What has been Microsoft's best/worst decision so far?

• 53 results
#1 Posted by FusionJones (13 posts) -

Personally, I'm split between two for the worst move:  Making Live Gold a paid membership, and shipping the console with hardware issues (RROD)

For the best move, although this may be controversial to some of you, I would say it's the New Xbox Experience.  I think the Avatars actually look pretty cool, and the new dashboard redesign is slick.

What do you guys think Microsoft's worst and best moves has been this generation?
#2 Posted by TLT21 (80 posts) -

Worst: dl dvd instead of HD dvd

Best: copy full games to hard drives

#3 Posted by Vlademir (1029 posts) -

Best: Deciding to put away money to repair Xboxes free of charge
Worst: Shipping the console maybe a little early before all the hardware kinks were fixed.

#4 Posted by donfonzie (206 posts) -

Best : Hardcore games.

Worst : The Rrod, and a digital pad that is just useless for fighting games.

#5 Posted by DarkArmada (132 posts) -

They're best decision has been their huge investment in 3rd party games (or quite possibly their 3-yr warranty on RRoD) - worst would have to be the alienation of their core demographic...

#6 Posted by mako468 (25 posts) -

best: gamercards, guide
worst: avitars(we'll see)

#7 Posted by Lairdo (543 posts) -

#8 Posted by Sidle (2 posts) -

Worst: Releasing with shoddy hardware.

Best: NOT including HD-DVD or Blu-ray.

#9 Posted by FusionJones (13 posts) -
Sidle said:
"

Worst: Releasing with shoddy hardware.

Best: NOT including HD-DVD or Blu-ray.

"
How is releasing without Blu-ray a good thing?  The format has succeeded so why not have the next generation video format?  Plus the console has the Video Marketplace and Netflix as alternatives.  Although, one could argue that these features wouldn't have been as fleshed out by Microsoft if Blu-Ray was built in, but still...
#10 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Best: Xbox Live.
Worst: Thinking XBL needs a casual side.

#11 Posted by coakroach (2491 posts) -

Best: Come out first
Worst: Tie between HD-DVD and not getting rid of RROD sooner

#12 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Best: Early release
Worst: RROD

#13 Posted by KnightOfNi (69 posts) -

Best: Extending the warrant for the RROD to 3 years
Worst: Shipping consoles that get the red rings in the fist place

#14 Posted by BeeDizz (30 posts) -

Best: Great games. Thats what consoles are supposed to be about right?

Worst: RROD and the refusal to admit the console had an issue until it was almost too late. I'm sure the delay in the admittance to the problem cost Microsoft alot of console sales.

#15 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

Not making HD standard for 360.

#16 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

Best: Adding HDMI ports to the system
Worst: New Dashboard

#17 Posted by shoota (13 posts) -

Best - Making development easy, this ensures that most multiplatform games look and run better on 360
Worst - Unreliable hardware

#18 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

Best: Building the 360 around online experience (LIVE)
Worst: Not including built in hardware, or having a next gen disk be built in to the console.

#19 Posted by Homer (1372 posts) -
 Best: Xbox live

Worst: RROD.
#20 Posted by Windshroud (28 posts) -

Best: Achievements.

Worst: Achievements.
#21 Edited by SSbabel (1141 posts) -

Best - Xbox live
Worst - charging for Xbox live

#22 Edited by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
FusionJones said:
"Sidle said:
"Worst: Releasing with shoddy hardware.

Best: NOT including HD-DVD or Blu-ray."

How is releasing without Blu-ray a good thing?  The format has succeeded so why not have the next generation video format?  Plus the console has the Video Marketplace and Netflix as alternatives.  Although, one could argue that these features wouldn't have been as fleshed out by Microsoft if Blu-Ray was built in, but still..."
I'm guessing he's saying that because including HD-DVD/Blu-Ray would have increased the cost of buying a 360.

The worst decision is definitely the issues with the hardware. The best decision... I'd say, getting all the third party developers and converting some exclusive-only games to their system.
#23 Posted by Irishjohn (581 posts) -

So far, ever? Or so far since the 360 came out? Microsoft have been charging for Xbox Live since it started.  So, technically they didn't make Gold a charge service, they introduced Silver as a free service.  However, I agree, paying for Xbox Live sucks. 

Worst move: Almost every hardware decision; too many issues from the start, leading to the red ring of death, no built-in wireless (!!!), too many SKUs to mention.

Best move: Building up the game library.  The Xbox 360 has the most top quality games out, of any system, and is still churning them out faster than the other two.
#24 Posted by ZimpanX (420 posts) -

Worst ones: Rushed the launch of the console, making a SKU without harddrive, not buying Bioware and Bizarre.

Best ones: Constanlty evolving the system trhough Xbox Live, Nailing exclusive deals with all kinds of games.

