Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Surely Microsoft can't be making any money on the 360.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

Everyone I know has gone through a handful of 360's and the fail rate is 100% because every console suffers from the same problem, just a matter of time. All I hear on the internet is how so many 360's red ring and I wouldn't normally believe such a high failure rate if my real life friends 360's havn't all died. Some of them got so fed up with being scared their console would red ring that they just got rid of them all together and bought a PS3 or just stuck with PC.

Like I don't see how Microsoft can make any money when they have to constantly be replacing 360's :\ Surely it would just be cheaper if they just made better hardware.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

They got rid of them because they were scared they would red ring? Idiots. As high as a rate it is, it's not 100% you know. They really wouldn't be making money if it was. Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Or anywhere else for that matter, including your newspapers and history books. People who have the issue are more likely to go online and whine than people who are having fun playing games, you know?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

It has not got a 100% failure rate, I doubt very much that's the case. There are still those with launch machines that work fine. The fact is Microsoft do not publish that information, and likely with good reason as I am sure it must be damning. The failure rate is undoubtedly high, but it's not as high as that.

They are making money, but nowhere near as much money as they would be making if not for the failure rate. They make the money in licensing, XBL subs and first party software from their prime studios, but the fact of the matter is they lose vast sums in the fault prone hardware. The new warranty scheme in place takes vast chunks out of their profit margins, but it is essential, because it ultimately secures Microsoft's next console success.

The 360 is a awesome console despite it's problems, it has a firm sizable userbase and fantastic software library, it also has the best online service. The fact that it's much loved despite the continual woe it can create for it's users, bears testament to the quality of it's positives.

You can be darn sure Microsoft's next console will not suffer the ills of the current console, I imagine it will undergo a rigorous degree of testing before it's put onto the market and will make vast sums of money on the back of the 360.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PureRok

I just love it when people pull random statistics out of their ass.

100% of people who use statistics without a source are lying.

See what I did there?

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By destruktive

My (near launch) xbox is dead but as soon as I've send it in I will get a new one and my other has been going on for about 2 years.
    My friend has a launch one that haven't died yet and so on.

And yes, MS is making a lot of money on the 360 :P

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By oldschool

The failure rate is about 1/3rd.  That is a ridiculous number for any consumer product.  However, that means that 2/3rd don't fail.

Buying a 360 is a gamble.  A gamble that I have taken, but only after a long time and several hardware changes.  I doubt that Microsoft are making money on the consoles though, due to the high cost of replacing them.  They set aside over 1 billion dollars to cover it and I bet that has cost more.  There is no way they are going to quit, so they will just accept the losses.
    Muze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Muze
    PureRok said:
    "I just love it when people pull random statistics out of their ass.100% of people who use statistics without a source are lying.See what I did there?"
    LOL
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By iamjohn
    Linkyshinks said:
    "There are still those with launch machines that work fine. "
    Hey, what's up?
    FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Not to mention that if your 360 does red ring within the special red ring warranty then you just send it away and microsoft fixes it for free, postage paid

So customer service plus kick ass game mean a problem like the red ring of death can be overlooked by shoppers
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    PapaLazarou said:
    "Everyone I know has gone through a handful of 360's and the fail rate is 100% because every console suffers from the same problem, just a matter of time."
    By that logic every console, not just the 360, has a 100% fail rate because, assuming I play them for an infinite amount of time, they'll all fail eventually. Everyone seems to forget the problems Sony had with Disc Read Errors on the Playstation 2. That was just as bad as the RROD, and did Sony still make money? Hell yes they did.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Red

Take it to the gamespot system wars. Your fanboyism is not wanted here.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By crunchUK

I believe they have lost around a billion from hardware failures

They also stated at E3 that hey had made over a billion in xbox live subscriptions, marketplace DLC and the likes.

That and the games per console rate is higher than any other console

So yeah, it all balances out me think

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Jensonb

Microsoft don't make any money on Xbox 360 hardware anyway, it is sold at or near Break Even (And often at a loss).

They make money on software.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toowalrus

100% of people think Roller Coaster Tycoon sucks.

Yeah, Microsoft makes tons of dough.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By xplodedd
    TooWalrus said:
    "100% of people think Roller Coaster Tycoon sucks.Yeah, Microsoft makes tons of dough."
    o yeah. it does, and you know what else?

98% of the people who know harmonix think it sucks
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By AgentJ
    AnimZero said:
    "PapaLazarou said:
    "Everyone I know has gone through a handful of 360's and the fail rate is 100% because every console suffers from the same problem, just a matter of time."
    By that logic every console, not just the 360, has a 100% fail rate because, assuming I play them for an infinite amount of time, they'll all fail eventually. Everyone seems to forget the problems Sony had with Disc Read Errors on the Playstation 2. That was just as bad as the RROD, and did Sony still make money? Hell yes they did."
    Lol why is it that when gaming companies(except Nintendo because apparantly their consoles are made out of pure infinite studiness) make an awesome and successful gaming console (See Ps2/Xbox 360) they have some unusually high failure rate? Wait, both of these were the first to market in their generation... i wonder if that has something to do with it..
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jayge_

