The Future of Achievements?

#1 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I have been thinking lately, as a lot of us have, what the next iteration of Microsoft console will be and what it will bring that is new and fresh. Of course they will be sticking with achievements, probably the biggest thing since sliced banana on a Belgium waffle. I'm interested to see what you guys think will be implemented, changed, and transferred.

My prediction is that Microsoft will continue your profile into the next generation. As we all saw from the change to 360, we could recover our gamertags and thus keep our friends and build upon the community of Xbox Live further. Achievements are such a hit these days, even Sony is making it a rule to include them (otherwise known as Trophies).

Which brings me up to speed on my thought process. Will they cater to users who have higher gamerscore completion? A larger gamerscore in general? Reward you with "emblems" (e.g. Gamespot) for your accomplishments? What's cooler than checking out a gamertag and instantly knowing, "Hey that user has 75%+ gamerscore completion, has played 150+ games, and has played for 100 days continuously. He also plays more shooters than anything else and is a top scorer on the Contra leaderboards."

Overall I just want to see more involvement in the achievement process. As a completionist I choose to 100% a lot of games, despite how agonizing it can sometimes be. Games with no community, or just generally difficult multiplayer achievements often have people like us "boosting" the achievements. As a large part of the Xbox community, there should be universal leaderboards involving gamerscore and such.

I am looking forward to see what Microsoft has in-store.

#2 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Man, It'd be funny as hell if MS just dropped achievements. Oooooh man I'd laugh so damn hard.

But yeah, I think it'd be cool if they put some kind of emblems system in.

#3 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Oh yeah, forgot to say that I'd like to see some Achievement-Avatar integration in the future.

#4 Posted by Blindfutur3 (4 posts) -

I'd just like there to be a higher purpose for achieving than there is now, as they're currently there for bragging rights and nothing more. It'd be nice to have some sort of competition to them, with the winner receiving Microsoft points, or themes/gamepictures, i.e First to 1000 on COD: Modern Warfare 2

#5 Posted by macandcheese (223 posts) -

I realy liked the idea of avatar upgrades from getting achievements/gamerscore, I just dont like that  you cant see what people have gotton on games, there should also be  bonuses for getting perfect 1000 points on games.
Also I want more/better games using the avatars
Oh and the idea of spending gamerscore sounded cool even in they would never do it.

#6 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

isn't embalms like trophies then? MS should keep making Sony catch up to them and not the other way around.

#7 Posted by macandcheese (223 posts) -
StaticFalconar said:
"isn't embalms like trophies then? MS should keep making Sony catch up to them and not the other way around."
No its not really the same, trophys are just like Gamerscore, the idea of these would be clothes or item for your avatar to personalize it.
#8 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I deleted my Xbox LIVE account when I knew I wouldn't e getting a 360 for a while, bought one a few weeks back and began the amazing journey into gamerscores. I really don't know why I'm fretting now about balancing my trophy count and gamerscore. What have I become?

#9 Posted by VitaminWaterYum (381 posts) -

Some sort of correlation between achievements and avatars would be incredible. Being able to get the armor from Gears for getting Seriously 2.0 or 1000/1000 or something like that would be awesome. I remember reading somewhere being able to unlock a guitar or something by completing some GH:WH achievement.

#10 Posted by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

I think you have a good idea with the "badges"...basically take 360voice.com's idea and integrate it into the service itself (Streaks, completion, etc)

#11 Posted by ManMadeGod (1559 posts) -

They need to take what the site "live eye" did (which is tracked how much time users spend on games/dashboard and so on) and put that on the system. I want to know how many hours of  Madden I played last week, last month, and over the entire course of the console.
It's a shame the site went down :(

#12 Posted by Rowr (5539 posts) -

I dunno, im happy for them not to make it to complicated.

#13 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

I wouldn't have said it before, but Vinchezo made me realize some of the differences that can result from the next-generation of consoles and achievements. It should be very interesting to see how this all pans out, and I am excited for the future.

#14 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

I agree with your prediction, Vinchenzo, I think Microsoft will carry over the achievements to the next generation. Perhaps, though, they will separate achievements into "360 achievements" and "(Next Xbox) Achievements" and show your overall achievement score.

#15 Posted by bwooduhs (1616 posts) -

I think Microsoft have to carry over old profiles otherwise there would be a huge backlash.

#16 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
GrilledCheez01 said:
"I think you have a good idea with the "badges"...basically take 360voice.com's idea and integrate it into the service itself (Streaks, completion, etc)"
As you noticed, that is where most of my examples came from.

Rowr said:
"I dunno, im happy for them not to make it to complicated.

"
It doesn't have to be complicated, it just sounds that way. In practice, it should be a smooth transition. A player unlocks an achievement and receives tie-in Avatar clothing or an emblem because he achieved something bigger such as my aforementioned example of 75% completion. For the Achievement Junkies out there, we want something that adds to the experience.

