The best demos you've played.

• 74 results
#1 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I just got my Xbox 360 and I'm looking for some good demos to play.

#2 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

Really, it depends on what genre you are most interested in.  You give us that pertinent information and perhaps a few recommendations will come your way. :D

#3 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Shooters, Action, Racing, Sports and XBLA.

#4 Posted by Peacemaker (1104 posts) -

Definitely Dead Rising, it's 15 minutes to kill as many zombies as possibly.  I almost wish that was the whole game.

#5 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

not saying these are the best games (although you want to pick them up/ play them) but these demos are great fun (im only listing ones in your genre)

Lost Planet
Devil May Cry 4
Dead Rising
Ninja Gaiden 2
Grid
PGR4
Alien Homid (xbla)

best game with a demo is Blue Dragon.  That being said, I think the demo is extremely meh.
but you also might want to experiment- I found Viva Pinata this way.  Great game.  Kameo is way better than it's demo (8 used at gamestop too).   And some people really like the Outfit (i dont though)- this game is rare though, you can't find it at most places

#6 Posted by Riddler (1528 posts) -

NINJA GAIDEN 2  <----- without a doubt

Crackdown

Lostplanet

Geometry wars 2

Skate

NBA street Homecourt

#7 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Thanks, I'll try those out.

#8 Posted by ShiroMe (130 posts) -

Geometry wars is a must demo, but don't buy it because the demo is the full game.

#9 Posted by Riddler (1528 posts) -
ShiroMe said:
"

Geometry wars is a must demo, but don't buy it because the demo is the full game.

"
geometry wars2 the full game has 6 modes.....the demo has 1 mode limited to 3 mins...........
#10 Posted by BlackSuitAndTie9 (289 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden 2, Too Human, Call of Duty 2, Project Gotham Racing 4.

Really all I can think of at the moment. There are a lot of demos on there.

#11 Posted by Homer (1372 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden 2
Too Human

#12 Posted by Churchy (17 posts) -

Bioshock is the best demo I've ever played... EVER.

#13 Posted by Xeno (130 posts) -
Churchy said:
Yeah, the BioShock demo is probably the best demo on XBL.
#14 Edited by Met2609 (555 posts) -
Churchy said:
"Bioshock is the best demo I've ever played... EVER.
"
Agreed. It gives you just enough of the gameplay to get you interested in it and it leaves you at a point where you want to see what's going to happen next. It's great.
#15 Edited by Creciente (82 posts) -
Xeno said:
"Churchy said:
Yeah, the BioShock demo is probably the best demo on XBL."
If you don't mind me asking - why is it so great? I'm planning to buy the game, but would love to check the demo beforehand.

As for my favourite, that's probably Kameo: Elements of Power. It made me want to buy the game, so I did.
#16 Posted by Oni (2098 posts) -

Ninja Gaiden 2 demo. Better than the full game because it stops before the game gets super frustrating and makes you want to kill every last member of the dev team.

Bioshock has a very good demo in terms of making you want the full game.

Too Human is an acquired taste, but I enjoyed it and I'll probably buy the game.

#17 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

o i thought this topic was about our favorite demos  ever of all time. lol i was gonna say the first time i played the metal gear solid demo, that blew me away and i did anything to get the full game

#18 Posted by toolzz360 (172 posts) -

for me it is easily too human so far out of all the demos...battlefield bad company in 2nd

#19 Posted by Green_Incarnate (1788 posts) -

Phantasy Star Universe, Saints Row, Battlefield Bad Company. All those demos had  me playing for hours.

#20 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -

PSU and Too human

#21 Posted by BlackSuitAndTie9 (289 posts) -
Creciente said:
"Xeno said:
"Churchy said:
Yeah, the BioShock demo is probably the best demo on XBL."
If you don't mind me asking - why is it so great? I'm planning to buy the game, but would love to check the demo beforehand.

As for my favourite, that's probably Kameo: Elements of Power. It made me want to buy the game, so I did.
"
It's the intro of the game when the plane crashes and you arrive at Rapture. You get to duke it out with some enemies and it's a great preview for a game in my opinion. I highly recommend the game to anyone...except kids. :)
#22 Posted by mjwickstrom1 (186 posts) -

GRID, DiRT, Burnout Paradise, Battlefield: Bad Company, and NCAA Football 09 are a few good ones.

#23 Posted by mjwickstrom1 (186 posts) -

GRID, DiRT, Burnout Paradise, Battlefield: Bad Company, and NCAA Football 09 are a few good ones.

