'Substantial franchise' returning as Xbox exclusive

• 65 results
Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Official Xbox Editor Jon Hicks has told CVG that the mag will next month reveal the return of a "substantial franchise" - as an Xbox exclusive. 
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242499

Duder!  Could it....could it be Shenmue III? Most likely just getting my hopes up once again but that would be freaking amazing and one of the biggest shock announcements I'll have ever heard in the gaming industry.

As I say though, it's incredibly unlikely but after some intense Google research (more like 10 seconds worth) I came across this nugget of information which has fueled my hope for this to be Shenmue III some more;

Sega recently told Famitsu magazine that Shenmue 3 is still talked about as a possibility at the company. The problem is poor sales compared to the costs of making the game. Sega assures fans that were there ever an opportunity to revisit the franchise then it could happen.   
http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/01/30/sega-hasnt-given-up-on-shenmue-3/ 

Further reasoning for my belief that this could be Shenmue III is that Shenmue is hailed as a classic, innovative and way ahead of its time. I think it's earned the right to be called a substantial franchise as it has one heck of a legacy. Shenmue II was also released on the original Xbox (exclusively)with English voiceover work, the Dreamcast version had Japanese voicework only.

Still, I am like I say most likely getting my hopes up for nothing.

#1 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Official Xbox Editor Jon Hicks has told CVG that the mag will next month reveal the return of a "substantial franchise" - as an Xbox exclusive. 
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242499

Duder!  Could it....could it be Shenmue III? Most likely just getting my hopes up once again but that would be freaking amazing and one of the biggest shock announcements I'll have ever heard in the gaming industry.

As I say though, it's incredibly unlikely but after some intense Google research (more like 10 seconds worth) I came across this nugget of information which has fueled my hope for this to be Shenmue III some more;

Sega recently told Famitsu magazine that Shenmue 3 is still talked about as a possibility at the company. The problem is poor sales compared to the costs of making the game. Sega assures fans that were there ever an opportunity to revisit the franchise then it could happen.   
http://gamer.blorge.com/2010/01/30/sega-hasnt-given-up-on-shenmue-3/ 

Further reasoning for my belief that this could be Shenmue III is that Shenmue is hailed as a classic, innovative and way ahead of its time. I think it's earned the right to be called a substantial franchise as it has one heck of a legacy. Shenmue II was also released on the original Xbox (exclusively)with English voiceover work, the Dreamcast version had Japanese voicework only.

Still, I am like I say most likely getting my hopes up for nothing.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19334 posts) -

Get your hopes up, and you shall be crushed.

My vote is for Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg.

#3 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

It's OK, Super Street Fighter IV will soften the blow.

But god damn it, Lan Di needs his comeuppance. 

Someday.

#4 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

Jazz Jackrabbit? 

Full disclosure, this was also my pick for Cliff Bleszinski's big reveal on TV. I was wrong.

#5 Posted by xyzygy (9980 posts) -

I. Would. Shit.

#6 Posted by xyzygy (9980 posts) -

Man now that I think about this I have no idea what it could be. 

Maybe a new Jet Set Radio game! or Panzer Dragoon!

#7 Posted by CoheedFavorHouse (670 posts) -

i would guess metal gear. but that's just wishful thinking.

#8 Posted by Gabriel (4061 posts) -

Don't get your hopes up it's probably another Blinx

#9 Posted by AltonBrown (950 posts) -

Jet Set Dragoon and the Giant Egg starring Ryo Hazuki and Gillus Thunderhead.

#10 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1054 posts) -

***insert random game with big guns, giant explosions, and capture the flag mode here**

#11 Posted by xyzygy (9980 posts) -
@Gabriel: I'd hardly say that Blinx is big enough to warrant an editor calling it a substantial franchise.
#12 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Earthworm Jim?

@CoheedFavorHouse: Why do you WANT Metal Gear to go xbox exclusive? That would be a HUGE kick in the pants to those of us who went PS3 partially because of MGS fandom.

And they should stop making Metal Gear games anyway.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (24707 posts) -

It's Shadow the Hedgehog II.

#14 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Killer Instinct.

#15 Posted by mikeeegeee (1559 posts) -

Battletoads.

#16 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -
@mikeeegeee said:
" Battletoads. "
When in doubt...
#17 Posted by Redbullet685 (6044 posts) -

Jet Set  or crazy taxi would be freaking great!

#18 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I refuse to be excited.  I can't remember the last time someone hyped up a countdown and it didn't completely disappoint.

#19 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

How are you linking the Sega statement and the other together? 

Honestly, I doubt it's Shenmue...because it said SUBSTANTIAL...which I would assume means "makes a shitload of money".

#20 Posted by Brodehouse (9949 posts) -

Alfred Chicken.

#21 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -

SAMBA DE AM- 

oh wait yeah they did a crappy wii version.

