What game to buy?

#1 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -

Hi everyone. I have $70 saved up on Gamestop store credit. I was going to sell some of my old books to get some more cash. I don't really know which game to buy between these:

Call of Duty 4
Rock Band
Eternal Sonata
Too Human(when released)

Which one should I get. Intentionally, I was saving up for Rock Band, but I don't know which one to get now. Any help is welcome.

#2 Posted by OblivionGuy07 (161 posts) -

I would get Call of Duty 4, assuming you have Xbox Live. It is my second favorite online game (next to Halo), and I've probably played it longer than Rock Band and Eternal Sonata combined. Plus, if I were you, I'd wait for the next Rock Band or Guitar Hero. Lots of people are still playing Call of Duty 4 online, plus the campaign is really good, despite its length.

#3 Posted by MAV3R1CK (125 posts) -

If you were going to get Rock Band, you should wait for Rock Band 2. Reason being is that Rock Band 2's drums are much better and the guitar is much better. RB 1's were light and it broke easily. Wait for Rock Band 2. Use the money to buy COD4, thats the best option from the list.

#4 Posted by zerok (180 posts) -

Shouldn't Eternal Sonata more or less be available as a budget title soon? It was released last October or something. Then you could get this and COD4.

#5 Posted by Schizoid (1064 posts) -

That's a hard choice. If you have a couple of people to play with, get Rock Band. If you don't, Call of Duty.

#6 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
OblivionGuy07 said:
"I would get Call of Duty 4, assuming you have Xbox Live. It is my second favorite online game (next to Halo), and I've probably played it longer than Rock Band and Eternal Sonata combined. Plus, if I were you, I'd wait for the next Rock Band or Guitar Hero. Lots of people are still playing Call of Duty 4 online, plus the campaign is really good, despite its length."
But if I get RB, then I could use their instruments for GH: World Tour and RB2.
#7 Posted by OblivionGuy07 (161 posts) -
LightYagami245 said:
"OblivionGuy07 said:
"I would get Call of Duty 4, assuming you have Xbox Live. It is my second favorite online game (next to Halo), and I've probably played it longer than Rock Band and Eternal Sonata combined. Plus, if I were you, I'd wait for the next Rock Band or Guitar Hero. Lots of people are still playing Call of Duty 4 online, plus the campaign is really good, despite its length."
But if I get RB, then I could use their instruments for GH: World Tour and RB2.
"
You could do that, but everything in the sequel is improved, so why not just wait? And you couldn't use the drums for GH: World Tour, since they are improving everything. And if you are planning on buying all of the instruments along with Rock Band, it will likely cost more than 70 bucks. That's just what I think though.
#8 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
OblivionGuy07 said:
"LightYagami245 said:
"OblivionGuy07 said:
"I would get Call of Duty 4, assuming you have Xbox Live. It is my second favorite online game (next to Halo), and I've probably played it longer than Rock Band and Eternal Sonata combined. Plus, if I were you, I'd wait for the next Rock Band or Guitar Hero. Lots of people are still playing Call of Duty 4 online, plus the campaign is really good, despite its length."
But if I get RB, then I could use their instruments for GH: World Tour and RB2.
"
You could do that, but everything in the sequel is improved, so why not just wait? And you couldn't use the drums for GH: World Tour, since they are improving everything. And if you are planning on buying all of the instruments along with Rock Band, it will likely cost more than 70 bucks. That's just what I think though.
"
I see what you mean though. I'll take your thought into consideration. Thanks guys for the help.
#9 Posted by legend_cloud (359 posts) -

I'd say either Call of Duty 4 or Rockband.

