Why does my Sony Bravia look really bad in 720p compared to 1440?

#1 Posted by insanejedi (654 posts) -

My TV (Bravia  KDL19M4000) is hooked up to both a PC and an Xbox. However I found that component cables gave me a really bad picture quality compared to my VGA. I thought this was a cable issue, until I got an HDMI cable and found the picture quality between the component and HDMI was exactly the same. Granted the KDL's native resolution is 1440*900, but when I run full screen games on my PC with the same resolution (I.e splintercell double agent) 720p looks fine.  Even when I crank it up to 1080p it looks really bad still compared to my 1440 resolution.

Bottom line: VGA in 1440 looks far better than 720p or 1080p in component or HDMI.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

#2 Posted by MB (12396 posts) -

I would guess that you're not doing anything wrong. Quality in resolutions other than native on an LCD rely on the display's scaler to either remove "extra" pixels or "fill in the blanks" with guesses on what should be there. Some TV's have better scalers than others, and there are even variations on the quality of the scaler between inputs on the same model.

It's only a 19" display, just go with the combination the looks best and forget about the numbers.

#3 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@insanejedi said:
" My TV (Bravia  KDL19M4000) is hooked up to both a PC and an Xbox. However I found that component cables gave me a really bad picture quality compared to my VGA. I thought this was a cable issue, until I got an HDMI cable and found the picture quality between the component and HDMI was exactly the same. Granted the KDL's native resolution is 1440*900, but when I run full screen games on my PC with the same resolution (I.e splintercell double agent) 720p looks fine.  Even when I crank it up to 1080p it looks really bad still compared to my 1440 resolution.  Bottom line: VGA in 1440 looks far better than 720p or 1080p in component or HDMI.  What the hell am I doing wrong?   "
Just so you're clear, 720p is 1280x720, 1080p is 1920x1080.  I only say this because of how you're saying 1440, as compared to 720p.
#4 Posted by Jelloblimp (14 posts) -

The native resolution of  Bravia  KDL19M4000 is 1440 x 900, of course other  resolutions will look bad.  http://www.cnet.com/hdtv-resolution/  has a decent article explaining why you should use the native resolution.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.