Well ive been off live since the price increase im not missing it

• 62 results
#1 Posted by PHARAOH (128 posts) -

The increase in live prices was the straw that broke the camels back. PSN and PC are  free and the act of playing online is pretty good. And dedicated servers are awesome! I was part of the large group of people that packed the forums at major nelson.com to show our outrage at the price increases when psn is giving more and more features. (Yeah i know its down now)  So this increase made me turn back to the PC.  I  was a hardcore pc gamer back a few years ago of halflife,counter strike, unreal,quake,doom wolfeinstein and all that. My Pc got old and i didnt want to upgrade so i changed to consoles.  

Well just my luck at the time of the increase newegg had a blow out sale and doing the math i could make a gaming pc for about 500 bucks so i did. It ran all my games at max settings and man do they look good. I had forgotten about how good pc games could look compared to consoles. So im enjoying being back to pc gaming and loving it. I havent checked the forums back at major nelson if people just accept the increase now. But i know on his show after the increase he laughed about people tearing him a new one on the forums and it wasnt his fault. Hes right about that but he announced it lol.
So i was wondering is anyone else holding out or just left the service because that was the last straw like for me? And bad company 2 PC kicks ass cant wait untill BF3 launches this fall.
#2 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

See who gives a fuck.

#3 Posted by CABBAGES (522 posts) -

I'm sure this year it was alot cheaper??
Been on live for 5 years or something and this was the cheapest year yet so I don't know what you mean ?

#4 Edited by PHARAOH (128 posts) -

Then i guess you didnt notice the  increase in prices. Yeah man live went up maybe you have auto renew on but yeah its higher now.

#5 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@HandsomeDead:
People who have to worry about money.

If my parents paid for it I wouldn't give a fuck, but they don't so I would be in the list of giving a fuck.

#6 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@Anwar: That infinite loop is also known as my life.
#7 Posted by Vexed (313 posts) -

You should never pay full price for Live.  12 month cards are constantly on sale.  Amazon has them for $44 right now.

#8 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

The price increase sucked, but I've yet to ever pay full retail for a year of XBL. Amazon and other online retailers have sales on the 12 month cards all the time, and the last time I tried to cancel auto-renew on my account I got another year for 35.99 with two free months.

#9 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I've been on since the increase and haven't noticed the difference.

#10 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2450 posts) -

Price still hasn't changed in Canada! :D

#11 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -
@PHARAOH:

You could just wait and look for 1 year cards on discount so the price hike doesn't affect you at all....I'm only on the 360 to play Gears with friends I know. That and Street Fighter. If they went PC though I'd chuck it out the window in a heartbeat.

And yeah the "OUTRAGE ON THE MAJOR NELSON FORUMS" makes you seem like a tool in retrospect doesn't it? With PSN showing how great it really is.
#12 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

I extended my Live subscription for another year straight from Xbox Live for $44.99. Even Xbox Live has promotions that prevent you from having to pay the full price.

#13 Posted by dagas (2791 posts) -

I've been on and off gold depending on what deals I have found and if there are any games I want to play. I rarely play online. There was a period after the launch of Halo Reach where I played a lot, but besides that I play maybe a couple of hours a month online. I still have several months left on the 40% off deal MS had when Reach came out. Not sure If I'll continue after that.

#14 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

I never pay full price for live. I got a 12 month card for 30$ back in january

#15 Posted by pantzing_nome (583 posts) -

I was playing to stay off live for a while when my subscription ran out earlier this year but when Microsoft offered 20% off live and free game I went back on xbox live, it seems that If you wait a deal will come up.

#16 Posted by SamFo (1528 posts) -

how much did it go up by?

#17 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -
@SamFo said:
" how much did it go up by? "
A whole 10 dollars.

From 50 a year to 60 a year.
#18 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

the real idiot is the one who pays full price for XBL, really who does that?

#19 Posted by KyleBaron (160 posts) -

I keep my 360 around because of Shadow Complex, Toy Soldiers, XBLA being awesome, Banjo Nuts and Bolts (that TNT was awesome), and because of the shit-ton of Rock Band songs I have on there.

Other than that, the thing collects dust while I use the bejesus out of my PC and PS3.