RHCPfan24 said:
"I wouldn't have said it before, but Vinchezo made me realize some of the differences that can result from the next-generation of consoles and achievements. It should be very interesting to see how this all pans out, and I am excited for the future."
A lot of possibilities and I'm surprised Microsoft didn't progress faster. Acheivements, to me, aren't just replayability and collection. I buy some games just for the achievements. Yea, it's weird, but it sells games.

brukaoru said:
"I agree with your prediction, Vinchenzo, I think Microsoft will carry over the achievements to the next generation. Perhaps, though, they will separate achievements into "360 achievements" and "(Next Xbox) Achievements" and show your overall achievement score.
"
I want to assume if they split the achievements into "New" and "Old" it would look unnecessarily messy. I don't think it would be a bad choice to keep achievements consistent across their next gaming platform. What I mean by this is no differentiation, just the 1,000 gamerscore per game. In the future I'd like to see more advanced achievement pictures, though. Thinking about it an animated achievement picture would look so badass.

bwooduhs said:
"I think Microsoft have to carry over old profiles otherwise there would be a huge backlash."
I think it's obvious, as par my prediction, they'll carry it over. They did it with the Xbox to Xbox 360 transition, and no reason not to keep it going. With such a player base, it would be fundamentally wrong for them not to retain consistency.
#17 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -

I don't see how they have a choice.  I can't see myself starting over from 0 points.  I worked my ass off getting over 50,000 and there is no way I'm starting over, especially if I know even THAT score will eventually be irrelevant in the same way.

#18 Posted by mandeponium (275 posts) -

Bananas on a Belgian waffle? That sounds really good right now.

#19 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

In terms of achievements, I'd hope that we don't have to wait until the next iteration of the Xbox for some updated achievement features. One I want and see as an inevitability is actually being rewarded with something after reaching some set amount of gamerscore or something. I can see them rewarding people with Avatar clothing, things like Master chief helmets and chainsaws seem likely, I wouldn't mind receiving a small amount of Microsoft points as a reward but I see it as very unlikely. 

#20 Posted by Lieutenant (347 posts) -
TheGTAvaccine said:
"Man, It'd be funny as hell if MS just dropped achievements. Oooooh man I'd laugh so damn hard. "
That would be like dropping online play. These achievements/trophies are just as engraved into what players expect in their games.
#21 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I think as long as there is Xbox Live there will be achievements which will basically stay the same. Like others have said, if the points tied in with maybe avatar clothing items, that would be cool.

#22 Posted by CreamyGoodness (1086 posts) -

i think maybe a rank for gamer score. and for every time you rank up you receive some form of downloadable stuff. i also would enjoy some emblems or indictation in your gamercard. say like a rank insignia

#23 Posted by Shadow (4979 posts) -

I personally like the idea PSN is doing with trophy levels, where you level up as you get more and more trophies.  Getting that level higher is the one thing that makes me want to keep getting trophies.

#24 Posted by Kazona (3065 posts) -

I really doubt this will happen, but I would like to see something akin to the Club Nintendo points. You know, if you hit X amount of points you can get some cool swag. Or you can choose to skip the swag and go for the next points award instead.

#25 Edited by Shadow (4979 posts) -

let achievements unlock avatar stuff.  That part at least, Jeff got right.  Don't turn it into money that you spend (I don't want to spend my points), but have certain things, features, or whatever get unlocked once you reach certain numbers of points.  Or have each 1000 points give you one gamer buck and spend the gamer bucks.  It all goes back to the fact that I don't want to spend my hard earned points.

#26 Edited by Demo (263 posts) -

I couldn't care less for achievements.

Such a pointless thing, but most people like them so I think they will keep them with a profile transaction.

#27 Posted by Tordah (2478 posts) -

This is some silly wishful thinking but wouldn't it be awesome if a certain amount of GS points equalled a smaller amount of Microsoft points? For instance, 1000 GS points = 100 Microsoft points. By playing games and completing more achievements you could buy more games! Yeah, I know it's impossible...but one can dream. >_>

Financially it would be a disaster for Microsoft and every other game developer selling their games on XBLA and I'm sure people would find a way to exploit the system somehow. Not to mention that people already play horrible games just because they have easy points, which I find kinda sad. This would only further encourage such behaviour.

#28 Posted by Palantas (109 posts) -

At the very least, your Gamerscore will carry over to the next console.  People will be pissed if it doesn't.

ManMadeGod said:

"They need to take what the site "live eye" did (which is tracked how much time users spend on games/dashboard and so on) and put that on the system. I want to know how many hours of  Madden I played last week, last month, and over the entire course of the console.
I agree.  I've been saying this for a long time.  I want something like with Xfire, where I can check my time spent in each game.
#29 Posted by thisisjosh (5 posts) -
Rowr said:
"I dunno, im happy for them not to make it to complicated.

"

yeah, same here. the original post would be really cool for hardcore and the super intense, but i work alot and play as often as i can but not enough to always get 1000's or even close to that. i play for fun - beat the game - and usually move on without too much gamerscore, and i already have friends that think they're so rad because their GS's are up there that i think a system like that would alienate new-comers and kids who can't do headshots in air on halo three.   OR maybe it doesn't matter and who cares OR they could filter and find players that they think you would match well with <-- that might be a neat idea.
#30 Posted by DoctorTran (1556 posts) -

The future of Achievements?

Hand Jobs.

#31 Posted by Conflict (76 posts) -

Get more PC developers on board, one game every few months is not enough.

#32 Posted by Video_Tycoon (313 posts) -

I think MS should drop the whole thing, games are meant to be played for fun, not bragging rights.  >_>;;

RIP: Fun

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.