Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

why do people care so much about hacked achievements?

Avatar image for porcelain_snake
    Porcelain_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Porcelain_Snake

in the recent article about the new USB support for the 360 jeff makes a note about putting a lid on hacked achievements, and ive noticed a topic flying about about banning people with hacked achievements from this site. what i want to know is why its such a big deal. i dont see how someone hacking to have a gamerscore of 2.5 billion effects anyone. call me naive but i never considered gaming a race to see who has the highest arbitrary number. perhaps im just being naive here but i wanna hear why you guys feel its such an issue.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ryax

raging nerds feel that the illegitemate aquisation of achievements and such isnt fair when they have to do it the legit way. i personally dont care what a person has as gamerscore. its not like it changes the game or gets them benefits. and it doesnt make me enjoy my xbox any less.

Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lamashtu

E-peen thing I guess. Myself I sort of have a a low opinion on guys who go totally out of their way for those things. I mean, if a high gamerscore feeds your ego, why get a game like Avatar and King Kong if I can just check your profile and say: "Hey, how sad is this guy?!"

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Coombs

People put hundreds of hours into building their gamerscore,
    When they see people who have cheated their way to a high score it degrades their own "accomplishment" 

Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Deathawk

I kind of have the opposite question why do people achievement hack in the first place, you're not fooling anyone. If I see you 1000'd every game on your profile, I don't think you're some badass in videogames I see you as a flippin cheat... 
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By PureRok
    @Deathawk said:
    " I kind of have the opposite question why do people achievement hack in the first place, you're not fooling anyone. If I see you 1000'd every game on your profile, I don't think you're some badass in videogames I see you as a flippin cheat...  "
    What if they didn't cheat?
    Puer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Puer

It's like asking why people, who play in mmo, want to be "the best" in virtual world. Kinda pointless. Nobody likes cheaters.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikeeegeee

Guess it comes down to if you give a shit about your gamerscore. You're probably like me, and you don't. We could care less about people modifying that worthless number. Those that do care, however.... well @Coombs:  said it best.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust

I don't alter my play to get achievements and I've never played a game just for these intangible rewards (no Avatar for me) but I do get a little boost when an achievement or trophy pops up while I am playing.  I can understand people being competitive with their friends, but I can't understand cheating to increase their scores.  It's not real and not that life altering.  Girls won't date you, the boss won't give you a raise, and small animals won't stop fleeing from you just because you have a high Gamerscore.  However, I am pretty sure hacking it to increase your total is a violation of Microsoft's EULA, so there is that to contend with.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
    Remember if Microsoft catches you cheating your way to a higher gamerscore, they will reset your gamerscore to 0 (which you cannot get back ) and label your profile as a Cheater for everyone to see.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Jeust
    @DarkGamerOO7 said:

" Remember if Microsoft catches you cheating your way to a higher gamerscore, they will reset your gamerscore to 0 (which you cannot get back ) and label your profile as a Cheater for everyone to see. "

well that is a new achievement on its own lol 

For me achievements are meaningless and they have only meaning when i spring one of them. :p I have no love for achievement cheating punishment. Gamerscores don't mean anything in the first place.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

idk, i don't see the point in getting achievements. sure it is great to hear the sound of getting one but there is no point in getting them. it is just going to keep on adding up. i'm not a fan of getting them. i will get replay a game just to get that one achievement.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ch13696

There's always been a competition in scores. Remember the movie King of Kong: Fist Full of Quarters? Anyways, I understand your viewpoint. Who cares. If they cheat they cheat. It's not going to ruin anyones gameplay. Hell, it wouldn't effect me. For some reason this is actually I'm actually getting frustrated with this. The minute Microsoft introduces the USB drive option. Everyone automatically thinks of piracy. Can we just wait and see what happens? Not only that, people could have done it with the regular 360 hard drive. All it is is a notebook hard drive in a casing. Check it out... 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Because cheaters are cheaters regardless of the venue.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Azteck
    @PureRok said:
    " @Deathawk said:
    " I kind of have the opposite question why do people achievement hack in the first place, you're not fooling anyone. If I see you 1000'd every game on your profile, I don't think you're some badass in videogames I see you as a flippin cheat...  "
    What if they didn't cheat? "
    Getting 1000gS on every game you've ever played is impossible. Unless you have like. Two games.
    SmackmYackm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmackmYackm
    @DarkGamerOO7 said:
    " Remember if Microsoft catches you cheating your way to a higher gamerscore, they will reset your gamerscore to 0 (which you cannot get back ) and label your profile as a Cheater for everyone to see. "
    This would be an even greater achievement that getting 1000 in any game. A gamerscore is bullshit and since I've stopped caring about achievements I enjoy my games more.
    BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BionicMonster

