Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

The Next X-Box Controller

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By archer88

So I was listening to one of the more recent Bombcasts the other day, and the crew were talking about how the 360 controller might change with the next generation of the console. Given that they have already laid the groundwork for a companion touchscreen with Smartglass, I wouldn't be surprised if they incorporated this into their next controller. This was more or less said on the bombcast, but concerns were raised over how changing such a popular controller might affect the fan-base. I think there is an obvious solution.

Use the space that you would normally put a chat pad, and fill it with a small (phone sized?) touch screen. It could even act as a chat pad still since most people are fairly comfortable typing on a touch screen these days. Thoughts?

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By archer88

So I was listening to one of the more recent Bombcasts the other day, and the crew were talking about how the 360 controller might change with the next generation of the console. Given that they have already laid the groundwork for a companion touchscreen with Smartglass, I wouldn't be surprised if they incorporated this into their next controller. This was more or less said on the bombcast, but concerns were raised over how changing such a popular controller might affect the fan-base. I think there is an obvious solution.

Use the space that you would normally put a chat pad, and fill it with a small (phone sized?) touch screen. It could even act as a chat pad still since most people are fairly comfortable typing on a touch screen these days. Thoughts?

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By bigsmoke77

My thoughts on your idea?  

No shit.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By EVO

So long as they fix the dpad I'm happy.

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Linkin10362

Not all of this is confirmed. Hell, all of it is rumors as of now, but it's interesting to read nonetheless.

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2012/12/next-xbox-detailed-in-massive-tell-all-coming-nov-2013

"Other rumors touch on the controller—it could feature a touch screen, programmable buttons, or changes even more extreme—plus cloud and always-on gaming, a radically different interface, and a new Microsoft that's friendlier to developers."

sandmanarenas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By sandmanarenas

I guess the smartglass thing might have a big weight in the next xbox console, hope I'm mistaken

deithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deithe

Hmmm i like the idea of touchscreen on the new controller, I just hope they don't change the design much, the controller is one of the main reasons I've got an Xbox over a PS3 :)

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By toowalrus

I'm severely disinterested in touch screen or second screen controllers. If one of you could explain to me "what is the fucking point" or "how can this make games better," I'd love to hear it.

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY
    the next xbox controller
    the next xbox controller
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By l4wd0g

I like the 360 controller as is. They should really make the next console a tablet that can play the next gen games on your TV, but also $.99 games on the go. The whole idea of a living room experience for consoles is an antiquated idea.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By UlquioKani

They need to find a way to make more buttons fit on that controller. There needs to be less time spent in menus across all games. I liked Jeff's idea of having a genesis style 3 buttons on the face. Make that fucking Xbox guide button smaller and make room for a couple more buttons in the middle and an N64 style handle in the middle with more buttons. I don't need another screen. Perhaps the controller could flip open like a DS. Then you could have a second screen and retain a lot of buttons.

Also, the option to use a keyboard as well as a controller would also be awesome.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By DoctorWelch

@EVO said:

So long as they fix the dpad I'm happy.

The D-Pad has been fixed for a while now.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By nintendoeats

NO. Touch screens on controllers no intended to be used as gameplay screens will always be a terrible idea until we also develop cheap technology that lets us give those buttons texture.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.