Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

So after watching Giantbomb play Kinect, what are your thoughts?

• 149 results
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Personaly, while trying to not really judge it based off of launch stuff, I dont know if this thing is really all that functional yet. It seems like when it does work, its real neat, but it does seem like it dosent work more time then it does. I dont know, ive just been kinda underwhelmed by the whole thing. Watching Jeff get frustrated with the Voice controls was real funny though. Theres nothing here that I would really come back to paly probaly except Dance Central, but even that wouldnt be many more times after I first try it, and its nowhere near enough to warrent a 150 dollar price point. I dont know, I still think Move is gonna be more appealing to core gamers unless Kinect can deliver the goods next year and eliminate some of this input lag. And honestly, im not sure how impressed the crew was with it altogether. They seemed to get a little frustrated at times. I dont know, they didnt really give impressions on the tech itself. Maybe tested will do that.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

Regardless of its quality, all I know is that even if I had a 360, there's no way that I could use it properly.  The living room space in my condo is too small and I'm a tall guy.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Some cool ideas coming through, shrouded heavily by jank.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As an interface device I think it would be pretty cool if it worked 100% (which it apparently doesn't). As a way to control my games, I'm not interested in it at all. Like, not even a little bit. 

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Burns098356GX

I think the tech is cool, and if they ever used that same stuff for like regular every day computer use it would be really cool. Currently no games interest me seeing as there all casual type kiddie games, but don't doubt the creativity of the game developers that somebody will find a fit for it in a normal game.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Afroman269

Bargain bin for me.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xyzygy

I didn't watch it because I thought it would end up being overly critical which comes naturally to the GB crew, but just from looking at the software I think I'm gonna wait until I see what comes next. I've read reviews and they all seem to say that when you play a game that uses it well, Kinect works. Dance Central, Your Shape and Kinectimals seem to be the three games that are most responsive to it. So I guess in that way it's depending on the games you play, and developers will probably need time to smooth things out. It was the exact same way with the Wii, too. Remember Red Steel, then we have awesome controls like Metroid Prime 3 later on. 

@Soapy86 said:

" As an interface device I think it would be pretty cool if it worked 100% (which it apparently doesn't). As a way to control my games, I'm not interested in it at all. Like, not even a little bit.  "
    If you watch the Kotaku review he makes it work amazingly well as an interface device. He's even talking to the camera and making voice commands and it works 95% of the time.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Barrock

I'll be waiting a good bit. I need a new 360 so I might end up getting Kinect bundled with a black 360 for Christmas but I'm really not sure. The titles are like all console launches with a bunch of garbage and a few gems.

eternitymemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By eternitymemory

I liked Dance Central, DanceMasters due to my weakness for silly J-pop/dace and a nostalgic love of DDR, and You Shape looks like a good exercise program. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to buy a Kinect, though. : / 

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By turboman

There's no great software to support it as of now... and while there might be a handful of great games in the future, you are stupid to think that "this is the future of gaming". 

Controllers are perfect the way they are. There's no way you can make the next God Of War(not the best example to everybody, but it's the first that popped in my head) using fucking stupid motion controllers.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Cornman89

The tech is impressive in spots, but I have yet to see a Kinect-required game that interests me. Also, tiny college dorm room.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Sooperspy

Looks alright, but not for $150.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

Looks like another thing my mom and 8 year old cousin would play non-stop.
    bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bigsmoke77

First thing  I can say is don't fully judge it until you played it, I bought a 250gb console bundle with kinect and Dance Central mostly because I wanted a new console and a larger hard drive and I wanted to try out KInect and this bundle is only $100 more than without kinect. I have played it a little bit myself and I did not have any problems with the voice control or picking  the memory unit like jeff, I think after standing and working for 4-5 hours he was getting pissed off and he wanted the system to do more than it could. The technology is amazing and Kinect Adventures will be a fun game for a week and Dance Central will be fun to try and get good at and play with friends at a Party, which is what Im going to do tomorrow. Take out Dance Central and Ur Shape this is probably the worst lineup for gamers, for new gamers its a little bit better, you have to remember Kinect is for and being marketed to Families and non traditional gamers. As of right now if you got money to burn and like cool technology, I would say buy kinect or if you have kids and wife that might try out some of it, then I would say buy it, if you like playing Modern Warfare/ Fallout or something around those lines then wait and see what other games come out and the price might go down too.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vorbis

Great technology, but it's going to be a long time before we see it used properly. None of those games interest me in the slightest and it looks like there's a long way to go before games start using the UI to its advantage.

