Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Windows 8 to play Xbox 360 games.

• 60 results
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By xyzygy
    Source 

I'm not quite sure of that source,  I found this while Sparking in G+. I don't even know how this would work. I thought the disc drives in the 360 were different than regular disc drives you'd find on a computer? And what about performance? 

This does make sense though given that they're integrating GFWL and Xbox.com. What do you think? Good move? 

EDIT: Had no idea where to put this and then forgot. Maybe Xbox 360 is the best? 
    MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MikeGosot

I didn't read the source to find the answer to my question, but... Is this the end of exclusives?

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FritzDude

Interesting... I'm not sure how this would work though.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Um.. Ok.. I guess..

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Azteck

Yeah, I'm going to call bullshit on this one. There is no way they'd give up their xbox brand like this.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hunkulese
    @MikeGosot How do you arrive at that conclusion? Microsoft makes windows and xbox.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty

Cool, if:

- I'm able to render games at whatever resolution I run
    - The 360 games can take advantage of my hardware (e.g. run at 60 FPS)

@Azteck said:

Yeah, I'm going to call bullshit on this one. There is no way they'd give up their xbox brand like this.

Well they wouldn't really be giving the brand up, they'd be getting more people buying 360 games and getting more people on Xbox Live. Plus they do make Windows after all.

I can't see this being true though, they'd have to force 360 controller use too otherwise people using controllers vs people using keyboard would be majorly unfair.
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By xpgamer7

I doubt they'll switch over completely. They're making a lot more money on Xbox than Windows Live.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no

The entire point of a console is to have a single spec to build for. If you start having Xbox games playable on PC, you might as well just forget about the Xbox in the first place.

Plus, who trusts a site that is more ad than content?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Guys, it's probably just a screen redirection function, like Media Extender.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sooty
    @Xpgamer7 said:

I doubt they'll switch over completely. They're making a lot more money on Xbox than Windows Live.

Makes no real difference, GFWL uses Microsoft Points and most of the people using this will just be doing it to play the odd exclusive here and there. Likely people not willing to buy a console for particular games.

They are just getting more software sales and GFWL/Xbox Live sign ups. Seems pretty win-win and since pretty much every 360 accessory works on PC too they aren't even going to lose out on hardware sales much. (except for the console)

I wonder if this is why they released Kinect drivers for PC.

Won't be true but it wouldn't actually be a half bad idea.
    zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zaglis
    @Azteck said:
    Xbox 3.
     This is how they show what PC-only people have been missing all these years not owning a Xbox. 

As much I want to believe this, I doubt it will happen. Was this rumor started before or after when they announced that Gwfl is moving to Xbox.com?
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By grilledcheez

Yeah this has been a rumor for awhile now. It seems way too cool to be true.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Azteck
    @Ygg said:
    Cool, if:

@Azteck said:

Well they wouldn't really be giving the brand up, they'd be getting more people buying 360 games and getting more people on Xbox Live. Plus they do make Windows after all.  I can't see this being true though, they'd have to force 360 controller use too otherwise people using controllers vs people using keyboard would be majorly unfair.
    Well they'd lose a lot of hardware sales from the PC folk, wouldn't they? They wouldn't need their 360 to play exclusives, they could just run them on PC instead and just skip their console all-together.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

If this is true, I'm buying a Windows 8 laptop on the first day.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xyzygy
    @zaglis said:
    @Azteck said:
    Xbox 3.  This is how they show what PC-only people have been missing all these years not owning a Xbox.  As much I want to believe this, I doubt it will happen. Was this rumor started before or after when they announced that Gwfl is moving to Xbox.com?
    After. The source just posted this a few hours ago. That GFWL movement happened over a month ago I believe.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By onarum
    @xyzygy said:
    And what about performance?
    Current mid-range computers are many many times more powerful than a 360.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sooty
    @Azteck said:

@Ygg said:

Cool, if:

