Thinking of buying an Xbox 360...

#1 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

So, the Xbox 360...slim? has been announced and I am thinking of buying it but I already own a gaming PC, PS3 and Nintendo DS so what games do you think I would should be looking forward to if I got an Xbox 360? 

And no, I have no interest in Natal. (Refusing to call it that ridiculous name.)

#2 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" So, the Xbox 360...slim? has been announced and I am thinking of buying it but I already own a gaming PC, PS3 and Nintendo DS so what games do you think I would should be looking forward to if I got an Xbox 360?   And no, I have no interest in Natal. (Refusing to call it that ridiculous name.) "
Just curious why "Kinect" is any more ridiculous than "Natal"?
#3 Posted by Yummylee (21637 posts) -

Go for it.

#4 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@JokerSmilez said:
" @NekuSakuraba said:
" So, the Xbox 360...slim? has been announced and I am thinking of buying it but I already own a gaming PC, PS3 and Nintendo DS so what games do you think I would should be looking forward to if I got an Xbox 360?   And no, I have no interest in Natal. (Refusing to call it that ridiculous name.) "
Just curious why "Kinect" is any more ridiculous than "Natal"? "
I just don't like the name Kinect, I though Project Natal sounded better is all.
#5 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I'm also thinking of buying a xbox360 before, I own exactly what you own. However if what I own isn't enough to meet the needs of my gaming, I might have to get a xbox360. I like to play GeoW 2 and other games that's not on the pc.  

I don't care about forza, I will rent halo 3, I don't care about alan wake at all. Maybe I shouldn't get it yet.

#6 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Do it,my man.Seriously.Do it.

#7 Posted by pweidman (2334 posts) -

Perfect timing to go for it.  Games: Gears 1/2, Halo series, Forza2/3, Alan Wake, L4Ds(some are pc I know), and XBLA madness, too many.....and mainly for XBL.

#8 Posted by Hourai (2795 posts) -

I'd suggest it if the exclusives interest you. 

#9 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

I dunno, if you already own the other two home systems and a good PC. There's not a great need to get a 360, unless you really want to play Gears and Halo. 

EDIT: Scratch that, I read what you said again -- do you not have a Wii? I'd say get that over a 360 at this point.

#10 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" I dunno, if you already own the other two home systems and a good PC. There's not a great need to get a 360, unless you really want to play Gears and Halo.  EDIT: Scratch that, I read what you said again -- do you not have a Wii? I'd say get that over a 360 at this point. "
I used to have it but there is a reason I sold it.
#11 Posted by ptc (619 posts) -

Get it for Gears, Banjo N&B and Alan Wake.  Also good exclusives on XBLA and the Indie Games.  Lots and lots of fun stuff to check out there. 
#12 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Anything else? I cant really justify getting it for 3 or 4 games even if they are great.

#13 Posted by spiceninja (3062 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
  And no, I have no interest in Natal. (Refusing to call it that ridiculous name.) "
Just stop. Your going to eventually call it Kinect. Everyone does. There isn't a person on the planet still calling the Wii a Revolution.
#14 Posted by Bigandtasty (3203 posts) -
#15 Posted by spiceninja (3062 posts) -

And to answer your question, there is awesome stuff on the XBLA

Shadow Complex
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 1 and 2
Peggel
Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
Trials HD
Assault Heroes 1 and 2
Doom 1 and 2
Uno

Then there is stuff like Comic Jumper and the new Castlevania to look forward to.

#16 Posted by TwistedGamer (106 posts) -

im doing the same, i have a ps3(with like 40+ games) and gaming PC & a DSi XL 
my old xbox Red ringed in 2008 and i never got another one, i hope this new slim is more sturdy

but yeah, i ordered it this week, should be here next week. i got Dead Rising again(one of my fav games ever) Allen Wake, & Ace Combat 6.

#17 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

You people have yet to convince me. D: 

There must be more games, tell me more!

#18 Posted by Andorski (5309 posts) -

Having a PS3 and PC pretty much covers most games that you would get on the 360.  All that's left that I can think of are the Halo, Gears, and Forza franchises with a few other exclusives like Alan Wake.

My suggestion: Only get a 360 if you have plenty of friends that you can play online with.  The 360 is great because of its focus on social play.

#19 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@Andorski said:
" Having a PS3 and PC pretty much covers most games that you would get on the 360.  All that's left that I can think of are the Halo, Gears, and Forza franchises with a few other exclusives like Alan Wake.  My suggestion: Only get a 360 if you have plenty of friends that you can play online with.  The 360 is great because of its focus on social play. "
This pretty much sums it up. If you got some friends with a 360 that you'd like to play online with go for it, it's a lot of fun and parties make playing with friends way easier than on a ps3.
#20 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@Bigandtasty said:
"  JRPGs: Lost Odyssey (good if you want to see what an old-school RPG would look like today), Tales of Vesperia (just a good Tales game)
Shooters: Halo and Gears (depends on personal preference)
Other stuff: Alan Wake, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Fable II, Forza 3
Downloadable games: Shadow Complex, ' Splosion Man, Castle Crashers (PSN version still isn't out, is it?) "
I second all of those. 