So basically it's in the same position as the Move, could be good, but with its current releases... pass.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By iamjohn

Oh please. 

Alright, let me reintroduce you two: rider, meet horse.  Horse, meet rider.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By SSully

I would like it for party games, and would only get it as a gift. I think it will do casual stuff well and be a good contender for the wii, but until i am proven other wise, i would not want to play anything but a party game on this. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By meteora

Fascinating hardware weighed down by mediocre software. 

It also doesn't help that the Kinect wasn't the same hardware we originally saw at 2008's E3.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xyzygy

I just thought of something. If Kinect does sell well and pays off from the advertising (Microsoft is so sure it's going to sell that they've increased sales outlook.... by 2 million), then we'll probably see a price cut sometime before the summer. 

@bigsmoke77: Jeff and the crew are overly critical on a lot of things for no reason, Jeff more so than the others, so him complaining about the voice control like that isn't surprising and should be taken with a grain of salt. It's actually kinda childish sometimes :P

badwhodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By badwhodo

it is very ambitious but it seems rushed.  another year of development maybe?

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RobotHamster

Like everyone said, the tech is cool but I can't see any games really worth it for it.  The move is basically a wii hd but at least it's proven to work and actual games will support it.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Its a neat idea but I still don't like it. 
    RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RubberFactory

No Caption Provided
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By Yummylee

The Living Statues stuff was hauntingly awesome.

cire147258369

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cire147258369

Great concept,had alot of great things going for it like Dance central and when the voice stuff worked the first time but there needs to be a few tweaks to it and more games that really show off how diverse and great it can be especially with the price and room your gona need to get it to work. 

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By rjayb89

The Kinect is only as good as its software, and among them are the first fitness game they played and Dance Central - niche titles that don't interest me in concept alone.  I do, however, enjoy me some table tennis but Wii Sports Resort is good enough for me video game realm-wise.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bybeach

The little I saw looked suprisingly fun. I was suprisingly suprised.  

But I do not think I'll be into it.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ZimboDK

Dance Central and Your Shape looked interesting. I won't be buying it though. First of all, it's too expensive in my country (about 220 bucks), and there was way too much jank in most of the games. Great job by the guys though. I missed the first 30 minutes, but saw everything after that. I love this site.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cnlmullen

It seems like a pretty cool idea, but it's not for me. 

I like to play my games sitting down, on a couch, in the dark whenever possible.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ravensword

Right now it seems like it was launched a bit prematurely. Like, it needs a few patches or something. Im open for it being great, but im not seeing it right now. I need to buy a new 360 before anything though, since mine is starting to glitch up. So it might be a ways off before I could even think about getting it.

Bokolino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bokolino

i will buy it, but sometime in december.
    but i wonder, will it work in xbox'es that are not conected to live? cause those ware a lot of updates. (excuse the bad spelling)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Claude

It made me think about removing my coffee table. That's about how far I've gone.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#33  Edited By Sin4profit

If my xbox ever dies i'll pick up the bundle. 
    i think i'll be more interested in it when they come out with a "wand" peripheral that works in conjunction with it.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ravensword
    @cire147258369:

tahts my issue. Im in a smallish room. My bed is in the middle and I know there is only about 6 feet from the edge of the bed to where the thing would be, meaning I would have no room for it to work. Honestly, considering all the lack of interest im seeing from comments from gamers and the room limitations, I dont see how this can sell massively. But then again, this isnt meant for us, its meant for your little cousin. But thats not how you make something a hit, you have to appeal and target everyone, not just one group.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SlightConfuse

Really cool tech that works well but lack of software(besides Dance Central) has me not really interested in obtaining one

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ravensword
    @slightconfuse:

Does it work well though? Im hearing from reviews its unresponsive alot of times and even jeff struggled to get some of the stuff to work.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RE_Player1

I thought the Your Shape and Dance Central segments were amazing and showed what Kinect is truly capable of, everything else was mediocre. It seems like Move, from my own experience, is more consistently good with casual and hardcore games and from watching Kinect it has more misses than hits but when it does hit man is it fucking impressive. 