@Azteck

said:

Well they wouldn't really be giving the brand up, they'd be getting more people buying 360 games and getting more people on Xbox Live. Plus they do make Windows after all.  I can't see this being true though, they'd have to force 360 controller use too otherwise people using controllers vs people using keyboard would be majorly unfair.
    Well they'd lose a lot of hardware sales from the PC folk, wouldn't they? They wouldn't need their 360 to play exclusives, they could just run them on PC instead and just skip their console all-together.
    If they already own a 360 though why would Microsoft really care? They got the money from them buying that 360 already. The PC gamers that don't have a 360 at this point probably aren't going to buy one anytime soon.

and they'll still get money from accessories and the games they buy as well as whatever stuff they purchase from the marketplace. Plus the games would be running on Windows which is another source of profit for them.

@zaglis

said:

@Azteck said:

This is how they show what PC-only people have been missing all these years not owning a Xbox
    I don't think Microsoft are in a position to take that attitude, outside of Halo and Gears of War (well not including the first) what other big exclusives haven't already made their way to PC? 

Marketplace content is a valid point to make though.
    PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By PhatSeeJay

I think it could make sense for when they are to push for the next generation Xbox, but not till they've harvested what they can from the 360. I wouldn't mind that functionality when the 360 is obsolete and it bricks three or four years after the warranty is up.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bybeach

I can't see it. It subtracts the sale of a console and gives the user control. I could rail at MS about it, but Apple is like that also. Monetizing requires control, restrictions and gates. It doesn't matter whether doable, or even from a app. viewpoint better or not.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Azteck
    @Ygg said:
    @Azteck said:

@Ygg said:

Cool, if:

@Azteck

said:

If they already own a 360 though why would Microsoft really care? They got the money from them buying that 360 already. The PC gamers that don't have a 360 at this point probably aren't going to buy one anytime soon.

and they'll still get money from accessories and the games they buy as well as whatever stuff they purchase from the marketplace. Plus the games would be running on Windows which is another source of profit for them.

I suppose, only question is if they are willing to risk the drop in sales. I reckon the console is coming onto it's final chapters slowly, and that's usually when they' want to max out sales before the new line-up comes out. I'm not at all opposed to the idea of playing 360 games on my fancy new gaming PC, but it sounds like too much of a gamble. I guess only time will tell.
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By MEATBALL

With a new system on the horizon why not put 360 emulation into Windows 8? When their next system hits there's a good chance it will have limited/no backwards compatibility, so emulation of 360 software is likely to increase, why not offer an official solution?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I highly doubt that's true. That is someone misinterpreting Microsoft's announcement that they're bringing Xbox Live to Windows 8. Xbox Live on Windows 8 is just going to be a rebranded GFWL service. I mean, Windows Phone 7 has Xbox Live, but it sure as hell can't play Xbox 360 games.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sooty
    @bybeach said:

I can't see it. It subtracts the sale of a console and gives the user control. I could rail at MS about it, but Apple is like that also. Monetizing requires control, restrictions and gates. It doesn't matter whether doable, or even from a app. viewpoint better or not.

Microsoft are in a pretty comfortable position to this though, seeing as they create Windows and the 360 has hardly any decent exclusive series. (let's be honest)

I doubt this will hardly affect sales at all, it'd give them a nice amount of new software sales for sure though and a lot of people would go and pick up 360 controllers to use.

I say that because there's no way in hell this will happen if they allowed keyboard and mouse. I just don't see this working, if they force 360 pad use I guarantee somebody will create an app that allows keyboard and mouse to be used instead, that is the one reason why I don't think this is gonna ever happen.

@MattyFTM said:

I mean, Windows Phone 7 has Xbox Live, but it sure as hell can't play Xbox 360 games.

