version of the old one. Like many have said, I really wish I could get rid of most of those rows on the main menu. Ah, well. 
 
FINAL OPINION SO FAR: Meh.

#31 Edited by Icadae (103 posts) -

I'm in the process of installing a new game on the harddrive, and the 360 is going AMOK! I'm scared that it might blow up at any moment now - It's spinning really, really loud. Can't use the mouse since the whole table where everything is placed on, is vibrating like crazy. This does not bode well. 65% over 20 minutes so far. Hopefully this is the discs fault, and not the new update. As far as the look? It still shows commercials when I boot it up, and that = Meh. Otherwise, pretty neat and tidy. 
 
EDIT: Xbox is fine, tried installing another game, same result. Either it's showing its age, or the update is screwy. It's almost a year old now.

#32 Posted by skadbob (230 posts) -
@takua108 said:
" New dashboard is just a more Metro version of the old one. "
Goebbels, this is Calibri! NOOOOOOOOO!!! 
 
Hm... after a bit of playing around, it seems like inputs aren't as responsive as before. A lot of my A-presses don't seem to be registering as fast as they did before.
#33 Posted by takua108 (1475 posts) -

The new Guide menu feel a little sluggish, but I do like the look and feel of it. The system menus and avatar creation menus seem snappier, though. But I'm just a huge UI and menu nerd.

#34 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3667 posts) -
@benjaebe said:
" It seems faster, which is the most important thing to me. "
#35 Posted by takua108 (1475 posts) -
@UncertainOtter: That comic is awesome! But I like Calibri D:
#36 Posted by kagato (862 posts) -

Ive been using it for weeks now on the xbox in my bedroom and when i switch to the living room one it was horrible how loud the old sound effects and how bright the colours are.  Im personally happy with the more muted colours and softer sound effects of  the new dashboard, glad its finally gone live.

#37 Posted by Sogeman (852 posts) -

+1 for hate. It's like Youtube. Everytime they change something it's worse. Difference to YT: I have to wait a year for another update that might just fuck everything up again (like themes) They aren't as fucked as from the change to the NXE but still look worse. You now only see like 30% of the background,...

#38 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@Depressing_Wizard said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" @zegolf said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" Besides it moving and loading some stuff a little slower I really like it a lot.  Then again I also loved when Xbox.com made changes and now actually look like a website built and designed by people who knows what the fuck they're doing "
I was really hoping we weren't going to see that happen. The lag when the last one came around was noticeable, and I was hoping they wouldn't introduce more lag this time around. "
Same here, but let's hope enough people will complain and they'll make it better soon-ish.. Ok it's Microsoft so that probably won't happen but still, the idea of it happening is nice, right?  "
I haven't noticed any lag. In fact every thing seems much faster, especially when looking at my XBLA games. "
this. in the past few weeks the old NXE was getting kind of laggy especially in the photo galleries for games. This seems better. Also is everyone trying the new Zunepass? There is a 14-day free trial and at the end of the trial it just ends it doest fuck you over and charge your credit card for a year or something.  It's like Realplayer Rhapsody which is nice, but it won't play in the background while you are gameing which is bad.  I'm not sure i would pay money for it, but it looks slick. Really everything in this update looks very nice. No more silly brushed metal or rounded corners.  The new ESPN service is terrible because tons of people won't qualify for it to play anything but clips, but i think that is ESPN's fault and not microsoft's.
#39 Posted by Krisgebis (222 posts) -

Don't like how they spaced "my xbox" and "friends" so far apart. Those are the once I use the most (by far), and I would guess it was the same for other people too. I might be to make people more aware of the marketplace things, and straight up make more people spend more money. 
Everything else I like so far.

#40 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

I like it. I like the new loadup screen, the menus and guide seem to load quicker. I dont really care for the new updated avatars, but I also hated the old ones.

#41 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

I don't mind the look (have had it since the preview builds), but I am a little disappointed that there weren't really any speed/responsiveness improvements.

#42 Posted by TheBlackPigeon (314 posts) -

Cool dashboard, bro. It loads a hell of a lot faster, and it looks a lot nicer.

#43 Edited by Potter9156 (937 posts) -

I've been using it for a few weeks. I like it. Except the game library is still sloooooow. And that gray half of the dashboard background still ruins themes.

#44 Posted by CptBedlam (4438 posts) -

I hate the bright colors. It's really uncomfortable on the eyes when playing at night with little light.
 
Also, the background fog just plain sucks. It messes up custom background images even more than the stupid planet thing before.
 
It's beyond me why MS won't allow users to fully see their own background images and/or pick their own color schemes.

#45 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

I don't have it O:

#46 Posted by Dimsey (943 posts) -

I've not had any problem with it.
Doesn't seem any slower to me or anything.

#47 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -
@JoMate said:
" well design is a lot better now but I have the felling that it handles and loads slower "
How long have you been using it? It only came out today so unless you were in the BETA, I think it has to do with the fact that it basically reset your caches, so nothing has any preloading. 
 
I love it. Just for the boot up screen, which is sexy and smooth, I love it. But I also love the visual cleanliness. Very simple and great looking. I just want a kinect now... v.v
#48 Posted by Artemis_D (816 posts) -

This is the Internet.  Of course they hate it.  They hate everything.

#49 Posted by PsEG (3489 posts) -

I quite like the new dashboard. So far, I seem to be able to navigate and load menus a bit faster than with the old NXE design. Everything looks slicker and sharper, too. -1 for hate.
 
My only complaint is the way the avatars and backgrounds on the My Friends tab move towards and away from the screen while scrolling. It's a bit strange on the eyes.

Moderator
#50 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -
@Jamien said:
" Love it. It's amazing how far the interface has come from the original ugly blades one. "
Never insult the blades you mother...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.