Who is SERIOUSLY ticked of MS have dropped BC

• 76 results
#1 Posted by Oemenia (52 posts) -

MS have done a great job this gen, they have continued to deliver despite getting bashed left right and centre just about every step of the way. The same can be said with BC, the list grew steadily, and playing XBOX games on 360 was a dream, the amazing controller, the fantastic upscaling, the convenience of having it all in one place, etc...

But now its been almost a year and no update, when they said they were winding down, we thought theyd at least deliver another update with a few popular titles, but as it is, we may never see another this gen.

How do you guys feel? I was deeply hurt, because right now i play as many XBOX games as much as 360 games, a lot of games around you can pick up for cheap.

#2 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I'm only missing out on Oddworld Stranger's Wrath. Other than that, I don't care much since I like the Xbox 360 features that are not accessible while playing original games.

#3 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

Sadly it appears as though backwards compatibility is a thing of the past, then again if you really want to play an old game its not like old consoles are expensive

#4 Posted by BlackSuitAndTie9 (289 posts) -

I don't care much for backwards compatibility anymore, they pretty much put up all the games I cared to buy and play on the 360.

#5 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -

I dont care for it either, if i want/need to play a XBO ill use my original xbox.

#6 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

It's not that big of a deal...the PS3 just announced that they are dropping BC altogether (PS2 games) and no one seems to have noticed (or care). There are plenty of games that work and the games that don't work aren't that big of a deal. You make it sound like they got rid of BC completely with the post title too...

#7 Posted by LuckyWanderDude (929 posts) -

I also wanted Stranger's Wrath to be BC so I'm pissed!

#8 Edited by Gorlath (7 posts) -

When Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders was on the list of BC I quickly got the update for it.

Unfortunately, my favorite part of the game was left out: multiplayer.
I mean, the least they could do was start me back at level 0 troops, but the BC drops online capabilities for it completely.

Anyone who has an original Xbox still play KUF online?

#9 Posted by Xeno (130 posts) -

Me.

Maybe Microsoft's next console will have backwards compatibility for all Xbox games. Assuming the next one is even going to have a disk tray. I just scared myself.

#10 Posted by ArmTheNuke (59 posts) -

I think Microsoft has gone away from just providing patches for original Xbox software in favor of just continuing to release original Xbox games as full downloads.

This way they do a little more work and make $10 dollars off each person who want to play their old favs again.

#11 Posted by badgrafix (33 posts) -

at first I thought you meant BC... The prehistoric cave man simulation game.. then i was going to say  "YES! grrr i was mad" but now all i have to say is no, 360 game suffice. they got all the xbox 1 games I want...

any one remember BC?

#12 Posted by Bruuin (21 posts) -

I was disappointed with the way Microsoft dropped support for the Xbox so soon after the 360's launch in general.  Backward compatibility matters enough for me to care about on all systems, both for playing old classics that I've already run through and for giving games a chance that I've not previously played.  I bought a few Original Xbox titles without ever own the console knowing I could play them on the 360 (Knights of the Old Republic anyone?).  Given that a lot of people sold their original consoles under the promise that Microsoft would continue to add titles to it's BC list, it's disappointing for sure.

#13 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

It doesn't really bother me.

#14 Posted by twenty0ne (3071 posts) -

I don't care, I have an original Xbox for that.

#15 Posted by Ozeki (156 posts) -

Beyond Good & Evil...

I guess I could play the GC version on the Wii if I ever get it. :-/

#16 Edited by Jay4321 (70 posts) -
badgrafix said:
"at first I thought you meant BC... The prehistoric cave man simulation game.. then i was going to say  "YES! grrr i was mad" but now all i have to say is no, 360 game suffice. they got all the xbox 1 games I want...

any one remember BC?
"
I remember, I was really looking forward to that game.
#17 Posted by Nemesis (317 posts) -

I'm not "seriously ticked" but I am disappointed since I did not own the original Xbox , but most of the best games are on the Backward compatible list anyways. Kind of off topic but they need Jet Set Radio future on Xbox originals, I can't find that game anywhere.

#18 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I should have checked the list before I got Metal Gear Solid 2 for the xbox. I was heard broken when I couldn't play it. :(

#19 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

I plugged the old Xbox in for just this, but it would be nice if they were BC on the 360.

