What is your opinion of Kinect?

#1 Posted by Cod100476 (2 posts) -

I think it's a rip off of the wii!

#2 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -

Seems like I've dropped into an alternate universe where the Playstation Move is Kinect and Kinect is Playstation Move.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18907 posts) -
@Cod100476 said:
" I think it's a rip off of the wii! "
A rip off of the Wii?  Fuck no.  You must be thinking about Move.
#4 Posted by Brians (1458 posts) -

I think I hate motion controls and will never not hate them.

#5 Posted by jorojoserojas (258 posts) -

If it weren't for Dance Central, I'd be completely uninterested. 

But I want Dance Central sooooo bad. 

#6 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

Only interested in for the same reason I was for the Wii...

which was 'for something fun to do with friends while drunk and/or high.'

#7 Posted by trevorallengreen@gmail.com (23 posts) -

when i went to the mall of america and went to the kinect tour tent they had set up i had alot of fun using it. whether or not i buy it at launch is another thing because October/November are busy months for gaming and its either get a few titles then or spend all my money on kinect. so it will probably have to wait a few months before i take the plunge.

#8 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1052 posts) -

Not interested in it at all and if someone gets good enough at it on expert and they are in a club I am in doing Dance Central moves me and my friends are beating their a** out of principle. So I am sorry to those this happen to ahead of time.

#9 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

Fuck motion controls and the horse they rode in on. Practically the only reason I play Wii games is because Nintendo owns some of my most beloved franchises. There is only one example of a game I can think of where the Wii controls actually work better than a PS3 or 360 controller would.

But yeah, the Move is more of a Wii ripoff than Kinect. Kinect is trying to capitalize on the Wii market, but it's not exactly a direct ripoff. Still shit, though.

#10 Posted by Addfwyn (1917 posts) -

I'm more interested in the Move for gaming than the Kinect, the ability to actually have a controller/button is more useful to a wider variety of games I feel. 

I won't be buying either though til I actually see a game that makes it worthwhile.  I learned my lesson from the Wii.

#11 Posted by xyzygy (9892 posts) -

Software wise, I am beyond pumped. They announced wicked sounding games at TGS. But hardware wise, I don't know how they're gonna do it. So we'll have to wait and see and hope they don't ruin it.

#12 Posted by trevorallengreen@gmail.com (23 posts) -

the lot of people seem to forget even though microsoft says its controller less gaming with kinect nobody has ever outright denied that a controller cannot be used with the hardware in the future.

#13 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

If they were able to implement it into games I'd actually want to play in an appropriate, slick way, I would be all over it. But since all I've seen are party games and things like Dance Central (which I'm not at all interested in), I'm not really that pumped. However, I do find the tech behind it pretty damn cool and I hope it can evolve into something even more than what it is right now.

#14 Posted by CitizenKane (10502 posts) -

I don't care for motion controls.

#15 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

Massive failure is what I think.

#16 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

its balls

#17 Posted by Nasar7 (2604 posts) -
@jorojoserojas said:
" If it weren't for Dance Central, I'd be completely uninterested. 

But I want Dance Central sooooo bad.  "
This, except I only kinda want to mess around with DC.
#18 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

I think it only will work in certain games or aspects in games, and the xbox 360 dashboard.

#19 Posted by xyzygy (9892 posts) -
@trevorallengreen@gmail.com said:

" the lot of people seem to forget even though microsoft says its controller less gaming with kinect nobody has ever outright denied that a controller cannot be used with the hardware in the future. "

That's what I was thinking at the start. I mean I remember when they unveiled it, weren't they mentioning how you can use it with some racing game? 

Actually I just found an article where Kudo Tsunoda says it's completely possible. 

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/08/tsunoda-describes-kinects-object-scanning-controller-wielding/     

And this article is from last week. So there's some good news.
#20 Posted by ptc (615 posts) -

I want it for Dance Central.  I'm also interested in whatever Kinect functionality they eventually implement for Fable III.
#21 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

Waiting for the Shaky Thing revolution to go back to adult shops.

#22 Posted by phantomzxro (1565 posts) -

I think it is cool but game wise I don't see myself using it also it is a bit on the pricey side.
#23 Posted by Callik (138 posts) -

PS Move is Wiimote HD
Kinect is Eyetoy HD

#24 Posted by LiquidPrince (15842 posts) -

Dance Central. That is all.

#25 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

It won't connect with anyone. If ppl wants gimmicks and motion control, they would of bought a wii already so this product appeals to no one especially hardcore gamers.

#26 Posted by wrecks (2210 posts) -

Interesting tech that I will probably use a couple times at random parties. If I had kids, maybe a purchase.

#27 Posted by afrofools (1313 posts) -
@Cod100476:  

This thing makes kids games fun, so adult games (guns, blades & blood) are just going to be awesome. 