It's depressing going back on to my 360, despite all of its boons that I just mentioned.
"I want to buy this rock band song. Wuh? I need to pay 7.25 to buy 500 funny money points so I can download a $5 song pack? Aaaauugh!"
"Cool, people are still playing game 'x'? Fk, I have to pay Microsoft to use the online feature in this peer-to-peer hosted game." *sigh*
"Why the hell are there ads everywhere? I don't care about burger king or wal-mart, just tell me what new releases are up for download. Augh!"
"Man, I hope this thing doesn't red ring. Again. It's either me worrying about that, or repurchasing the less-likely-to-explode-in-flames version of the system I currently own."

Also, I'm Canadian and the price has always been the same.

@HandsomeDead: Daria is the shit. Check this out:
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m249/T3hBaron/ModNationRacers.jpg
#20 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I never pay full price for Live, it's on sale so often. I think there's only one period of time I was off Live, and that was because there wasn't anything I wanted to play online when my subscription ran out.

#21 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Funny. The price has increased to $60, but the last 2 years, I haven't paid more than $40 for it. WINNING!

#22 Posted by cartvader (142 posts) -

I don't get why $10 over the course of a year is such a big deal.  For the time you spent searching/building your PC you could have searched for discounted xbox live cards.  All in all when it comes down to it, i'd rather take some time to search for cards for an online system that works.

#23 Posted by ProfessorEss (7308 posts) -

I haven't paid full price for Live since the first year.

#24 Edited by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Yeah, it never went up in Canada.
But regardless if you're unable to make 60 dollars a year for some reason, buy 12 month cards, which are on sale all the time.

Nobody cares by the way.
#25 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -
It went up 10 bucks a year or something didn't it? Pretty dumb reason to not use your 360 for live anymore. Either way I'm pretty sure no one gives a shit.
#26 Posted by Twisted_Scot (1175 posts) -
@Vexed said:
" You should never pay full price for Live.  12 month cards are constantly on sale.  Amazon has them for $44 right now. "
This. Never bought a full price Live card in 4 or so years. Why do people always have to go on forums and tell everyone how they stopped paying for Xbox Live?  While i understand people don't like paying more for something why does it always come down to XBL vs PSN? Ones a bare bones free service while the other costs money and has lots more options. $60 a year isn't that much for this type of service, how much do you pay a month to run your iphones? I don't hear people whining on here about how unfair it is they have to spend $100s a year to play World of Warcraft. Its a choice, if you choose to no longer pay for the service for whatever reason, thats awesome, but everyone else doesn't need an update.
#27 Edited by phish09 (1109 posts) -

I don't know anyone who paid over $40 for this last year of Live service.  If you did, you got duped.    I enjoy the hell out of it, but I guess that's because most of my friends who are gamers spend most of their time on Live...If it weren't for the fact that my friends are on there I'd probably consider cancelling the service too...maybe not though.  I thoroughly enjoy Halo Multiplayer and since I buy all my multiplatform games on 360 I end up playing a good deal of multiplayer on there.  It would be just as easy to switch over to the PS3, but why?  It's $40 a year and sometimes you even get an incentive thrown in as well.  I guess it's not for everyone, but I find I get my moneys worth no problem.

Also this:

@Twisted_Scot said:

Its a choice, if you choose to no longer pay for the service for whatever reason, thats awesome, but everyone else doesn't need an update. "

#28 Posted by ProfessorEss (7308 posts) -
@phish09 said:
It's $40 a year and sometimes you even get some incentive thrown in as well.
A lot of months I totally recoup my losses with one or more "Deal of the Week" purchases.
Just one 800 marked down to 400 sale is the cost of that month's Live.
#29 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -
@ProfessorEss: True enough.  Not to mention the plethora of great games on XBLA like Monday Night Combat, Battlefield 1943, Castle Crashers, Outland, Hydro Tunder Hurricaine, Full House Poker and on and on that are even much more fun if you have XBL.
#30 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

PSN only cost you your personal information.

