Which Magic game to get?

#1 Posted by BleedingStarX (279 posts) -

Now I know NOTHING about Magic The Gathering I just LOVE CCG/TCG games. I've played the YuGiOh XBLA game to death and want something new. I've downloaded the first games trial and played a few games and I am getting the hang of the mechanics of the game.

Mainly getting it for singleplayer duels, so is there a reason to buy the Magic 2013 over the 1st or 2nd games? Do either of the game have currency to buy booster packs to improve the decks or do you just play with the starter deck?

#2 Posted by newt (92 posts) -

I only ever got the fist game; there were no boosters- no real deck customization at all. The later versions might have added some /minor/ customization, but WOTC will probably never give you a standalone single-player deckbuilder sandbox again (oh, how I loved the Microprose game). Anything like boosters or full deck customization would directly hit their massive profits from Magic Online.

#3 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

@BleedingStarX: Get Magic The Gathering.

#4 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

2013 is pretty good, it has more modes n shit.

As you win matches you unlock new cards for the deck you used in the duel. 30 cards per deck.

#5 Posted by SharkEthic (1037 posts) -

2013 is free ("rookie" difficulty only though) on the iPad, which is a perfect device to play that type of game on. So grab that if you have an iPad! Either way, get 2013 - there's just a lot more content.

#6 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

@newt said:

I only ever got the fist game; there were no boosters- no real deck customization at all. The later versions might have added some /minor/ customization, but WOTC will probably never give you a standalone single-player deckbuilder sandbox again (oh, how I loved the Microprose game). Anything like boosters or full deck customization would directly hit their massive profits from Magic Online.

no real deck customization in the latest version either. there is some minor customization, picking to add a few unlocked cards but thats about it.

#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@SharkEthic

2013 is free ("rookie" difficulty only though) on the iPad, which is a perfect device to play that type of game on. So grab that if you have an iPad! Either way, get 2013 - there's just a lot more content.

Is it iPad only? Or does that include iPhone as well?
#8 Posted by Fattony12000 (7252 posts) -

For the full experience: Magic: The Gathering Online

For the lite experience: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013

Magic.

#9 Posted by Village_Guy (2534 posts) -

I'm more partial to the Magic of Friendship myself...

And I don't anything about Magic The Gathering, but I would figure that the newest one probably is the one with most active people.

#10 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

David Copperfields Track and Field. Best magic game ever.

#11 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

@BleedingStarX said:

Now I know NOTHING about Magic The Gathering I just LOVE CCG/TCG games. I've played the YuGiOh XBLA game to death and want something new. I've downloaded the first games trial and played a few games and I am getting the hang of the mechanics of the game.

Mainly getting it for singleplayer duels, so is there a reason to buy the Magic 2013 over the 1st or 2nd games? Do either of the game have currency to buy booster packs to improve the decks or do you just play with the starter deck?

Get Magic 2013. They're annualizing the franchise in order to keep it current with the new decks being released in the physical world so staying current is your best option.

#12 Posted by SharkEthic (1037 posts) -

@CL60: iPad only. They need the bigger screen to pull it off as well as they do, I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.