Thoughts on Fall Live Update

#1 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -

What does everyone think of the Live update that will be coming this fall that we saw at E3?

I personally just think its a very light version of Home mixed with Nintendo's Mii's and i think its kind of pointless. I mean i cant really get excited about it even though i want to.

#2 Edited by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I think the dashboard looks efficient, but the avatars are silly.  I'm most excited about being able to install any game onto my hard drive.

#3 Posted by DrVanNostren (154 posts) -

I don't like the new dashboard or the avatars, so I'm really disappointed with everything except Netflix support. That's awesome.

#4 Posted by Hangid (104 posts) -

Despite the avatars, the new dashboard is the best video game console user interface I've ever seen.

#5 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

I think it's pretty...     EXTREME!

#6 Posted by Absinthetic (172 posts) -

it looks too empty and sterile

#7 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

Regardless of the fact that this is thread #4 on this exact topic, I am looking forward to the update, the dashboard and guide look sleek and apparently we don't have to use the avatars.

#8 Posted by Aviar (435 posts) -

I'm interested in the Netflix portion since I have a Netflix account. 

The avatar's are just going to be there way to may some extra coin.  I'm guessing that the amount of avatar customization will be limited, so they can release additional hairstyles, clothes, and whatever else they want to release to charge us for.

As far as the changes to the actual blades themselves, I can't really say anything about this until I actually see it to make a sound judgement either for it or against it.

#9 Posted by Warfare (1634 posts) -
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"I think the dashboard looks efficient, but the avatars are silly.  I'm most excited with being able to install any game onto my hard drive.
"
Buy game install game go back  trade in for new game. ; )
#10 Edited by Manks (836 posts) -

I love all the new features, especially the new guide and it's functionality.  The only things I'm not for are the avatars (they seem like Miis, and that's a reason why I kinda don't like my Wii) and I don't see the use for Primetime.

Best about is so far IMO:

Save games to hard drive
Launch demos,trials, XBLA games, etc. from the guide
New guide looks amazing (like the current dashboard)
Netfilx is pretty cool
Cleaner and more organized interface
8 player chat and party support

I think they are gonna announce a few more things about the update when its release gets closer.  "Crosses fingers for deleting games on Games List"

#11 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1735 posts) -

I'm not a fan at the moment, but we'll see.

#12 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -
Warfare said:
"DOUBLESHOCK said:
"I think the dashboard looks efficient, but the avatars are silly.  I'm most excited with being able to install any game onto my hard drive.
"
"
You need to have the game in your disc tray to prove ownership of the game, but it will not run off the disc, so it will be very quiet :)
#13 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
Thunder said:
"I personally just think its a very light version of Home mixed with Nintendo's Mii's and i think its kind of pointless. I mean i cant really get excited about it even though i want to.
"

I agree, and that makes me sad. :P

But yeah they over did it, they shoulda stuck with the blades but improved upon that design... instead they give us a floating tile menu, everything looks the same.

And avatars are just pathetic, shame on MS.
#14 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

The Netflix merger in conjunction with the eight-way private chat is enough to have me looming with anticipation for the update and I think the new interface looks more user-friendly and it's quite sleek, in my humble opinion. :D

#15 Posted by Hulk (428 posts) -

Hulk been craving the rumored features for a long time, but Hulk not so thrilled with the interface change and the new Wii knock off avatars.

#16 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
MsCortana said:
"The Netflix merger in conjunction with the eight-way private chat is enough to have me looming with anticipation for the update and I think the new interface looks more user-friendly and it's quite sleek, in my humble opinion. :D"

For some reason im not digging the Netflix shit, why don't they integrate netflix into the already there marketplace? Why have two services.. And stuff streams? I don't like that either.. also heard you have to pay for it but I hope thats not true.

And yeah 8 way chat is awesome, the one thing that I like about PSN was that it had 6 way video/voice chat, I always wondered why XBL didn't have it. Was a pain in the ass jumping from chat room to chat room lmao.
#17 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
Hulk said:
"Hulk been craving the rumored features for a long time, but Hulk not so thrilled with the interface change and the new Wii knock off avatars."
I agree. I hate the way the new dashboard looks.
#18 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -
Warfare said:
"DOUBLESHOCK said:
"
"
As someone said before you need the game in the disc tray to prove ownership, but it will still run of the hard drive.  So faster load times and much quieter.  =)
#19 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

I like the new dashboard, but what the f*** is up with the avatars? Not even my own mother likes them.

#20 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

yeah you will still need to have the disc to prove ownership. Can't wait to play oblivion and other rpgs with the quicker load times. Rpgs will benefit most i think.

#21 Posted by EkajArmstro (386 posts) -

The guide looks way better and faster which is a plus. The current guide is WAY too slow for me. Even if the new dashboard isn't that great, it's hard for me to tell, the new guide looks like it will be almost able to do anything.

#22 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -
Gorillawhat said:
"Regardless of the fact that this is thread #4 on this exact topic, I am looking forward to the update, the dashboard and guide look sleek and apparently we don't have to use the avatars.
"

im sorry this is thread #4 i searched and nothing came up maybe i spelled something wrong

The Dashboard does look sleeker and faster but the avatar things look almost exactly like the Wii's and i think it kills it
#23 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -
Sentry said:

And yeah 8 way chat is awesome,
"
I think so and the ability to continue your chat even if all parties are playing different games is just awesome.  For someone like myself that is in a party of six or eight more often than not, this feature will reduce all the mindless banter in lobbies and that is indeed  a great thing...lol!
#24 Edited by Hulk (428 posts) -

Hulk just ecstatic that eight way chat will cut down on all the chat invites that Hulk always end up ignoring.

#25 Posted by puissance000 (20 posts) -

i didn't see any ads in it ( unless i missed it ) therefore i'm happy!

#26 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -
MsCortana said:
"Sentry said:

And yeah 8 way chat is awesome,
"
I think so and the ability to continue your chat even if all parties are playing different games is just awesome.  For someone like myself that is in a party of six or eight more often than not, this feature will reduce all the mindless banter in lobbies and that is indeed  a great thing...lol!
"
Yea Multi-Chat will be amazing
#27 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"I think the dashboard looks efficient, but the avatars are silly.  I'm most excited about being able to install any game onto my hard drive.
"
Me too. I find that the best thing about it.
#28 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

I can't wait.

I get really happy when new UI comes out... for anything. :|

#29 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -
Gorillawhat said:
"Regardless of the fact that this is thread #4 on this exact topic, I am looking forward to the update, the dashboard and guide look sleek and apparently we don't have to use the avatars.
"

Haha yeah i know people don't really search do they :P

It should be a good update, I like the new interface, the avatars are abit stupid but what can you do :P.

Also guys dont forget that you can use the old blade interface if you would rather do so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.