#31 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -
HEY IT'S THE POOR KID! LET'S ALL POINT AND LAUGH AT THE POOR KID!
#32 Posted by cartvader (142 posts) -
@foggel said:
" PSN only cost you your personal information. "
THIS!!!!
Personal info and possibly your future credit score.
#33 Posted by lavaman77 (567 posts) -
@slightconfuse said:
" I never pay full price for live. I got a 12 month card for 30$ back in january "
This, i don't know why people use auto-renew when you can get cards cheaper at some places.
#34 Edited by PHARAOH (128 posts) -

Im not poor i just find it insulting thats all. Psn has added more and more features over the years the only thing it doesnt have that live has now is crossgame chat .    And mircosoft said they raised price because of facebook and espn two services that are worthless on xbox and work better on pc. So Im getting charged extra for crap i never plan on using . And i been on live since the day it launched  on xbox 1 microsoft just got too gready  so its pc for me. Making me pay to access my own bandwith was a silly idea to start out with.  Live should have some basic multiplayer function. Steam does just great without charging  thats why  games for windows was an epic fail on pc.

#35 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

It seems most ppl on here don't have any problem getting it cheaper and neither have I.  Not to mention the cost is hardly expensive, hell take back your pop cans once a month and it pays for live lol.

#36 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Got enough government cheese with that whine?

#37 Edited by PHARAOH (128 posts) -
@TeflonBilly:  No just far better online and far better looking games on pc and at cheaper prices. My pc now destroys my 360 now anyway so yeah not missing it. When its clear a company is just trying to screw you dont coat your ass with Ky and ask for more please. Look at the stupid prices for cod map packs its never going to stop its just giong to be worse next gen. I refuse to pay on principle  thats it.  
Oh yeah the 6 broken 360, the constant having to redownload my content after I get a new console, and having my games and content still not work offline has used up alot of my good will for microsoft. Their lucky i didnt take it outside  like old yeller and shoot it along time ago.(The younger people wont get that reference) 
#38 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I just pay yearly so I can forget it costs money until October.

Has been working out so far.
#39 Edited by Ocean_H (290 posts) -

Price has increased, but also noticed how much the amount of ads has also increased big time in the Dashboard. There's soo much now that you have to go through a lot of them just to reach another section. Btw, I didn't renewed my Gold membership either.

#40 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -
#41 Posted by Beaudacious (927 posts) -

So instead of spending 60$ or more likely 40$ like everyone else, you spent 500$ on a pc? Btw dedicated servers on the pc are paid by people, its not free, your just leeching off others to play your free games. Also unless you plan on playing mmo's fewer and fewer games are coming out on the pc, the gaming pc i bougth this year is probably the last gaming pc I'll ever buy again. There's absolutely no more benefit to pc gaming even in the graphical departement, as games on the pc simply have higher textures and no none is taking advantage of the true horsepower present in todays gaming pc's. You're basically buying 400$ graphics cards to have higher textures, and if you play on a tv that argument is mute.

R.I.P Pc gaming I'll never forget the days of quake 3, diablo 2, and 1942.

#42 Posted by rentfn (1279 posts) -

It's a bummer the live service went up but I don't understand how you saved money by spending $500 on PC upgrades instead of spending 10 bucks a year extra. You could have been on live for 50 years...

#43 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -
@yoshimitz707 said:
" Price still hasn't changed in Canada! :D "
Yay for Canada! :D
#44 Posted by TooWalrus (13152 posts) -

I can't believe how many people loose their shit over two bucks a month. How many of you dudes spend that money on cigarettes every single day?

#45 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -
@PHARAOH said:
"too gready   "
#46 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

@TooWalrus: 

2 bucks a month?!?! IMMA LOSE MA SHIT

#47 Posted by cyraxible (686 posts) -
@TooWalrus: Well for a service that is offered for free everywhere else any increase seems kind of ludicrous.
#48 Posted by DeusDonutDuff (20 posts) -

Everything seems to be going up, sacrifices for what we want have to be made.
#49 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

What will this same conversation be like when the next round of consoles comes out? If console sales outmatch PC sales even with the significant graphical differences what makes you think that PC games won't just completely die out and PSN will start charging for online gaming?

#50 Posted by Mahonay (828 posts) -

Call me lazy but I just let it renew every year regardless.  I don't like having to worry about it.  I do most of my gaming over Xbox Live, I'm certainly getting my money's worth at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.