Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Will 20gb HDD become obsolete?

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

With the announcement of the new update including the ability to download games directly to your hard drive to make games run faster/smoother, will there be any point to having a 20gb hard drive? I mean with all of these games 20gb wouldnt be sufficient. Are you willing to buy a 120gb if you dont have one? or will you not download the games to your hard drive?

Blu_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Blu_Magic

I'm pretty content with my 20gb hard drive.

JibaaJabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JibaaJabba

i was under the assumption that they already where but i guess i was wrong.
    Sadly tho yes i believe they will be DL content is getting bigger and bigger as time pass's

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By kush

I'm fine with my 20GB...but they might be working their way to making the 60GB the norm.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
    deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

They should just cut the cost of the 120 GB hard drives to sell standalone.  I'd buy one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Before Rock Band DLC, I might have said 20GB was enough. Now, however, I think I may have to upgrade. Too bad I can't just buy any hard drive I wish, like PS3 users can... Damn those Sony bastards and their ease of use!

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlindEffekt

20's fine for me. I'm tired of buying accessories

Avatar image for monty_the_great
    Monty_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Monty_The_Great
    Blu_Magic said:
    "I'm pretty content with my 20gb hard drive.
    "
    this
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By KingBroly

I probably will upgrade, but not because of Music game DLC.  No, I am not good at those games, so I won't bother.  But instead, I would like to install games to keep my system running quieter with full game installs.

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I'm a bit worried that my 20gb HD will run out, I'm at 8gb left and although that's alot god knows how much putting a full game on there will take up. But for fucks sake Microsoft, with the money I would by your 120gb HD with I could buy 2 for my computer!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should drop it and stick with the new 60GB one. PLUS they really need to lower down the hard drive prices, those prices are just ridiculous.

Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nobility

No but it will fade away towards the budget market.  Microsoft will probably consider fueling competition for the Wii with a 20GB hard drive filled with community/arcade games for a lower selling point.

ElStevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By ElStevo

I'm struggling with space on mine. I have 6.9GB of DLC and stuff and a few demo's I haven't got around to playing. I'd get the 120Gb HDD bit that's the equivalent of $240 in the UK, so... yeah.

voghan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By voghan

Most people will be fine with their 20GB but a few will not.  I think 60GB is probably not enough for the people that really want to download stuff and install games.  I have 70GB left on my 120GB and I don't have many demos or TV shows.    I think Microsoft should start putting 20GB in all the Arcade models out there.  I don't think they are selling many of those.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS3 got filled (60GB) in a matter of months, I still don't get how people can be fine with just 20GB> O_O'

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By and333

they pretty much are! When you get to downloading full xbox original games or even live arcade games which are increasing in size its already obsolete.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By grilledcheez

20GB is still good for me and I have a ton of shows and like 27 arcade games lol...I'm not going to dl the game to the hdd

Wafe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wafe

Microsoft has said that they will "optimize" for the 20G.  But I am going to get a 60G now that you can install games to the hard drive.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By DARKIDO07
    Gorillawhat said:
    "I'm a bit worried that my 20gb HD will run out, I'm at 8gb left and although that's alot god knows how much putting a full game on there will take up. But for fucks sake Microsoft, with the money I would by your 120gb HD with I could buy 2 for my computer!
    "
    I could buy a some 300 GB HD for $100, for a PC. That 120 HD should cost $50 at the most.
    LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By LightYagami245
    Blu_Magic said:
    "I'm pretty content with my 20gb hard drive.
    "
    Me too. I have many games and music saved on my HDD with plenty of space left, so I say no, it won't become obsolete,
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Vinchenzo

20G won't become obsolete if the person that uses it is smart enough to consistently clean off unwanted content. Don't keep episodes you haven't watched in a long time, arcade games you'll never play again, picture packs that were free or bought, etc. All of this stuff can be redownloaded for free. I have a 20G and still have 8 or 9 gigs left. Once upgrading becomes cheaper (such as bumping down prices of larger hard drives) I may consider buying a new one. But I'm in no hurry.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KindGalaxy

