Transfer data from one harddrive to another

#1 Edited by Bobstar (305 posts) -

So I just got a new 120 GB to replace my old 20 GB one, and I'm kind of confused on how to exactly transfer all of my savefiles and other stuff to the new harddrive. Do you really need to buy that stupid transfer kit, or can I just use a regular USB for that?

As for regular games, I can just re-download them on the new HDD right?

#2 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

You can just redownload shit and transfer your saves with a USB as far as I know. The transfer kit doesn't even transfer everything for some reason.

#3 Posted by KontX (115 posts) -

You can do what is said above, but the transfer kit is just the quickest way. I could've sworn my transfer cable brought everything over though.

#4 Posted by Bobstar (305 posts) -

@KontX said:

You can do what is said above, but the transfer kit is just the quickest way. I could've sworn my transfer cable brought everything over though.

Why is the transfer kit the easiest way? Is the procedure different when using a USB?

#5 Posted by KontX (115 posts) -

@Bobstar said:

@KontX said:

You can do what is said above, but the transfer kit is just the quickest way. I could've sworn my transfer cable brought everything over though.

Why is the transfer kit the easiest way? Is the procedure different when using a USB?

I personally have never used the USB method so I can't vouch for that. WIth the transfer cable you just connect the old hard drive to the Xbox with the new hard drive attached, insert the transfer disk that came with it and hit start. Only takes about 2 minutes. Then you're all set!

#6 Edited by louiedog (2331 posts) -

I transfered my 60 GB to my 250 GB with 3 or 4 trips using a 16 GB USB drive. The downside to doing it this way is that your licenses don't transfer. That means your GT has to be signed in to play your content. It wasn't a problem for me because it's rare that anyone plays anything of mine on that 360 who isn't playing it with me. If your situation is different you'll want to use the transfer cable or do the license transfer on xbox.com and redownload your XBLA/DLC/GoD stuff onto the new HDD. If you only have a 20 GB HDD right now the latter may not be a problem.

#7 Posted by Bobstar (305 posts) -

Oh, well I kinda don't wanna pay for the transfer kit. so I'll just use the USB. Thanks a bunch for the answers and

#8 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

@KontX said:

You can do what is said above, but the transfer kit is just the quickest way. I could've sworn my transfer cable brought everything over though.

It brings over every category of data, it just happened to leave out some DLC when I did it.

#9 Posted by Bobstar (305 posts) -

@louiedog said:

I transfered my 60 GB to my 250 GB with 3 or 4 trips using a 16 GB USB drive. The downside to doing it this way is that your licenses don't transfer. That means your GT has to be signed in to play your content. It wasn't a problem for me because it's rare that anyone plays anything of mine on that 360 who isn't playing it with me. If your situation is different you'll want to use the transfer cable or do the license transfer on xbox.com and redownload your XBLA/DLC/GoD stuff onto the new HDD. If you only have a 20 GB HDD right now the latter may not be a problem.

Not a problem cause I'm the only one using the 360 so it's fine with me.

#10 Posted by brundlefly (70 posts) -

You can transfer the licenses pretty easily. There are pretty straight-forward instructions for doing so on the Xbox website.

#11 Posted by rein64 (5 posts) -

i have the same problem!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.