#22 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

XCOM

#23 Posted by DystopiaX (5310 posts) -
@CoheedFavorHouse said:
" i would guess metal gear. but that's just wishful thinking. "
Did you forget about MGS Rising?
#24 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

It's GTA5. Microsoft is that crazy, and that rich.   :P

#25 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
" Alfred Chicken. "
Ha ha ha. Sure, why not.
#26 Posted by oraknabo (1459 posts) -

This is probably just an old arcade rehash.  

I'd love another Shenmue, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

#27 Posted by chrissedoff (2096 posts) -

a new crimson skies perhaps? that would be awesoooooome

#28 Posted by caesius6 (188 posts) -

When is this info supposed to be released?

#29 Posted by fastkilr (98 posts) -

Sonic 4: Episode 2.

#30 Posted by Tesla (1921 posts) -

Oh my god please be Shogo 2!

#31 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

Since when was Shenmue substantial? There's a reason a 3rd wasn't made. They cost a bajillion dollars to make and didn't sell that well. A shenmue 3 would be cool, but it's been so long that your average gamer probably doesn't even remember the story.  

Personally I'd like to see it, but who knows? 

What I'd love to see more would be another Jet Set Radio game. Too bad it's definitely not substantial in any way. Cult hit, but awesome nonetheless. 

#32 Posted by nyuckelhead (165 posts) -

I'm hoping for new Conker, Jade Empire, KOTR, or Ninja Gaiden. One of those PLEASE!!

#33 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Mario. 

Or Killer Instinct. Whatever.

#34 Edited by ahoodedfigure (4240 posts) -

Well...  what I want and what I get are rarely the same, but I want a more traditional RPG version of Phantasy Star, rather than the PSO stuff.

Trying not to be crushed but...  ohpleaseohpleaseohplease

Wait, why is this connected to Sega?

#35 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -

I'd love it to be Jet Set.

#36 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -
@Matfei90 said:
" I'd love it to be Jet Set. "
Dude, yes. Yes in every way. Yes to fucking 11.
#37 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@nyuckelhead said:
" I'm hoping for new Conker, Jade Empire, KOTR, or Ninja Gaiden. One of those PLEASE!! "
Ninja Gaiden? The last Xbox version of that was Ninja Gaiden 2 in 2008, way too recent for it to be considered a return.
#38 Posted by nyuckelhead (165 posts) -
@Ygg said:
" @nyuckelhead said:
" I'm hoping for new Conker, Jade Empire, KOTR, or Ninja Gaiden. One of those PLEASE!! "
Ninja Gaiden? The last Xbox version of that was Ninja Gaiden 2 in 2008, way too recent for it to be considered a return. "
Yeah your right, but one can dream. :)
#39 Posted by MannAlive (155 posts) -
@louiedog said:
" XCOM "
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is just that lame X-Com FPS that was already confirmed this week.  That shouldn't count as a "return" as no FPS can have anything to do with X-Com.  It's just a shooter that some guy said, "Hey, let's slap our X-Com license on this," and his boss said, "OK, but let's lose the hyphen.  That will make it cool."
#40 Posted by afrofools (1343 posts) -
@Ygg:  Never played Shenmue, or a Dreamcast, but wish that every Dreamcast game was magically ported & available for download, and they all would all magically get sequels. Man I loved playing Crazy Taxi on my PS2, getting all those insane scores.
#41 Posted by natetodamax (19204 posts) -

Syphon Filter.

#42 Posted by The_A_Drain (3910 posts) -

Jesus Christ. People. Just let it go, Shenmue 3 is not happening, not in this, or any other parallel universe.  

Just let it go. That way if it does happen, you'll shit bricks with excitement rather than killing yourself when it never happens.

#43 Posted by EVO (3906 posts) -

It's obviously Brute Force 2.

#44 Posted by Rowr (5625 posts) -
Maybe, just maybe op, if you wish really hard it will make it happen.
#45 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

If Shenmue III came out on XBOX I would rebuy a Microsoft console. Shenmue III will never happen though. And if it did, it would probably use the Yakuza engine.

#46 Posted by bartok (2480 posts) -

I still don't get the love for the Shenume franchise but to each there own. Personally I think a substantial franchise that needs to make a comeback is Streets of Rage or Double Dragon.

#47 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever, heard it here first
#48 Posted by Turtlemayor333 (510 posts) -

What have the guys behind Oddworld been doing? I'd love a sequel to Stranger's Wrath.

#49 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I think Shenmue is more of a series than a franchise.

#50 Posted by ch3burashka (5065 posts) -

Fuhgeddabaddit. Shenmue is dead in the water.

It's Killer Instinct 3 for sure. Perfect timing too: the competitive fighting scene is the biggest it's been in years.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.