#10 Posted by OblivionGuy07 (161 posts) -
LightYagami245 said:
"OblivionGuy07 said:
"LightYagami245 said:
"OblivionGuy07 said:
"I would get Call of Duty 4, assuming you have Xbox Live. It is my second favorite online game (next to Halo), and I've probably played it longer than Rock Band and Eternal Sonata combined. Plus, if I were you, I'd wait for the next Rock Band or Guitar Hero. Lots of people are still playing Call of Duty 4 online, plus the campaign is really good, despite its length."
But if I get RB, then I could use their instruments for GH: World Tour and RB2.
"
You could do that, but everything in the sequel is improved, so why not just wait? And you couldn't use the drums for GH: World Tour, since they are improving everything. And if you are planning on buying all of the instruments along with Rock Band, it will likely cost more than 70 bucks. That's just what I think though.
"
I see what you mean though. I'll take your thought into consideration. Thanks guys for the help.
"
No problem... and don't feel bad picking one of the games on your list over the other, they are all good.
#11 Posted by Blu_Magic (2021 posts) -

Get Call of Duty 4. The multiplayer is alot of fun and the campaign isn't that bad either.

#12 Posted by Soulless (143 posts) -

No friends and XBL = COD4
Friends and no XBL = Rock Band

#13 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

Go for Sonata!

#14 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Soulless said:
"No friends and XBL = COD4
Friends and no XBL = Rock Band
"
I have friends and XBL, so which would you prefer?
#15 Edited by Soulless (143 posts) -
LightYagami245 said:
"Soulless said:
"No friends and XBL = COD4
Friends and no XBL = Rock Band
"
I have friends and XBL, so which would you prefer?
"
Hmm... COD4
Rock Band is great for a while, but it doesn't take long to get annoyed at your friend who keeps screwing up on the drums.  Your plastic instrument "band" is bound to break up quickly.

At least in COD4 you can go on and shoot up other people, since there is no online world tour in Rock Band.
#16 Posted by steve316 (102 posts) -

CoD4, good campign, great multiplayer, awsome as hell!

#17 Posted by Prototype (82 posts) -

I know I'm proballygoing to be the only one to say this but Too Human. Because i really like what they are doing with it and to me it really looks great!!

#18 Posted by Scorched (691 posts) -

CoD4 or Rock Band

#19 Posted by Logan_Aybara (70 posts) -

That's a tough call.  Rock Band is hands down the most fun I've had playing my 360, but as others have pointed out, RB2 is just around the corner with improved everything, so you should probably wait on that.  Eternal Sonata is a gorgeous game, and was a lot of fun to play, but it has little replay value (I did replay it, as you're forced to if you want all 1000 achievement points, and it wasn't much fun the second time through).

I'm not a fan of FPS', so I can't comment on CoD4.  As for Too Human, that's going to be my next 360 purchase.  I really enjoyed the demo, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the full game has to offer.  Good luck in your decision making!

#20 Posted by HakenGaken (20 posts) -

Rock Band, no question.  Though I will say that I really enjoyed the Too Human demo, and I suspect that game will have long legs.  That said, I've never seen a game that I've played longer, or had more fun sharing with my friends and family than Rock Band.  No harm in getting the first one, especially if you can find it used.  Everything will work with the sequel.

#21 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I would get Call of Duty 4, it is an awesome game. If you are going to get Rock Band wait for Rock Band 2 because the hardware is supposed to be better. Then I would just by the Rock Band 1 disc for more songs.

#22 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Get Call of Duty 4.  I have been playing that game since it was released and I have yet to be bored with it

#23 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Rock Band, that's the only game I never traded in. Not only because you can't trade in drums, but because DLC is amazing and adds a lot of replayability. Although I might recommend going for the 2nd one since it's coming soon.

#24 Posted by MikeHundreds (10 posts) -

Call of Duty 4. No question

#25 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

Eternal Sonata is a great JRPG if you are into that genre of game.  But if you like American RPG's more then Too Human is the way to go.

#26 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

Eternal Sonata is a great JRPG if you are into that genre of game.  But if you like American RPG's more then Too Human is the way to go.

#27 Posted by MrMiyagi (929 posts) -

Call of Duty 4 is a solid choice... actually so is Eternal Sonata.