But no phone running WP7 is going to have the hardware to run a 360 game where as PC hardware has been at a higher level since 2005!
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aus_azn

If that's the case, then I don't need to sell all of my (currently) useless 360 games! Yay.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SlasherMan

I just don't see this happening.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Cameron

Wouldn't this just be a first-party Xbox 360 emulator? While it might be true that modern computers are way better than a 360, it would be up the emulation ninjas at Microsoft to make the emulator good enough to take advantage of that. The 360 has much better visuals than any comparably specked PC because developers can work with the exact specifications in mind and know that everyone has exactly those specifications. Once you open that up to millions of different computer configurations I imagine the minimum requirements for these games would be pretty steep.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@onarum said:
    @xyzygy said:
    And what about performance?
    Current mid-range computers are many many times more powerful than a 360.
    Yeah but isn't the Xbox 360 a closed platform?, they optimize the games to run on it. I think there have been more than a few examples of bad console ports that still run terribly on hardware more powerful than an Xbox 360.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@Ygg said:

@MattyFTM said:

I mean, Windows Phone 7 has Xbox Live, but it sure as hell can't play Xbox 360 games.

But no phone running WP7 is going to have the hardware to run a 360 game where as PC hardware has been at a higher level since 2005!

That doesn't change my point. Xbox Live is on Windows Phone 7. It doesn't play Xbox 360 games. Therefore we can conclude that the existence of Xbox Live on a platform does not mean that it will play Xbox 360 games. Microsoft have confirmed that Xbox Live is coming to Windows 8. I'm pretty sure this whole thing is people just misinterpreting that news, jumping to conclusions that Xbox Live on Windows 8 means Xbox 360 games on Windows 8, and we've already established why that's a dumb conclusion to come to.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe these people do have some inside information and Xbox 360 games are coming to Windows 8, but I doubt it.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karl_Boss

Will I be able to play PC games on my 360?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By toowalrus

I'm staying cautiously optimistic until I see how it officially works.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By myke_tuna

@MattyFTM said:

@Ygg said:

@MattyFTM said:

That doesn't change my point. Xbox Live is on Windows Phone 7. It doesn't play Xbox 360 games. Therefore we can conclude that the existence of Xbox Live on a platform does not mean that it will play Xbox 360 games. Microsoft have confirmed that Xbox Live is coming to Windows 8. I'm pretty sure this whole thing is people just misinterpreting the that news, jumping to conclusions that Xbox Live on Windows 8 means Xbox 360 games on Windows 8, and we've already established why that's a dumb conclusion to come to.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe these people do have some inside information and Xbox 360 games are coming to Windows 8, but I doubt it.

I agree with this man!

Also, that site that's linked is REALLY suspect. I got a (I forgot the actual term) "pop-up" ad that covers the article and there's an ad above the article that extends out. FUCK that noise.

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Surkov

I would like this to be true. I don't have an Xbox or a PC, if this were to happen I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gav47

I can't see it happening unless they introduce a new tier of Windows, something between Windows 8 Professional and Ultimate, so they can charge an extra $100 per OEM.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Akrid

Hmmmm.... 

Has about the same chance as a snowball in hell, as they say.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sooty
    @MattyFTM said:

@Ygg said:

@MattyFTM said:

That doesn't change my point. Xbox Live is on Windows Phone 7. It doesn't play Xbox 360 games. Therefore we can conclude that the existence of Xbox Live on a platform does not mean that it will play Xbox 360 games. Microsoft have confirmed that Xbox Live is coming to Windows 8. I'm pretty sure this whole thing is people just misinterpreting that news, jumping to conclusions that Xbox Live on Windows 8 means Xbox 360 games on Windows 8, and we've already established why that's a dumb conclusion to come to.

I don't really understand what they mean by Xbox Live is coming to Windows. Games are already using the same service on PC, although yeah it's rebranded GFWL, are they talking about some sort of marketplace and messaging app? I guess that makes sense, maybe they are also making it so PC and 360 players can be in parties together now.