I don't know if these are already posted but I'll just list whatever i can think of That I had a lot of fun with, exclusives only: 
  • Viva Pinata
  • Forza 3
  • Bayonetta (not exclusive but may as well be)
  • Gears 1 and 2
  • Ninja Gaiden 2
  • Crackdown
  • Fable 2
  • Halo 3
  • Mass Effect 1 and 2
  • Project Gotham Racing 3 and 4

I can't remember all of them, but there's a few plus the ones mentioned above. There's some good stuff. Also, I know some of those are on PC, like Mass Effect, but whatever.
#22 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

Thanks guys for the help. ^__^

In case you are wondering I have decided to not get an Xbox 360.

#23 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -

This has been on my mind for a while and can't stop thinking about it. 

I need more help! :D

#24 Posted by Arbie (1449 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: i thought you decided not to go ahead with getting one? What is making you want one? Shouldn't that be the reason you get it and not the reasons why we have one?
#25 Posted by s10129107 (1183 posts) -

i find xbl just works better than psn

#26 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
"

This has been on my mind for a while and can't stop thinking about it. 

I need more help! :D

"
Are you planning on using for the online multiplayer? If not, then the 360 is probably not for you. Although, there are plenty of great single-player games like Mass Effect, Alan Wake, and Lost Odyssey.
#27 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@Erzs said:
" @NekuSakuraba: i thought you decided not to go ahead with getting one? What is making you want one? Shouldn't that be the reason you get it and not the reasons why we have one? "
There are a few exclusives that are really appealing to me but I don't follow the Xbox that much so I wouldn't know many exclusives on it.
#28 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: I know it's a little lamesauce, but try going to metacritic and looking up what the top rated 360 games are, ones that are least rated 60+.  Fish out all the ones you KNOW aren't on PS3 and quickly flip through the reviews to see what a game is about and then if it seems interesting, write it's name down.  Do this until you've got a nice list going.  If you have less than five or six games on there, pass on a 360. 

Otherwise, if you have a pretty big list, go back through and really read some high-end and low-end reviews for each game that interested you.  If they don't seem like something you want to play then cross it off the list.  

When you're done, you'll have a good idea of whether getting a 360 will be worth it to you or not.  I've also found watching video reviews and reading the review right after helps in information gathering.  Seeing some of the game being played helps you come up with a more realistic expectation in your mind when deciding if it's worth it or not.  Plus you can then find prices for each game you're interested in and develop a budget.
#29 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7241 posts) -
@mordecaix7: Wow dude, great advice! Thanks! ^__^
#30 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: No problem.  A game system is a huge purchase that should not be taken lightly.  Seeing as you have a PS3 and a good PC, unless you have a bunch of friends with 360's, I don't see a 360 in the cards for you since many of the best games on 360 end up on the PC as well.  Having a good PC I think tips the scales in favor of not buying a 360.  The only things you're really missing out on are Halo, Gears, Forza and XBL Arcade (some games; many end up multiplatform).  Those are the only true exclusives that come to my mind.
#31 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: Nah, not worth it. Unless you really want to play Halo and Gears of War, your PC will be fine for games.
#32 Posted by afrofools (1347 posts) -

I grew up with Playsation and wish I had one instead of an Xbox. But on the plus side my skinny hands don't get cramps on the xbox360 controller. One thing I must mention is that paying to play games online is bullshit, the online gaming is something that should be a reason to make you buy a game and they shouldn't charge a fee on that. The only game I play online is BF and that uses EA's own crappy servers (and I still need to pay MS to play it online). Another thing that shits me about online is that you have to pay just to get access to basic community features (like gifting a car to a friend in Forza). Any novelty features that come with the ownership of Xbox Live Gold are exclusive to Americans so hopefully you live there, though that stuff should also be free.

Now I know Playstation Plus was just announced, but you can still play your games online for free and if you are enticed to pay then you get given a game to-keep each month in recognition of you paying for the service which at the end of the year is considerably cheaper than if they didn't give it to you (Since they don't sell old/under-performing games extremely cheap like on Steam).  

If you already own those other platforms I wouldn't recommend getting an xbox360, even if you are rich, because it will just be a waste of space in whatever room you game in.

#33 Posted by Stache (67 posts) -

I don't find the name "Kinect" that ridiculous. It makes sense. They did about as well as they could with it I guess. Certainly more creative than Move or Wii for god sakes. You'd actually have to say it's the best of the three names actually. As of if you should get a 360. If you want one, get it, Xbox has some great games just like PS3.

#34 Posted by Stache (67 posts) -

I don't find the name "Kinect" that ridiculous. It makes sense. They did about as well as they could with it I guess. Certainly more creative than Move or Wii. You'd actually have to say it's the best of the three names actually. As of if you should get a 360. If you want one, get it, Xbox has some great games just like PS3.

#35 Posted by rdav1109 (120 posts) -

You're going to want Gears of War and Gears of War 2, Halo 3 and Halo 3 ODST, Forza 3, Splinter Cell Conviction, and Mass Effect 2 in terms of exclusives. In terms of multi-plat games, go for Call of Duty games, RED DEAD REDEMPTION (AMAZING GAME), Grand Theft Auto, etc

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.