Both Kinect & Move are great. The expanded gameplay possibilities are fantastic. 

Many things are easier with a controller, like menus, but there are so many things that were not possible before that-the controller cannot do. A few months after the launch of this device you will know what I mean.
#28 Posted by Alcamin (151 posts) -

I may be going against the grain here, but I'm actually really interested to see what Kinect has to offer. I can't help but feel that the majority of people that say they don't care about it have simply looked at the launch line up and dismissed it out of hand, without actually thinking about what the hardware has to offer. I'm not hear to defend those first games because, lets face, they aren't exactly the most inspiring things ever coded. I mean,  Kinect Joy Ride? Seriously? Instead, I would like to point you towards Dance Central, not whether you want to play it or not, but what it is suppose to be able to do. I'm talking about hardware not the game itself. Think about it like this: if Kinect is able to map and register your movements as accurately as they say it can then that is hugely impressive, which surely opens up the doors to all sorts of new interesting possibilities.  Now, I'm not a game designer, so I'm not even going to try to brainstorm ideas here, but there are a lot of really smart people out there and I'm sure there will be some interesting projects in the works within a year or two. Perhaps whole new genres of games will come out of it. Who knows? There's no reason why Kinect has to just slot into all the old genres. In fact, I sincerely hope it doesn't because it will fail like that simply because people will feel more comfortable using what they know. For Kinect to be success it needs to used in new. smart ways.

I will admit that this is based more on hope than anything else as I have no way of knowing if anything good will come of it, just in the same way that the sceptics have no way of knowing that it will definitely suck. Until it gets into more peoples hands it's really impossible say. All I can be sure of is that I have seen a few glimmers of hope, and that is enough to excite me and get my imagination going. I'm also glad that Microsoft are actually taking a risk with this. I don't praise them often (usually quite the oppersite) but it would have been so easy to look at Nintendo and look at Sony and just played follow the leader, but they didn't. They wanted to do something different and I respect them for that choice. It took some balls because they are going into the unknown. At least Sony have the comfort of knowing that there brand of motion control works, but Microsoft have no such luxury. It's going to be an interesting year for both Sony and Microsoft and as a gamer who is looking for more innovation from the industry I wish them both the best of luck.

#29 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Meh, is it really that fun?
I want games, not motioncrap, I do enough motion crap in bed anyway.

#30 Posted by rybrad (143 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Meh, is it really that fun? I want games, not motioncrap, I do enough motion crap in bed anyway. "
This.  Games make or break whether it will be decent or not.  If I am going to look like an asshole when playing a game it had better be damn fun.
#31 Posted by Vorbis (2749 posts) -

It has potential, if we ever see that potential realised... well that's another thing entirely.

#32 Posted by shuref00t (110 posts) -

$150 is too much. I want to play Dance Central

#33 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

The only thing I think is that it's not a ripoff of the Wii. The Move is a ripoff of the Wii. And Kinect is more of a ripoff of Eye Toy. I can't wait for MS to ripoff the Move and try their own handheld motion controller. Maybe they'll get right what Move didn't.

#34 Posted by Yummylee (21249 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" Meh, is it really that fun? I want games, not motioncrap, I do enough motion crap in bed anyway. "
Oh you and your innuendos!... Or is this me and my twisted perspective? O_o
#35 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@Abyssfull: 
I aim to misbehave!
#36 Posted by adoggz (2042 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
ahh a space docking fan I see.

uh don't look up that .........
#37 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -
@adoggz: 
Get
The
Fuck
Out.

You sick duder!
#38 Posted by ESREVER (2669 posts) -

I think its really impressive technology, but has no practical uses for games that are appealing to me. I hope I'm wrong.

#39 Posted by TobyD81 (1227 posts) -

I think Dance Central is pretty cool, and I want to see more of the new Steel Battalion. The tech works, and when applied well it can lead to some good games. So will it?

#40 Edited by adoggz (2042 posts) -
@TaliciaDragonsong: what you don't find this stuff interesting?
  stupid video embed 
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-540792298873363030# 
#41 Posted by quirkwood (183 posts) -

Here's the deal with shit like Kinect and Move. They are amazing things conceptually however the actual application of the technology is seriously lacking as far as game play goes. In general the only things you get with motion control and augmented reality are gimmicks or serve to make the controls more complicated than they need to be. I would have enjoyed Twilight Princess on the Wii a lot more if I wasn't playing with the stupid Wiimote controls and don't get me started on MH3! (no classic controller for me T_T ). 

That said I am probably going to get me a Kinect jigger for my 360, just because I happen to like some of the gimmicks and it also gives me something to think about as a game design student.

#42 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

it is to early to tell... more information as this hardware develops...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.