#24 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

oh yea, Phantasy Star Universe.  I played it for probably 10 hours, maybe more.  It's more so a beta, you can level up and you do have a character.  It actually does say beta still despite having come out a long time ago.  Fun.  But I don't think it's worth $15/ month for the full game

#25 Posted by Blu_Magic (2021 posts) -

Bioshock demo is pretty good.

#26 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Bioshock was my personal favorite demo

#27 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

There are tons of great demos honestly, and too many to count. Generally speaking the demo is good if the game is good... So yeah, Bioshock anyone lol.

#28 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

The beautiful katamari demo is awesome. Saves you from having to buy the actual game

#29 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"The beautiful katamari demo is awesome. Saves you from having to buy the actual game
"
Baha, some might say that about the Burnout demo, some people still play that lol. Oh and DiRT, gave away far too much IMO, what made me not buy the game... but luckily I didn't because then GRID came along; awesome sauce.
#30 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

Crackdown, BioShock
#31 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -

Too Human was a good demo. Burst Limit was alright.

#32 Posted by Leon31 (125 posts) -

Geometry Wars 2 definitely, I also liked Boom Boom Rocket and DMC4. Too Human was alright, it's either a hit or miss depending on who you are; and crackdown.

#33 Posted by MB (12430 posts) -

I probably put the most time into the Crackdown demo.  Pretty great fun with a friend, at that time there was no equivalent on Xbox 360.

#34 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -

Best demo i ever played was Dead Rising and Battlefield: Bad Company

#35 Posted by PaperPlain (243 posts) -

Skate. demo. I played that 5-6 hours in total. But try Phantasy Star Online if you like MMORPGs. It's like a 30 day trial or something.

#36 Posted by nubsway (45 posts) -

Crackdown was the best demo, it was like the full game in some ways.

#37 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Sentry said:
"BlindEffekt said:
"The beautiful katamari demo is awesome. Saves you from having to buy the actual game
"
Baha, some might say that about the Burnout demo, some people still play that lol. Oh and DiRT, gave away far too much IMO, what made me not buy the game... but luckily I didn't because then GRID came along; awesome sauce.
"
Yeah, if you really think about it, katamari is only arcade quality in terms of money.
Id hate to pay for a full retail game, that only consists of demo+some.
#38 Posted by Jaconius (145 posts) -

Oddly, i loved the ShadowRun demo >_______> But that's just me.

The Bioshock demo is vastly superior to all the demoes on live.

Also, try Stranglehold and Dead Rising.

#39 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
  • Crackdown
  • Bioshock
  • Condemned

Anything really, just chain up some demos while you're playing a game. Look through the entire list, you can sort it by demo, and you'll find some fun stuff. Stay away from Facebreaker though, played that today... worse than Too Human.
#40 Posted by Batman (1016 posts) -

Skate, Battlefield: Bad Company (if you don't already have the game), and you might as well try Too Human out.

#41 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Oh yeah, Skate was one hell of a demo IMO.

#42 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

I remember sitting up one night to get the skate demo. Then found out about 6 hours later, NZ didn't get it.

#43 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

Saints Row had an alright demo at the time.

#44 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Dead Rising !!

#45 Posted by Bloodbath (85 posts) -

Crackdown and Bad Company

#46 Posted by dev_ron (350 posts) -

i lot of people talked about BioShock. but i wouldn't recommend that to you. try DiRT and Ninja Gaiden 2. i'm sure you'll like 'em

#47 Posted by Thrawn1 (1340 posts) -

don't play the bioshock demo unless you have enough money to buy the full game...it's that good.

#48 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

The Bioshock demo is not only the best demo on XBL, but one of the best demos ever released for a game in terms of "makes you want to buy the full release". It's up there with the 1998 Metal Gear Solid Demo that stopped after Octopus' heart attack. It presents you with a very nice, atmospheric portion of the game (the beginning), has just the right length (about an hour?) and gives you a nice overview of most of the games elements (both story- and fightingwise) without overloading you with information (Too Human Demo, anyone?).

That said, I didn't like Bioshock. The demo is super interesting and I played it a lot, then got the game, and was disappointed. The whole fighting system seemed broken. Then again, that's just me.

Other demos you might wanna check out:
Battlefield: Bad Company
Lost Planet
Dead Rising
Ninja Gaiden

#49 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Thrawn said:
"don't play the bioshock demo unless you have enough money to buy the full game...it's that good.
"
Haha yeah this ^
#50 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -

Crackdown demo was great, wish I could say the same for the full game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.