There are numerous things to consider:

1. The market share and brand identity gained by placing their product on the market around a year before any of the other ones (plus the profits from those sales).
    2. The amount of people who have bought, re-bought, and bought 360s yet again simply because of their investment in their game collections and friends on Xbox Live. 
    3. The amount of revenue brought in from Xbox Live subscriptions.
    4. The amount of revenue brought in by advertisements on the dashboard and elsewhere.
    5. The ridiculous Microsoft Point system that almost always gives them leftover money that will just sit there for long periods of time as opposed to wii points and PSN stuff that will let you buy in exact amounts.
    6. Microsoft's movie and TV show system (which does fairly well, I think).
    So while the 360's red ring issue might cost them a shit ton of money, and while I have no *real* knowledge of the profit margins brought in by each of these factors listed above, in my opinion I would hazard a guess that overall, the 360 has been a very successful platform for Microsoft, and quite possibly a profitable one as well.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iamjohn
    Jensonb said:
    "Microsoft don't make any money on Xbox 360 hardware anyway, it is sold at or near Break Even (And often at a loss).They make money on software."
    Actually, they
    do make money on Xbox 360 hardware now (maybe not on the Arcade, but they definitely do on the Pro and the Elite).  In fact, the only console that's still not profitable is the PS3.
    Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Eelcire

Well, my launch system 360 is still going strong. And last I read Microsoft was indeed making money off each unit sold; with any losses due to returns accounted for. Microsoft wrote off a $1 billion loss to cover the RROD problems already, so any returns now would be accounted for. But as posters above have already explained, most money in the home console market comes from licencing and some from accessory sales.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By mracoon
    Jayge said:
    "There are numerous things to consider:
    1. The market share and brand identity gained by placing their product on the market around a year before any of the other ones (plus the profits from those sales).
    2. The amount of people who have bought, re-bought, and bought 360s yet again simply because of their investment in their game collections and friends on Xbox Live. 
    3. The amount of revenue brought in from Xbox Live subscriptions.
    4. The amount of revenue brought in by advertisements on the dashboard and elsewhere.
    5. The ridiculous Microsoft Point system that almost always gives them leftover money that will just sit there for long periods of time as opposed to wii points and PSN stuff that will let you buy in exact amounts.
    6. Microsoft's movie and TV show system (which does fairly well, I think).
    So while the 360's red ring issue might cost them a shit ton of money, and while I have no *real* knowledge of the profit margins brought in by each of these factors listed above, in my opinion I would hazard a guess that overall, the 360 has been a very successful platform for Microsoft, and quite possibly a profitable one as well."
    Now Amazon are selling XBLA games for their actual prices so you don't have to have all of those excess points.
    thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thiago

Funny how the OP is being attacked for speaking the truth. If you buy a product that you know that will fail you are either rich, and you don't bother about spending, or just dumb. And The 360 doesn't have the best games, the PS3 lineup is better.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

100% of 360s will fail? lol okay lets just assume that no system has been upgraded with better components smaller components...ect even with ignoreing that fact 100% of systems wont fail because all of them would have failed by now, Don't use the word eventually because if you say that then every system fails in this regard every system eventually will fail.

Now lets unignore the fact that the systems made today are far different then those originally made and we have an whole other reason that 100% of systems won't fail, all so last i checked microsoft was making a profit since 2008 on each system sold they aren't just breaking even now they are infact selling at a profit.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ieatlions

they make money since it cost less to make the 360 than what there selling it for

adytown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By adytown

You know what, you guys.  Go to any reputable repair store any you'll get the truth.  100% of 360's have the same problem...It's simply a matter of usage.  Some people don't play for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time.  At that rate, if the console's kept ventilated, it might never die...who knows.

I had....had an xbox manufactured on march 2008, better heatsink and the like.  Guess what,  May 2009 I got the E74 red light.

The repair store in Calgary AB, literally gets 1 xbox / day to repair due to the red light error.  360's are beginning to be made substantially better but the failure rate is still 100% with consumer care and usage being the only variable to the postponement of a hardware failure.  We'll see how long my replacement, from microsoft, lasts.  This time I'm going to cut myself off after a couple hours, to let it cool.  That's the only way to maintain it's life.....Even so, I still have my doubts.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By JonathanMoore

When Microsoft take the time to actually construct a console that wont brake in a couple of months, ill actually go out and pick up some 360 games, until then, even the Wii is in higher regard for me.

-- God Bless.

Number1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Number1
    PapaLazarou said:
    Everyone I know has gone through a handful of 360's and the fail rate is 100% because every console suffers ... [more]
    LOL did they sell there cars so they wouldnt crash.
    cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cc23574

I bought my 360 last year and it's still working fine.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they make a profit from the high attach rate of games.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By Icemael
    thiago said:
    Funny how the OP is being attacked for speaking the truth. If you buy a product that you know that ... [more]
    Hey look, I can be a fanboy as well:
    If you buy the most expensive console, which also happens to have an awful lineup, you are either rich and don't bother spending, or dumb. Especially since it has the worst controller and no backward compatibility.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.