The Xbox 360s without a hard drive at all are still not obsolete, why would the 20GB model be any different.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LightYagami245
    Vinchenzo said:
    "20G won't become obsolete if the person that uses it is smart enough to consistently clean off unwanted content. Don't keep episodes you haven't watched in a long time, arcade games you'll never play again, picture packs that were free or bought, etc. All of this stuff can be redownloaded for free. I have a 20G and still have 8 or 9 gigs left. Once upgrading becomes cheaper (such as bumping down prices of larger hard drives) I may consider buying a new one. But I'm in no hurry.
    "
    I just wouldn't buy movies and episodes in the first place. I think movies are a waste because you can only have them for 24 hours. It will still be on your harddrive, but you can't watch it. I think you can watch episodes as much as you want.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vinchenzo
    LightYagami245 said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "20G won't become obsolete if the person that uses it is smart enough to consistently clean off unwanted content. Don't keep episodes you haven't watched in a long time, arcade games you'll never play again, picture packs that were free or bought, etc. All of this stuff can be redownloaded for free. I have a 20G and still have 8 or 9 gigs left. Once upgrading becomes cheaper (such as bumping down prices of larger hard drives) I may consider buying a new one. But I'm in no hurry.
    "
    I just wouldn't buy movies and episodes in the first place. I think movies are a waste because you can only have them for 24 hours. It will still be on your harddrive, but you can't watch it. I think you can watch episodes as much as you want.
    "
    You can delete movies whenever you want. Episodes do stay.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jayge_

I will not be buying any new hard drives from Microsoft, ever. You can get triple the storage for the PS3 at half the price. 180 dollars for 120 gigabytes? Ridiculous. The 20GB HD only really offers around 14 gigs of storage anyway, with at least 6 (usually 7) used for "formatting". Proprietary storage was one of the dumbest design moves made by MS, besides designing their own in-house architecture that fries itself 30% of the time.

I hate their console design, but I love their first parties >.<

The problem will be deciding which games to have installed at what time- I may be able to hold only one, if I'm unlucky.

LightYagami245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LightYagami245
    Vinchenzo said:
    "LightYagami245 said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "
    "
    You can delete movies whenever you want. Episodes do stay.
    "
    I know about deleting movies(i worded my post wrong), but you can only watch them once.
    Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an iTv so Movies on my Xbox aren't really a concern.

Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Homer

I doubt it will become obsolete =\

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Subway
    Sentry said:
    "They should drop it and stick with the new 60GB one. PLUS they really need to lower down the hard drive prices, those prices are just ridiculous.
    "
    For once I agree with you, the price of a 120gig 360 HDD is ridiculous.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Subway said:
    "Sentry said:
    "They should drop it and stick with the new 60GB one. PLUS they really need to lower down the hard drive prices, those prices are just ridiculous.
    "
    "
    Agreed. Unless they drop the price I won't be getting another HDD.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Subway said:
    "Sentry said:
    "
    "
    Yeah, I really need to change this avatar already... rubs people the wrong way.
    BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BlindEffekt
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "I could buy a some 300 GB HD for $100, for a PC. That 120 HD should cost $50 at the most.
    "
    I like this post, and agree with it fully.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But if I said it I would be bashed and called a fanboy. :(

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BlindEffekt
    Sentry said:
    "But if I said it I would be bashed and called a fanboy. :(
    "
    Well your a "playstation loyalist", you keep saying how playstations going to have a year over the xbox.
    Also, you have one of the highest post counts in this forum, and you don't own a 360.
    Yes im going to keep calling you one, infact, its your new nickname :p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlindEffekt said:
    "Sentry said:
    "But if I said it I would be bashed and called a fanboy. :(
    "
    Well your a "playstation loyalist", you keep saying how playstations going to have a year over the xbox.
    Also, you have one of the highest post counts in this forum, and you don't own a 360.
    Yes im going to keep calling you one, infact, its your new nickname :p

"
    PlayStation loyalist is basically what my alignment is, who I prefer over whom. And yeah, I have the highest post count in the general discussion as well as the PS3 board; case and point.

PS- read my posts about not owning a 360, it was only until recently and I still play it on a weekly basis you could say. Seems like you are attacking me everywhere and proven wrongly so.
    BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BlindEffekt
    Sentry said:
    "PlayStation loyalist is basically what my alignment is, who I prefer over whom. And yeah, I have the highest post count in the general discussion as well as the PS3 board; case and point.

PS- read my posts about not owning a 360, it was only until recently and I still play it on a weekly basis you could say. Seems like you are attacking me everywhere and proven wrongly so.
    "
    Yeah im attacking you, proven wrongly? No, i just look in another thread and see you in a fight with someone else. It kinda justifies my negativity for you.
    But whatever, just try to bring less PS3 into Xbox discussions, and im sure we'll get on just fine.
    Im not on giantbomb to fight dude. Im actually a PS3 owner as well, and just because you think it has a shot at a great year, does not mean everyone tends to agree.
    That being said, lets stop this bullshit.
    :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlindEffekt said:

"Sentry said:
    "PlayStation loyalist is basically what my alignment is, who I prefer over whom. And yeah, I have the highest post count in the general discussion as well as the PS3 board; case and point.