Hmm... I say go with Too Human actually.

#29 Posted by x3ar (236 posts) -

cod 4 deffinetly

#30 Posted by Quint (127 posts) -

COD 4 or get Lost Odyssey instead of Eternal Sonata, it's far superior imo.

#31 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Thomas said:
"Eternal Sonata is a great JRPG if you are into that genre of game.  But if you like American RPG's more then Too Human is the way to go.
"
I'm into both genres.Quint said:
"COD 4 or get Lost Odyssey instead of Eternal Sonata, it's far superior imo.
"
I already have Lost Odyssey.
#32 Posted by METALM1LITIA91 (259 posts) -

COD4 is one of the best on 360 so its a must buy

#33 Posted by LuffyUzumaki (453 posts) -

no competion cod4, the game has crack in it

#34 Posted by tancred8120 (93 posts) -

CoD4 is a must. Especially if you have Xbox Live

#35 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -
Quint said:
"COD 4 or get Lost Odyssey instead of Eternal Sonata, it's far superior imo.
"
Yeah Lost Odyssey! I forgot about that game for a second. lol
#36 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Soul Caliber looks tasty imo

#37 Posted by shadowjak (456 posts) -

*steps back from TOo Human fanboyness*

Get COD4. One of, it not the best single player campaign out there. I played it non-stop from begining to end. The servers are still full so online is worth it and fun.

Eternal Sonata.. Don't get. If you want an RPG get TOO Human or Lost Odyssey.

#38 Posted by GiantBomber (350 posts) -

COD 4 MAN! What are you thinking?? Untill Too Human comes out who knows how good it really is.

COD4 is a game you HAVE to have anyway.

#39 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

Get the edition with all the free maps if you can.

#40 Posted by ColMustard (357 posts) -

You should buy Too Human new... and buy CoD4 used.  The too human demo was great.  I actually needed to play it twice to kinda figure out what the strategy for action was and its very rewarding when you figure it all out. 

Great choice though, not an easy descision.  I want eternal sonata too, it never drops in price....

#41 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"Get the edition with all the free maps if you can.
"
I was thinking on that one.ColMustard said:
"You should buy Too Human new... and buy CoD4 used.  The too human demo was great.  I actually needed to play it twice to kinda figure out what the strategy for action was and its very rewarding when you figure it all out. 

Great choice though, not an easy descision.  I want eternal sonata too, it never drops in price....
"
Thanks. I decided to get COD4 GOTY new(that's the only ones Gamestop has) and Assassin's Creed used(it's $22).

I was thinking ES, but like ColMustard said, it never drops in price. Then there was the Orange Box, but that's too much too. Too Human looks interesting(the demo was), but it's going to be $60, and I only have $70 in store credit.
#42 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

CoD4 and RB for sure, or wait for RB2 in a few months.

#43 Posted by ZimpanX (420 posts) -

If you like to play online then defintely get COD4.

#44 Posted by l1qu1d (8 posts) -

dude you should totally get too human or rock band. if you can find the money, definitely get both. rock band is going to be more expensive than what it seems though, because there's some awesome dlc out there.

either way, hope you enjoy whatever you choose.

#45 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

Rock band worth the most out of the bunch just to let you know.

#46 Posted by Thunder (390 posts) -

Get CoD4 it still has a strong community plus the campaign and multiplayer are great

#47 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Thunder said:
"Get CoD4 it still has a strong community plus the campaign and multiplayer are great"
I'm definitely getting COD4 and AC this Wednesday, but thanks everyone for your suggestions.
#48 Posted by Ehden (214 posts) -

COD4 if you have xbox live gold, Rock band if not.

#49 Posted by magnificentbastard (42 posts) -

I'd definitely get Call of Duty 4, it has a great campaign and fantastic online play

#50 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Ehden said:
"COD4 if you have xbox live gold, Rock band if not.
"
Thanks, but why RB if no live gold? I thought it was like COD4 in terms of activity on Live.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.