the staff at Giant Bomb probably doesn't want to see their awesome achievement tracking system become useless.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ch13696
    @Azteck said:
    " @PureRok said:
    " @Deathawk said:
    Getting 1000gS on every game you've ever played is impossible. Unless you have like. Two games. "
    Take a look at Games for Windows Live. I have 2 versions of Fallout 3 and Gears of War.
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @ch13696 said:
    " @Azteck said:
    " @PureRok said:
    " @Deathawk said:
    Getting 1000gS on every game you've ever played is impossible. Unless you have like. Two games. "
    Take a look at Games for Windows Live. I have 2 versions of Fallout 3 and Gears of War. "
    You must like Fallout 3 and Gears of War A LOT.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Jeust
    @BionicMonster said:

" the staff at Giant Bomb probably doesn't want to see their awesome achievement tracking system become useless. "

and if they worry too much about them, and they'll sure to lose users. 

If i were them, i would just shrug that responsibility back to Microsoft.
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @Ryax said:
    " raging nerds feel that the illegitemate aquisation of achievements and such isnt fair when they have to do it the legit way. i personally dont care what a person has as gamerscore. its not like it changes the game or gets them benefits. and it doesnt make me enjoy my xbox any less. "
    A lot of achievements are tied to in game events, ie unlocking stuff in ME for second play through.Its generally bad, and people spend time making games to have them be enjoyed, not exploited. Just cause it doesn't really effect others, it doesn't mean it should be allowed. It removes the desire to get them if you can just unlcok em willy-nilly.
    Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ryax
    @MordeaniisChaos said:

" @Ryax said:

" raging nerds feel that the illegitemate aquisation of achievements and such isnt fair when they have to do it the legit way. i personally dont care what a person has as gamerscore. its not like it changes the game or gets them benefits. and it doesnt make me enjoy my xbox any less. "
    A lot of achievements are tied to in game events, ie unlocking stuff in ME for second play through.Its generally bad, and people spend time making games to have them be enjoyed, not exploited. Just cause it doesn't really effect others, it doesn't mean it should be allowed. It removes the desire to get them if you can just unlcok em willy-nilly. "
    i dont think it should be allowed. i just dont people should get their panties in a bunch over it
    bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bigsmoke77

Some websites create great content that involve gamerscore, I can't think of any of the top of my head............ They show off what you have accomplished, maybe thats why they are called achievements, its a way to show off the fact that you beat 2017 earth defence force on the hardest difficulty, which is impossible. There are a lot of things they could do with achievement points but they can't because of these hacks. I am pretty sure Jeff could give an excellent argument on why achievement points need to be protected.        
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @ch13696 said:
    " There's always been a competition in scores. Remember the movie King of Kong: Fist Full of Quarters? Anyways, I understand your viewpoint. Who cares. If they cheat they cheat. It's not going to ruin anyones gameplay. Hell, it wouldn't effect me. For some reason this is actually I'm actually getting frustrated with this. The minute Microsoft introduces the USB drive option. Everyone automatically thinks of piracy. Can we just wait and see what happens? Not only that, people could have done it with the regular 360 hard drive. All it is is a notebook hard drive in a casing. Check it out... 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html "
    Does that shit still work? I don't mind just getting a cheap 16GB flash drive though.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy going after achievements that seem fun or challenging, but I don't give half a shit about someone who thinks they're cool by hacking achievements.  It doesn't affect me in the slightest, so why should I care about them?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ch13696
    @ThePhantomnaut said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    " There's always been a competition in scores. Remember the movie King of Kong: Fist Full of Quarters? Anyways, I understand your viewpoint. Who cares. If they cheat they cheat. It's not going to ruin anyones gameplay. Hell, it wouldn't effect me. For some reason this is actually I'm actually getting frustrated with this. The minute Microsoft introduces the USB drive option. Everyone automatically thinks of piracy. Can we just wait and see what happens? Not only that, people could have done it with the regular 360 hard drive. All it is is a notebook hard drive in a casing. Check it out... 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html "
    Does that shit still work? I don't mind just getting a cheap 16GB flash drive though. "
    Yeah it works. I haven't tried it but plenty of my friends did. They also said that Microsoft can detect if you modded your hard drive. I don't know why it would matter if you switched out a 20 gig for a 120 gig.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.