#25 Posted by Absinthetic (172 posts) -

somehow not seeing that investing in their owns studios will benefit them in the long run rather than using that money to buy exclusives

#26 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -

worst: rrod (costed them so much)
best: getting games and supporting their console

#27 Posted by SmugDarkLoser (4619 posts) -
Absinthetic said:
"somehow not seeing that investing in their owns studios will benefit them in the long run rather than using that money to buy exclusives"

they made like 3 new studios with the 360 launch, and expanded rare and lionhead greatly, especially the the former.
#28 Posted by xxNBxx (974 posts) -

Ahh i don't think RROD was a decision.  Its not like they sat around the office and said "hey guys lets make the system die with a cool red lights ring on the front of the console"   Another decision that was posted here was releasing good game... thats not a decision either thats just the companys making good games,  no one decides "Hey lets release a shitty game" no they all want to release good games.

My picks for best and worst are one in the same.  Releasing the console early.  On one hand it gave them the head start they needed on PS3 in the USA (note i said USA cause in japan it didn't matter they don't buy American goods.  The USA could come out with the greatest console ever and they wouldn't buy it just cause it wasn't made by Japanese)  On the other hand it rushed the dev team to make a console that had flaws that would in turn cause things like rrod.

#29 Edited by pause422 (6189 posts) -

Of course it wasn't a decision,but seeing as its been 3 years now since release and its still a amazing high percentage of failing, they obviously failed there big time. I'd say that and live costing money, is the fail, best is XBL .

#30 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1735 posts) -

Their worst decision was to shipping the hardware before it was finished. Runner-ups: Dvd instead of HD-DVD or Blu-ray, selling consoles without harddrives.

#31 Posted by BulletHoles (24 posts) -
FusionJones said:
"Personally, I'm split between two for the worst move:  Making Live Gold a paid membership, and shipping the console with hardware issues (RROD)
For the best move, although this may be controversial to some of you, I would say it's the New Xbox Experience.  I think the Avatars actually look pretty cool, and the new dashboard redesign is slick.

What do you guys think Microsoft's worst and best moves has been this generation?
"
Heeeeey guess what. There likely wouldn't be a New Xbox Experience if they didn't charge for gold.
#32 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Best: "The Duke"
Worst: Discontinuing "The Duke" in favor of the Controller S

#33 Posted by ElStevo (30 posts) -

The worst decision was to exclude the hard drive from the standard specifiction.

The best - Xbox Live.

#34 Posted by Connelo (131 posts) -
#35 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Best: Xbox Live
Worst: make a console without a required hard drive

#36 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

Best decision: The way they handled adding internet to a video game console.
Worst decision: HD DVD

#37 Posted by Pezjulo (224 posts) -

Probably believing that the Zune would be a tough competitor for the iPod.

#38 Posted by Solid_SnakeXx (1771 posts) -
TLT21 said:
"Worst: dl dvd instead of HD dvd
Best: copy full games to hard drives

"
Do you mean arcade games?
#39 Posted by Maklershed (21 posts) -

Best decision = achievements, xbox live, xbox live arcade

Worst decision = releasing the 360 console before it was ready to be released (RRoD)

#40 Posted by Scorched (691 posts) -

best: games
worst: releasing so early (red rings)

#41 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

Worst: paying the lowest bidder to builkd 360s

Best: Dunno yet

#42 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

best decision was early release and worst was core/arcade  HDD-less SKU

#43 Posted by clarke0 (1077 posts) -

Best: Designing Xbox Live well enough for it to be the dominant online platform.
Worst: Making users pay $50 for XBL and still having ADS ON THE DAMN DASHBOARD.

#44 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

best: in all reality their best move was axing the xbox early and bringing out the 360 first

worst: being cheap, i guess...

#45 Posted by Ket87 (441 posts) -

Best : Including a free three year warrant in case of RROD. Probably the most helpful thing Microsoft has ever done.

Worst : Nickel and Dime'ing every little thing in the Marketplace. There is no need for us to be paying $2 for Picture Packs and Themes that should be free in the first because we paid $50 to have that account we should at the very least be able to pimp it out free of additional fees.

#46 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -
Pezjulo said:
"Probably believing that the Zune would be a tough competitor for the iPod."
I think the zune is actually holding its own against the iPod.
anway

Worst: Releasing the console without fixing problems
Best: Achievements, and XBL
#47 Posted by Homer (1372 posts) -

Oh and you can't forget the whole bungie situation.

#48 Posted by BlackSuitAndTie9 (289 posts) -

I don't know what they're worst one was, but I think they've made a lot of great decisions and a few poor ones. Too tired to think of anything at the moment. :)

#49 Posted by DoctorTran (1563 posts) -

Worst : Not backing HD-DVD hard enough, MS Points, Shadowblade. Core/Arcade console.

Best: Xbox Live, XBLA, Copying discs to hard drive. Netflix Integration. Red Controllers.

#50 Posted by Cowman (669 posts) -
Demyx said:
"Pezjulo said:
"Probably believing that the Zune would be a tough competitor for the iPod."
I think the zune is actually holding its own against the iPod.
anway"
It's been making a dent in the MP3 market.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.