Why are the cords so big?

#1 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

I have a 360, i really like it,but why do the power and AV cables have to be so big and thick.They are like the godzillas of cables.

#2 Posted by Rorschach (316 posts) -
TomA said:
"I have a 360, i really like it,but why do the power and AV cables have to be so big and thick.They are like the godzillas of cables."
Personally, i like the extra protection. Oh, and I like Godzilla.
#3 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

HEAT SHIELD TECHNOLOGY!!!

#4 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -

Because the power supply is outside of the system (that big gray brick with its own fan) and it has to power all of the components inside the 360.

#5 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

Well, I'm rather proud of my thick cord...so whatever.

#6 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -

Pffffffft, it could be bigger! I want a fucking hernia when I go to pick it up!

Because you have to be THAT bad-ass to plug in a 360!

#7 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

I guess the power brick makes sense,but why didn't they put the power supply in the console,isn't that how the wii and ps3 do it?

#8 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Think about what you just said a little more.

#9 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -
TomA said:
"

I guess the power brick makes sense,but why didn't they put the power supply in the console,isn't that how the wii and ps3 do it?

"
Because then the console would have even more heating issues than it already does. 60% of RRODs are caused from people putting the power supply too close to the console (made up statistic).
#10 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"Think about what you just said a little more."
That.  Seriously, did you ask why the SUPER HOT POWER SUPPLY isn't INSIDE of an XBOX 360?!
That fulfills my LULZ for the day.  I'm gonna go play video games now.
#11 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"DualReaver said:
"Think about what you just said a little more."
That.  Seriously, did you ask why the SUPER HOT POWER SUPPLY isn't INSIDE of an XBOX 360?!
That fulfills my LULZ for the day.  I'm gonna go play video games now.
"
Cya at home.
#12 Posted by Kazona (3065 posts) -

For the power cord it's most likely because inside it there's thick copper wiring. The thicker the wire for the electric current, the less chance it'll fry.

#13 Posted by Coltonio7 (3156 posts) -
Kazona said:
"For the power cord it's most likely because inside it there's thick copper wiring. The thicker the wire for the electric current, the less chance it'll fry."
Is that sexual?

If so...I don't get it.
#14 Posted by jangofett88 (324 posts) -

Those 360 cords have nothing on my PC power cord.

#15 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -
jangofett88 said:
"Those 360 cords have nothing on my PC power cord."
Mines bigger.
#16 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

I tried to be normal,you people won't let up!!!!Well not all of you but just because i don't know as much as you you don't have to antagonize me.Godamn.

#17 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -
TomA said:
"I tried to be normal,you people won't let up!!!!Well not all of you but just because i don't know as much as you you don't have to antagonize me.Godamn."
I answered your questions. That gives me the right to antagonize you.
#18 Posted by jangofett88 (324 posts) -
TomA said:
"I tried to be normal,you people won't let up!!!!Well not all of you but just because i don't know as much as you you don't have to antagonize me.Godamn."
I was being serious.
caption
#19 Posted by Unreal_dro (277 posts) -
Gunner said:
"jangofett88 said:
"Those 360 cords have nothing on my PC power cord."
Mines bigger."
Mines Biggest
#20 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

Okay ya i've just been under alot of stress for the last few months,i'm really tense and I tend to take things the wrong way.Sorry.

#21 Posted by Palantas (109 posts) -

It could be worse.  That giant brick could be right on the plug, taking up three spaces on your power strip.

#22 Posted by Rorschach (316 posts) -
Palantas said:
"It could be worse.  That giant brick could be right on the plug, taking up three spaces on your power strip."
Yeah, thats not likely to be in a future model. Not exactly a good example. That's like saying "it could be worse, a crazed midget could burst through your window, set himself on fire and melt your AV cords". Sure, it'd be worse, but its not something that needs to be worried about.
#23 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -
Rorschach said:
"Palantas said:
"It could be worse.  That giant brick could be right on the plug, taking up three spaces on your power strip."
Yeah, thats not likely to be in a future model. Not exactly a good example. That's like saying "it could be worse, a crazed midget could burst through your window, set himself on fire and melt your AV cords". Sure, it'd be worse, but its not something that needs to be worried about."
I don't know man, you gotta watch out for those midgets.
#24 Posted by Muze (183 posts) -
TomA said:
"I tried to be normal,you people won't let up!!!!Well not all of you but just because i don't know as much as you you don't have to antagonize me.Godamn."
There is no normality on Giantbomb.
#25 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Big Cords means big Ports........

#26 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

'Cause Msoft is NOT a hardware company.

Now try to turn that into sexual innuendo! 
#27 Posted by diz (918 posts) -

As for the power supply, the need for thick wires is because of current supply at low DC voltages (5v and 12v). Shielding around the cable is also done to prevent radio frequency interference.

The video cable need not be thick if you use an HDMI cable. The video cable carries the red, green and blue signal, as well as a composite signal - all with shielding around their cores.

The power supply could have been built into the 360, just like the old power supply was built into the old xbox. It would have made the console much bigger and less appealing to look at. The existing PSX does not create that much heat, as can be confirmed by its tiny ventilation holes. Its just a PC power supply really:

360 knocked up to a PC PSU





This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.