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By danimal_furry

Kinect looks like trash, besides a couple of games. I understand the fact that there is a period where these systems have to let developers catch up. However, Nintendo already does a lot of what this system does. I guarantee the Japanese company has already reverse engineered this tech., and figured out what was wrong. The problem is, 360 and the PS3 are playing catch up. When the next generation comes out, Nintendo will have the upper hand again. They will up the graphics, design a less flawed motion system and leave Microsoft and Sony behind for 2 or three years while they try to catch up again. Nintendo's new niche in video games is going to make them a bundle. Quote me on that.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By big_jon

The sports game looked pretty well made thanks to Rare but the Kinect its self seems pretty iffy.
    Homer39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Homer39

i find it funny that Microsoft is going for this whole you dont need a controller thing but the menu navigation was soooo slow, and it seemed the pose the guys kept doing to get the pause menu to pop up was never read correctly by the camera and would take forever to register. the only games that really showed off the tech was Dance Central,  Kinect Adventures and maybe Kinect Sports. sorry Microsoft but im not sold yet.

Jayzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41  Edited By Jayzz

That they should do more live quick looks. was cool.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Enigma777

About what I expected... I certainly won't waste any money on it though, even if I did have the space to use it properly.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By Brendan

Remembering the "How tall are you?" thread where it seems half of the members of this site are like 6'6 or something crazy, I don't see how any of you could use Kinect.  I'm 6'1 but I don't have a lot of space.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By danimal_furry
    @Jayzz said:

"That they should do more live quick looks. was cool. "

I agree. That aspect was great. Jeff and Ryan have some good experience with live feeds, but I was amazed how well they can keep people entertained while doing very little.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By Vinny_Says

The voice controls and face recognition were great when they worked, the track and field game looked fun but in a try-it-once-demo-sorta-thing way.... 

None of the games interest me, but I am ready to see what the next batch brings to kinect. Also controlling most of the menus with kinect was painfully dreadful to watch, can't imagine actually doing it. 

The technology has promise, I can say that much.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By danimal_furry

I forgot to say that my favorite part was when Ryan just left, after he crashed his horse for the umpteenth time. That is definitely one of the best moments in Whiskey Media history... along with drunk Will and drunk Rorie.
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MiniPato

Same as before. Excels at dance and fitness games and not much else. I don't see them implementing the Kinect in any meaningful way for hardcore games, but of course they never intended to. Seeing as how I suck at rhythm games and have no interest in losing weight or getting in shape, Kinect is not for me. And buttons are faster than broad hand movements. If I can summon a glass of water from waving my hands, then that'd be fucking amazing, navigating a menu on my TV? Not so much. I much prefer buttons and I never lose my remotes or controllers. Voice commands seem like the only neat thing on it.

All in all, eh. I'll wait for the technology to evolve to the point where it is more or just as convenient as using a controller. Kinect just feels like a prototype for something bigger or more advanced. I'll wait for that.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By Marz

not really worth my investment unless i wanted to use it as an exercise device.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hatking

I'm glad I'm not Jeff's height and weight; that thing seemed to hate him. I'm very close to Ryan's height, and it seemed to prefer him for the most part. 

My point being that I might but it.  Oddly enough, I thought the fitness stuff really looked fun.  I'm sure I could use a real fitness program to releave some of the stress from my life.
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By cornbredx

Still looks like a gimmick with no lasting appeal, as I've felt since seeing E3 stuff about it. Ya, it does some neat stuff, but for a core gamer it will never be very useful as far as I can tell. I dont see any way they could make more solid games with the way the system works. Theres no way to track movement on a plane with it. You cant do anything with it beyond looking at the screen as far as I can tell. 

Will be relegated to shovel ware, mini game collections, and maybe some rail shooters. None of which warrant the investment for me. I dont currently see Kinect lasting more than ~6 months at the moment. Only time will truly tell though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.