#20 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

Well I still have my original xbox and still play my favorite game on it, so this doesn't really affect me. :D

#21 Posted by jNerd (2011 posts) -

Dude, lets just get over it. If you want to play them go snag an O.Xbox for like $40 & stfu. It's dead.... lets leave it that way.

#22 Posted by RocktimusPrime (4 posts) -

Personally it's not a huge loss. I think BC may be even less in the next gen.

#23 Posted by Wolverine (4278 posts) -

I just play my xbox games on my xbox and Halo 2 on my 360.

#24 Posted by Monty_The_Great (178 posts) -

Well the only game from my xbox I play on my 360 is NG:B and well, it works. I thought they had full BC by the way, but to hear that they don't is kind of surprising, learn new things everyday.

#25 Posted by AndrewB (7496 posts) -

Every Xbox game I have is currently in the list of backward compatible games, so my opinion obviously differs. I'm personally all set. They have a vast majority of the popular titles taken care of, and if someone is looking to play a more niche title, they can just buy an Xbox original on the cheap through Ebay or something. I'm sure there are still plenty of people looking to offload their fairly useless giganto black boxes.

Sure, I wish they''d  make all their back-titles backwards compatible, but they just aren't going to devote their resources to it. I accept that. And I really don't care. My attention is focused almost solely on new titles, and I don't have a collection of Xbox original titles, myself.

#26 Posted by Pleasureizmine (2136 posts) -
Oemenia said:
"MS have done a great job this gen, they have continued to deliver despite getting bashed left right and centre just about every step of the way. The same can be said with BC, the list grew steadily, and playing XBOX games on 360 was a dream, the amazing controller, the fantastic upscaling, the convenience of having it all in one place, etc...

But now its been almost a year and no update, when they said they were winding down, we thought theyd at least deliver another update with a few popular titles, but as it is, we may never see another this gen.

How do you guys feel? I was deeply hurt, because right now i play as many XBOX games as much as 360 games, a lot of games around you can pick up for cheap.
"
i think something like 300 plus games are BC
#27 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Shotaro said:
"Sadly it appears as though backwards compatibility is a thing of the past, then again if you really want to play an old game its not like old consoles are expensive
"
Agreed.

At least it's not like the PS3's BC where you had to wait for a patch to correct the tech glithes from the previous games.
#28 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
jNerd said:
"Dude, lets just get over it. If you want to play them go snag an O.Xbox for like $40 & stfu. It's dead.... lets leave it that way.
"
Being as harsh as it is, i agree.
If you have Xbox Original games, you almost certainly have a xbox.
Play it on that. Where it belongs.
#29 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"jNerd said:
"Dude, lets just get over it. If you want to play them go snag an O.Xbox for like $40 & stfu. It's dead.... lets leave it that way.
"
Being as harsh as it is, i agree.
If you have Xbox Original games, you almost certainly have a xbox.
Play it on that. Where it belongs.
"
I must agree also. Don't like it? Get Xbox 1. it should be less than a 360 game now.
#30 Posted by Mourne (789 posts) -

I really don't care about backwards compatibility anymore. All of the games I would ever play again from last generation already work, including Shenmue II, so I'm set.

#31 Edited by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

They want to make more money off the Xbox Original download feature on the marketplace. Can you blame them? They already have a huge list of backwards-compatible games, they aren't going to nullify the backwards-compatibility of the games already on the BC list; they simply will not add anymore games to it. I am perfectly fine with this and I can't imagine what games not on the list which should be. The best XBO games have backwards-compatibility and of these many are appearing for download on the marketplace.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

They have everything from the Halo series to Star Wars, Tom Clancy, and even deer hunting games. Obscure games that I have never heard of are right alongside the XBO's greatest hits. What more could you want? Maybe Microsoft omitted a few niche-games. But is that really enough to be "SERIOUSLY ticked off?" We never had to pay for this service, it was a courtesy. They stated that the Xbox 360 would have backwards-compatibility and they lived up to their word. They created a list of well over 200 games including the Platinum Hits and even the games that barely sold at all.

There is no reason to be so angry that they are done spending time on formating old games for their new console, especially when they are probably working on the next generation of the Xbox as we speak. They have done their customers a favor and have done a great job at that, I think people need to give "Micro$oft" a break and stop hating their every move simply because they are a corperation. They have their faults and at times I feel they violate the Anti-Trust Act, yet they have delivered an amazing console with fantastic games and an unrivaled online experience.

