The death of the 400 point arcade game

#1 Posted by ManMadeGod (1584 posts) -

Anyone remember the last decent 400 point came to come out on the Arcade? I can't.
Hell, I can't even remember the last 400 point came to come out at all.
To be honest I have stopped caring about most of the junk on the arcade since that's all it is, junk.
Solitaire........ $10
Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3................... $10
Soul Caliber......................... $10 (what happened to classic games being $5?)

I wouldn't be surprised if they have the nerve to charge $10 for the new UNO game.
So how do you guys feel about being ripped off like this? The problem is people accept that these games should be priced like this when they should not be: $5 is a fair price to charge for your 10-minutes-of-fun game. Why stop at an even number? Why not try charge $6? Or $5.50? It's bad enough that they charge us just to play online but ontop of that I have to throw down $10 to play a new version of Pac-Man? What?

#2 Posted by JamesF (1489 posts) -

They will charge $10 for the new Uno game. When the first one came out I'm pretty sure it was $10 too...

And Soul Caliber is one of the best looking and fullest arcade games out there (minus online)

#3 Posted by Wolverine (4282 posts) -

In the video it said that Uno Dash was 400 points.

#4 Posted by Felix (145 posts) -

I think Galaga was 400, but that was awhile ago.

#5 Posted by banksrob (1126 posts) -

if it is good enough i would buy it simple, no matter what the points needed

#6 Edited by BulletHoles (24 posts) -

The nice thing is that when a decent game does come out, I have no problem paying $10 for it. Though it was nice with things like Geometry Wars were $5.

Can't wait til Braid!

#7 Posted by MrBojangles (137 posts) -

eh, what are you going to do, that's business. money money money money. MONEY! that's how the song goes anyway....

#8 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

What can you do?  Either you purchase them or you don't.  Apparently, they are doing quite well with them or they would have scratched the entire concept of the arcade.  As they say, "If you build it, they will come."--which applies to a certain extent. :D

#9 Posted by Player1 (3891 posts) -

I agree. The classics that cost 5 bucks are ok. But still I only get around 10-20 minutes of fun out of each game. So i enjoy paying 5 bucks for that. Sonic was good and it was only 5. Thats the last one I can think of

#10 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

Because all the games that were worth 5 bucks are out

XBLA has covered all the basis except MKII

#11 Posted by Pikachu (449 posts) -

it would be nice to see sonic 3 added to xbl and be only 400 points

#12 Posted by Kevin (369 posts) -

Damn you economy! DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!11

#13 Posted by UrbanGuerilla (103 posts) -

It really does suck, but they obviously found out that people would be happy to pay $10 for games. If you don't like it vote with your wallet

#14 Posted by RebelLoyalist (208 posts) -

I dont mind playing 400 points for an arcade game, its not like they're asking for 60 dollars for them.

#15 Posted by Jolly_Lolly (3537 posts) -

only Geo Wars was worth the $10.....maybe TMNT 1989, MAYBE.

#16 Posted by UrbanGuerilla (103 posts) -
RebelLoyalist said:
"I dont mind playing 400 points for an arcade game, its not like they're asking for 60 dollars for them."
My feeling is that by paying $50 dollars more for a retail game you get way better value for money and replayability. You also have the option of selling it.
#17 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Well if you think about it, they threw out all the good classic games from the get-go. I think the crappy games should be reduced in price permanently; Feeding Frenzy, Billiards, etc. Nobody plays those games and they aren't worth the price. Now all they have for release is a set of forgettable classics that not one person could care about (e.g. Centipede).

#18 Posted by Subway (971 posts) -

Geometry wars was by far the best 5$ game, it would have been worth 10$ easily. It's crazy what the charge for some games, 15$ for bankshot billiards, 15$ for that penny arcade game, like damn.

#19 Posted by khit (150 posts) -

Agreed, I only own like 5 arcade games, I was going to buy Soul Calibur if it was 400 but I already have soul calibur II and that only Cost 9.99. Why does a 15 year old digital game cost more than a 5 year old physical copy of a game? They are totally gouging us and some people are happy to pay it. 20$ For that stupid penney arcade game? No thanks!

#20 Posted by Vager (1654 posts) -

I bought Street of Rage 2 last week for 400. At least the XNA games can be cheaper.

#21 Posted by sdodd02 (722 posts) -

most of the stuff isn't worth it, the only one I will buy later may be banjo and the new uno.

#22 Posted by L (1680 posts) -

Hmm. Well, usually retro games are 400 but we've not seen many of those recently. The best one in my opinion is Root Beer Tapper.

#23 Posted by Christo (9 posts) -

I agree with the fact most of the games aren’t even worth the money you’re paying, I think the only reason why they keep the prices for games so high is that they know there are people who are willing to pay the price for an old classic because it’s hard and expensive to find some of these games today. But the games that are being bought/developed/ported could be beefed out more for the price you’re forced to pay or at least bundle the games that would make it much more worth it, they should take Steam as an example. Besides, points dont feel like real currency :D

#24 Posted by Djrocks (93 posts) -

I could had sworn if the game was just a old port then it would be 400 if it's a new update of it or just a new I.P. then it would be 800

#25 Posted by Txheat (133 posts) -

I got alot of the good 400 point games before this happen i am happy. Anyone want to play Contra with me!

#26 Posted by DARKIDO07 (876 posts) -

I want Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Twooie to be 400 MS points but they will most likely be 1,200 MS points because they are large games.

#27 Posted by Biggie (43 posts) -

I think MS should do what Valve does on Steam and offer a massive deal on one game every weekend.  There are a lot of 800 point games, that I would willingly pay 400 points for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.