"
    Yeah im attacking you, proven wrongly? No, i just look in another thread and see you in a fight with someone else. It kinda justifies my negativity for you.
    But whatever, just try to bring less PS3 into Xbox discussions, and im sure we'll get on just fine.
    Im not on giantbomb to fight dude. Im actually a PS3 owner as well, and just because you think it has a shot at a great year, does not mean everyone tends to agree.
    That being said, lets stop this bullshit.
    :)

"
    You have attacked me in many other threads, so don't try to play it peaceful after shooting someone. And by the way, that thread was full of debates lol, not just me. Debates are not a bad thing as long as they are civil. :P

Yeah, I will try not to. Just to let you know its sometimes hard to know if I am posting in what board, since they all just show up and I post fast so sometimes I miss what board im posting in. And I tend not to make comments about PS3 in a 360 board unless the topic has already been brought up, or is reasonable to bring up, not like posting "Yeah Killzone 2 will be awesome as well" in a thread that says "Gears 2 is awesome". Thats just stupid.

But yeah, same here. Again healthy debates with open minds are they key to success, I would never deny that PS3 does X worse then X, or vice versa, its just based off of logical and facts and once you question a post that says something about PS3, I will simply back up my logic and facts, not a fight, not fanboyism, just healthy debates with civil discussions, love is still somewhere in the mix. :P

Yeah, taaaarooosssee.
    BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BlindEffekt
    Sentry said:
    "You have attacked me in many other threads, so don't try to play it peaceful after shooting someone. And by the way, that thread was full of debates lol, not just me. Debates are not a bad thing as long as they are civil. :P

Yeah, I will try not to. Just to let you know its sometimes hard to know if I am posting in what board, since they all just show up and I post fast so sometimes I miss what board im posting in. And I tend not to make comments about PS3 in a 360 board unless the topic has already been brought up, or is reasonable to bring up, not like posting "Yeah Killzone 2 will be awesome as well" in a thread that says "Gears 2 is awesome". Thats just stupid.

But yeah, same here. Again healthy debates with open minds are they key to success, I would never deny that PS3 does X worse then X, or vice versa, its just based off of logical and facts and once you question a post that says something about PS3, I will simply back up my logic and facts, not a fight, not fanboyism, just healthy debates with civil discussions, love is still somewhere in the mix. :P

Yeah, taaaarooosssee.
    "
    Sweeet Dude, fresh start  lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude at first I got mixed up with you and GuiltySparks all the time, and he is WAY more aggressive fanboy turd, but then it clicked a few days ago lol. Similar avatars. :(

Now pass it on to Sparks.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Wolverine

Yeah I think if you download videos and demos of xbox live you should have at least a 60 gb.

and333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By and333

I will be getting the 120 GB harddrive because A. I'd like to not have to delete stuff i'm a collector B. Redownloading Ninja Gaidan Black would take time and C. I'm willing to upload my game to the HDD for faster load times. The 20 GB HDD is Obsolete to me!

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BlindEffekt

If i ever get a sum of spare money, i think i may invest in a new HDD. But for now, the 20 is fine.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DoctorTran

It became obsolete when they introduced the 120 gig hard drive.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vinchenzo
    DoctorTran said:
    "It became obsolete when they introduced the 120 gig hard drive.
    "
    Not really. 120 gigs is for hardcore content downloaders. 60 gig is a fair medium, and 20 gig is still a quality amount.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Systech

First of all, it's technically not 20GB. Out of the box, you only get about 12.5GB of free storage for you to use. I'm losing storage slowly and I have about 5GB left and I feel like Microsoft would really like to sell me a 120GB HDD. Too bad for them that I won't.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DoctorTran
    Vinchenzo said:
    "DoctorTran said:
    "
    Not really. 120 gigs is for hardcore content downloaders. 60 gig is a fair medium, and 20 gig is still a quality amount.
    "
    Good point but... I disagree.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Vinchenzo
    DoctorTran said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "DoctorTran said:
    "
    "
    Good point but... I disagree.
    "
    It depends on how you are I guess. I consistently clear my hard-drive of things I don't use, and I still have 9 gigs left.
    Avatar image for blacksuitandtie9
    BlackSuitAndTie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BlackSuitAndTie9

I'm okay with the 20GB harddrive for now, might buy a 60GB one if the price is okay though.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49  Edited By OGCartman

Nope, i think its good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cartman said:
    "Nope, i think its good.
    "

Stop posting like, several word posts in a billion threads.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.