What determine's whether a game get's a GOTY Edition or not?

#1 Posted by buttpork89 (16 posts) -

Hi all,

I'm just wondering about this because there are several games coming out this year (Sleeping Dogs, maybe Hitman Absolution) that i'd rather buy when the GOTY edition is released. Thanks.

#2 Posted by Jay_Ray (1078 posts) -

Money, if the publisher can make money from a re-release then it will happen. Also to get a GOTY edition a game has to win one GOTY award even if it is the Tibetan Gaming Blog.

#3 Posted by pantzing_nome (583 posts) -

It also needs at least one piece of DLC.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14761 posts) -

@buttpork89: I don't think either of those games have extensive DLC plans outside of the pre-order nonsense bonus stuff. If your going to buy it might as well get it on launch day.

#5 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

It's just a way to make more money, yet I always end up trading in the original and buying the GOTY edition, even if I have all of the DLC.
I'm a complete sucker.

#6 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Jay_Ray said:

Money, if the publisher can make money from a re-release then it will happen. Also to get a GOTY edition a game has to win one GOTY award even if it is the Tibetan Gaming Blog.

Is that even true? I don't know that every GOTY Edition actually has received the award. I think it's pure marketing in some occasions.

#7 Posted by Demmetje (201 posts) -

I think having one single one of those awards is enough, can't think of any exceptions.

#8 Posted by Jay_Ray (1078 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@Jay_Ray said:

Is that even true? I don't know that every GOTY Edition actually has received the award. I think it's pure marketing in some occasions.

I am pretty sure it has to win an award somewhere since it could be treated as false advertising otherwise. But it is mostly a marketing thing thing since GameBomb.ru could give a GOTY award and still count.

#9 Posted by buttpork89 (16 posts) -

I might be wrong but it just seems that the majority of games which tend to get a GOTY edition are critically successful and/or heavily marketed. So I'm just wondering what the chances are that the smaller titles i've mentioned above would also get one.

#10 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Hizang said:

It's just a way to make more money, yet I always end up trading in the original and buying the GOTY edition, even if I have all of the DLC. I'm a complete sucker.

I do not understand some people and that is quite okay with me. I'll just consider you the Higgs Boson.

#11 Posted by iAmJohn (6117 posts) -

@buttpork89 said:

I might be wrong but it just seems that the majority of games which tend to get a GOTY edition are critically successful and/or heavily marketed. So I'm just wondering what the chances are that the smaller titles i've mentioned above would also get one.

Your question assumes that:

1. Both Sleeping Dogs and Hitman Absolution are going to be expanded on enough with DLC or whatever to be rereleased as a bundle with it.
  2. Both Sleeping Dogs and Hitman Absolution will sell enough to justify repackaging them with said content.
#12 Posted by alternate (2696 posts) -

I don't think legally it has to win an award - just be someone game of the year.

"Neverdead was my Game of the Year" Lead programmers mum.

#13 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

Publisher

/thread

#14 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

VGA Award.

#15 Posted by buttpork89 (16 posts) -

@iAmJohn said:

@buttpork89 said:

Your question assumes that:

1. Both Sleeping Dogs and Hitman Absolution are going to be expanded on enough with DLC or whatever to be rereleased as a bundle with it.
  2. Both Sleeping Dogs and Hitman Absolution will sell enough to justify repackaging them with said content.

I'm fairly unfamiliar with this, but I know that Sleeping Dogs has several preorder bonuses. Not sure whether that counts towards the extra content or not. :/

#16 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Presumably to get GOTY somewhere.

#17 Posted by Zleunamme (655 posts) -

GOTY editions are the reason why don't buy new games upon release. It's been a matter of resisting impulse buys. Times are lean and I can't afford to be spending $60 on every game that I like. Then spending more money on DLC. I better off waiting a couple months or year for the game to go on sale. To answer your question, the publisher makes that decision. Jeff explained it in one of his jar videos. The publisher is trying to keep the game on store shelves for a longer time. To promote awareness for the game if people missed it the first time around. Also double dipping, some people keep buying almost the same game multiple times.

#18 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

If a game is going to get a lot of DLC/pre-order content and you don't mind waiting, you shouldn't buy it on release. Particularly if you're a PC owner, give it a few months and you can at least pick it up when it's significantly discounted.

I like THQ's new model of giving those who pre-order a season pass/free DLC. It rewards those who buy the game early, rather than those who wait for sales.

#19 Posted by buttpork89 (16 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

If a game is going to get a lot of DLC/pre-order content and you don't mind waiting, you shouldn't buy it on release. Particularly if you're a PC owner, give it a few months and you can at least pick it up when it's significantly discounted.

I like THQ's new model of giving those who pre-order a season pass/free DLC. It rewards those who buy the game early, rather than those who wait for sales.

Yeah, i'm definitely one of those people. I only buy around 2 games on average per year so I don't mind waiting, but I just feel that if there is no GOTY edition out for this game (Sleeping Dogs) then i'll miss out on the preorder bonuses.

#20 Posted by Mixwizzard (83 posts) -

If the most obscure magazine gives it a GOTY then it can call a release "GOTY edition"

I believe this was the case with Dead Island.

#21 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

No clue.

I'd say ask Techland.

#22 Posted by bchampnd (108 posts) -

Money is what determines if a game gets a GOTY edition - Can they get another sales boost by slapping together a copy of the game with all the DLC. If they think they can, they'll do it. If they think they can't, they won't.

"Game of the Year" has become one of those marketing words/catch-phrases that adds value but doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's like when products are labelled "genuine" or "classic" or when food products are labelled "organic." You may think these words mean something, and in some (rare) cases they do, but they really are just a way to get you to pay more money since there's no regulation over the use of those words. Your "organic" fruits, vegetables and proteins can be sprayed with pesticides and enhanced by hormones or genetic modification just like any other food product. Just like your "Game of the Year" might not have won any awards.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.