Why aren't horror movie franchises turned into games?

#1 Posted by BigDaddyJack (11 posts) -

All other movie genres are I remember there was a friday the 13th game for the NES but besides that other games escape me. I think with all of the movies coming out now why haven't they made the transition.

#2 Posted by Conner (88 posts) -

They are making a game based on the Saw movies. But that's about all I think will happen.

#3 Posted by PaperPlain (243 posts) -

Because just like almost every other movie-game, it would fail.

#4 Posted by Peacemaker (1101 posts) -

Movie games aren't good. Most horror games have a similar premise to the movies anyway.  Left 4 Dead is a lot like 28 days/weeks later.  Dead Rising and Dawn of the Dead. 

#5 Posted by BigDaddyJack (11 posts) -

I am not saying that they would be good but every other genre or movie franchise has been whored out except for this one which would actually seem to be the cheapest to get the rights to, compared to the James Bond and Indiana Jones of the world.

#6 Posted by OblivionGuy07 (161 posts) -

Movie games suck, sorry to say it... But they should consider making some horror movie games, I'm sure they wouldn't be that bad.

#7 Posted by Txheat (133 posts) -

It is really hard to make gamers scared and keep them intrested in the game, i feel FEAR did a good job of it.

#8 Posted by Protocol (56 posts) -

I think there was a Texas Chainsaw Massacre game for Atari 2600. Picture that movie with 2600 graphics. Fun. ;)

#9 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

It's popular and it has been done successfully with the condemned series.  If it keeps selling, they'll keep making it.

#10 Posted by TimeWaffle (944 posts) -

well horror movies don't usually have as big a budget as other movie genres

#11 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

They wouldn't end up well

#12 Posted by Met2609 (555 posts) -

Most horror movie franchises have deteriorated into formulaic garbage. Just think how bad the games would be.

#13 Posted by coldmilk (66 posts) -

The survival horror genre has some pretty strong candidates like the Silent Hill and Resident Evil franchises both sell really well while other new franchises like Obscure or Haunting Ground remain relatively unknown. With most horror movies being low-budget and director driven faire they really don't have the mass appeal to have a tie-in video game let alone the marketing to have a game to support its release.

#14 Posted by Ravioli_Sumo (51 posts) -

Horror movies are centered around suspense. How would a video game of a horror movie work? You couldn't be the Monster/Killer/Whatever because you would know everything (This eliminating the suspense) and being the victims wouldn't be fun either simply because you can't really fight back.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.