This isn't a big deal and most certainly should not be treated as one.

Basically, chill out.

#32 Edited by Sin4profit (2908 posts) -

I think they have a better incentive to try and resell those old games via marketplace then to waste money on backwards compatibility development. BC, to me, seems more like a marketing ploy originally as an incentive to upgrade to the newer systems early on in it's release...BC isn't as relevant from the business side of things at this point unless it's a matter of digitally distributing those old games through marketplace.

So, if they are doing away with it ( news to me) it's understandable and i think i've already played all the BC games i'd care to play anyway.

[edit]  - so, yeah...what the guy above me just said then ::nods::

#33 Posted by DappaDizzle (179 posts) -

at least we have a choice unlike the ps3

#34 Posted by Homer (1372 posts) -

Not really =\

#35 Posted by Rowr (5480 posts) -
badgrafix said:
"at first I thought you meant BC... The prehistoric cave man simulation game.. then i was going to say  "YES! grrr i was mad" but now all i have to say is no, 360 game suffice. they got all the xbox 1 games I want...

any one remember BC?
"
yeh thats what i thought at first.

man i was so looking forward to that game. Another extremely ambitious lionhead project, sounded awesome.

As far as backwards compatibility, most of the best games are and thats enough. Otherwise they are continuing to roll out xbox originals as downloadables, probably part of the reason they wound it down.

Dropping it altogether as sony did was utter bullshit.
#36 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

I don't really play Xbox games anymore so it doesn't affect me that much.

#37 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"They want to make more money off the Xbox Original download feature on the marketplace. Can you blame them?"

No, not really, once I consider the fact that it's Microsoft and nearly everything they do involves money for them... ads when you pay 50 bucks for live, for example. Or paying for picture packs? LOL.
#38 Posted by KindGalaxy (429 posts) -

Couldn't care less about BC if I tried. I finished Halo, Halo 2, Jade Empire, PGR 2, RalliSport Challenge and Shrek... I wasn't going back, no intention to go back, not when every week seems to have another awesome game coming out; either at retail or on XBLA.

#39 Posted by Batman (1016 posts) -

Meh, I tried playing Fable on 360 and the frame rate was so damn choppy that I could hardly play.

#40 Posted by Trickster (60 posts) -

Don't the 360 already have BC for most of the popular titles?

#41 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Batman said:
"Meh, I tried playing Fable on 360 and the frame rate was so damn choppy that I could hardly play.
"
Same here. Also, did you get some quick static sounds when playing? It was only for Fable 1 though. No other game.
#42 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -
badgrafix said:

any one remember BC?
"
I remember playing that back on the Commodore 64 , I t was tough when I was little, terible comic strip, fun game.
#43 Posted by L (1681 posts) -

I would like to see them put more titles on the Xbox Originals list. Especially the more obsolete titles such as RollerCoaster Tycoon.

#44 Posted by Bloodbath (85 posts) -

I don't care...I didn't buy my 360 to play old games. I still have my original Xbox if I want to do that.

#45 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

all the games i want to play are BC, and likely they will release a huge update at the end of the year.

#46 Posted by sizu (391 posts) -

Who cares....you buy a new console to play new games.  I think if you really wanted to play these old games then you would have picked up a xb back in the day when the games were released.

#47 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
sizu said:
"Who cares....you buy a new console to play new games.  I think if you really wanted to play these old games then you would have picked up a xb back in the day when the games were released."

Not really, if everyone used that concept, then they would have never added Xbox Originals on the 360, or BC on the PS3, or BS on the Wii, or BC on the PS2...
#48 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Sentry said:
"sizu said:
"Who cares....you buy a new console to play new games.  I think if you really wanted to play these old games then you would have picked up a xb back in the day when the games were released."

Not really, if everyone used that concept, then they would have never added Xbox Originals on the 360, or BC on the PS3, or BS on the Wii, or BC on the PS2...
"
Agreed. Most people get a console for both reasons. Why leave the previous gen behind and make others go out searching for the previous console when you could just make your next gen console also play the previous gen's games? Also, by putting it on their network, they get a profit from consumers.
#49 Posted by Blu_Magic (2021 posts) -

Backwards Compatibility doesn't really interest me anymore.

#50 Posted by RoslindaleOne (26 posts) -

It doesn't bother me much. I remember the time when MS wasn't even going to have the 360 B.C.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.