VGA Vs Component

#1 Posted by fruitisgood (22 posts) -

From what I hear this is a really complicated subject. Some TV's look better with VGA, some with Component. For all you non HDMI Xbox 360 owners, what looks better on your TV?

#2 Posted by MarksmanLink (10 posts) -

Sometimes i use component cable on my Samsung 40" LCD and other times i use VGA on a Samsung 20" widescreen monitor. It looks definitely better on the big one with component cable but maybe that will change when microsoft releases the next update and i can max out the resolution on my monitor (1680 x 1050)

#3 Posted by GiantBomber (350 posts) -

that's just stupid. VGA is easily better.

#4 Posted by Cleric (286 posts) -

I have both cables and i prefer the component (Samsung 20"). VGA is a little bit brighter, Component has better colours. It's all just a matter of how do you like your games to be.

#5 Posted by banksrob (1126 posts) -

I use VGA cable to plug my HD graphics card into the TV so I watch HD from my computer on my TV. Therefore personally I would  have to say that VGA cables are my preference over component cables.

#6 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

I use HDMI - that's the best of all.

#7 Posted by GameGod23 (10 posts) -

i would pick vga because the upscaling on dvds and the higher resolution.Hdmi is still the way to go though but i hate the fact that you have to buy the official cable to use optical.I stripped the plaatic off one of my component cables so i could use the optical input and the cable broke after a few months.

#9 Posted by Shawn (3825 posts) -
twenty0ne said:
"I use HDMI - that's the best of all.
"
I get sound laugh while using HDMI.

I stick to component.
#10 Posted by CB (116 posts) -

I'd think VGA would be better since you can set your resolution to your hdtv's native res.

#11 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -

i use my computer monitor for gaming which is 26" and VGA is the way to go.
VGA has a better signal even though its analogue like component

#12 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -

I use VGA.

#13 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

VGA can output in 1080p while component can only output in 1080i.

#14 Posted by Rowr (5523 posts) -

vga.

I get a higher resolution than 720p (1300 * 780 or something)

It makes alot of difference to anti -aliasing and detail i have found.

Though you will get better blacks with component.

#15 Edited by Giolon (18 posts) -

Component can and will output in 1080p.  However, some TV's will only accept up to 1080i over component.

I use component @ 1080p on my 40" Sony (40V4100).

#16 Edited by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

When im in the house, i use 720p component. It looks nice.
1080 is just upscale, or so i heard

#17 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I just use component, it looks great.

#18 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

I use component i think, its awesome

#19 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

The colors sure look awesome and more vibrant on component.
Even if your on the lowest resolution

#20 Posted by upside27 (14 posts) -

I use HDMI but, I would choose vga over component. Im a resolution freak. any pixelation makes me go crazy lol

#21 Edited by Kenzo287 (722 posts) -

well im using a box that takes component inputs and has a vga output so what am i using?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.