Will my console survive until the Next-Gen?

#1 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

Man I'm not sure.

I've got the Xbox 360 Elite 120GB model - With the 2009 Jasper motherboard. I'm already setting money aside for the next Xbox in November and really don't want to break into that for nothun'.

Any older consoles out there that are still chugging along?

#2 Posted by mercutio123 (468 posts) -

I think it should survive, my ones a bit older than that and seems pretty stable. Even if it does, just wait for the new one, and then pick up what will be last gen games you want to play for a bit cheaper. simples

#3 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

@mercutio123: Sir, are you suggesting taking a break from video games? My goodness...

#4 Posted by Cramsy (1163 posts) -

@JasonLeeson said:

Man I'm not sure.

I've got the Xbox 360 Elite 120GB model - With the 2009 Jasper motherboard. I'm already setting money aside for the next Xbox in November and really don't want to break into that for nothun'.

Any older consoles out there that are still chugging along?

pshhh

20 gig launch still chugging away. Almost there old girl, almost there

#5 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

@Cramsy: Whaaaaaaa? Man how is that even...

What kind of usage do to give that thing?

#6 Posted by Cramsy (1163 posts) -

@JasonLeeson said:

@Cramsy: Whaaaaaaa? Man how is that even...

What kind of usage do to give that thing?

hmm, not as much now. I've clocked about 50 hours on halo 4 so far since it came out. Pretty heavy use some times but light in others. Sounds like a goddam jet

#7 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

who the fuck knows that. it could break tomorrow or in 5 years time. with out a crystal ball or jesus its difficult to know

#8 Posted by Cramsy (1163 posts) -

@Bell_End said:

who the fuck knows that. it could break tomorrow or in 5 years time. with out a crystal ball or jesus its difficult to know

you seem upset

#9 Posted by mercutio123 (468 posts) -
@Cramsy said:

@Bell_End said:

you seem upset

He always seems upset
#10 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@JasonLeeson: You install games right? Sorry to ask, but I don't think this is a feature that people readily now about with the 360, I had a mate that had a 120gb hard drive and always complained about the disc drive and fan noise and didn't know you could install games, this was the major problem with the early 360s not being able to install games so the disc drive would overheat. Sorry if you already know this.

#11 Edited by ChinaDontCare (111 posts) -

I bumped the tray disk of my slim, had to open it up but slims don't die, was going to upgrade PC but I've already invested so much into my Xbox why abandon it.

You should stay optimistic, GET TO THE FINISH LINE

#12 Posted by JasonLeeson (201 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: Yes, the first thing I do when I sit down with a new game is install the thing. Not only for longevity, but also load time improvements.

Everyone who isn't doing it should be.

#13 Posted by Kidavenger (3508 posts) -

There is absolutely zero chance of it surviving.

What now?

#14 Posted by psylah (2162 posts) -
#15 Posted by GunstarRed (5022 posts) -

Flip a coin.

#16 Posted by Rafaelfc (1313 posts) -

mine will survive, game consoles I own never ever break FACT!

#17 Posted by oldenglishC (922 posts) -

My old Zephyr model still purrs like a kitten.

Play the hell out of that Xbox, it'll be fine.

#18 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

Just ask next time you start it up.

#19 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I worry about my slim getting too much dust in it with that fan being right on top of the unit. I lay it horizontally, and I'm afraid to crack it open on my own to clean it. I'm pretty sure it's still in warranty, but I've gotten older 360s repaired by Microsoft for free that were out of warranty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.