I don't think it's fair to use WP7 as an example. Nobody in their right mind would assume that a phone is going to be playing 360 games, Xbox Live or not.

@Cameron said:

Wouldn't this just be a first-party Xbox 360 emulator? While it might be true that modern computers are way better than a 360, it would be up the emulation ninjas at Microsoft to make the emulator good enough to take advantage of that. The 360 has much better visuals than any comparably specked PC because developers can work with the exact specifications in mind and know that everyone has exactly those specifications. Once you open that up to millions of different computer configurations I imagine the minimum requirements for these games would be pretty steep.

In every game development documentary or behind the scenes I've seen all of these games can be seen running on a PC during development so I'd imagine whatever they are using would provide the backend for this to be possible. 

There's no way they could do this if it uses the same emulation methods as traditional emulators. Even PS2 emulators are demanding if you're only on a dual core procesosr.
    ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShadowSkill11

@Khann said:

no

The entire point of a console is to have a single spec to build for. If you start having Xbox games playable on PC, you might as well just forget about the Xbox in the first place.

I suppose you never used an emulator or pc gamed before either. PC's allow you to custom tailor your gaming experience to your hardware. Either by creating a superior experience or an inferior one. It's up to the user to decide how much effort the want to put into it. It's just that a lot of kids are lazy or don't know anything about computers besides updating their facebook status nowadays that make them dismiss pc gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShadowSkill11 said:

@Khann said:

no

I suppose you never used an emulator or pc gamed before either. PC's allow you to custom tailor your gaming experience to your hardware. Either by creating a superior experience or an inferior one. It's up to the user to decide how much effort the want to put into it. It's just that a lot of kids are lazy or don't know anything about computers besides updating their facebook status nowadays that make them dismiss pc gaming.

That is entirely my point though: consoles are made specifically to be a lower barrier to entry. The whole "put the disc in and play" thing.

While you and I may enjoy tinkering with .ini files and using third-party drivers, it has been made (unfortunately) pretty damn clear that the "mass market" has no interest in learning these things.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't believe that would happen.  However, it would be cool sense I could play Gears 3 without buying a whole console.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By emem

@Yggsaid:

The PC gamers that don't have a 360 at this point probably aren't going to buy one anytime soon.

Never, because 360 exclusives aren't worth it for me (unlike PS3 exclusives). But I would buy some of the games without the console and maybe even console only (360/PS3) releases for the PC instead of the PS3 which wouldn't be a bad thing for Microsoft, I guess.

@Ygg said:

I doubt this will hardly affect sales at all, it'd give them a nice amount of new software sales for sure though and a lot of people would go and pick up 360 controllers to use.

I say that because there's no way in hell this will happen if they allowed keyboard and mouse. I just don't see this working, if they force 360 pad use I guarantee somebody will create an app that allows keyboard and mouse to be used instead, that is the one reason why I don't think this is gonna ever happen.

Yeah, that's indeed the part that could mess up the multiplayer aspects of games. Some people would come forward and say "controllers are so much better, there is no way people with mouse and keyboard would have the slightest chance against us blabla", but.. they'd change their minds. It could work if they'd somehow integrate mouse and keyboard (made by Microsoft, of course) into the 360. :)

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iam3green

i wounder if that is true. it seems kind of pointless to do that if they have a console. i am wondering how the hardware can work. there are people there that can barely games for PC that are like 10 years old. 

i think this rumor is kind of like see what people on the xbox 360 is doing like on xbox.com site. you can see friend's list on the site and send them messages.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Vinny_Says

yeahh....no

iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43  Edited By iWonder

@Gav47 said:

I can't see it happening unless they introduce a new tier of Windows, something between Windows 8 Professional and Ultimate, so they can charge an extra $100 per OEM.

Oh god, dont give microsoft any horrible ideas like that

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By Hailinel

This seems too ridiculous to be true, honestly. And if it was, I can't imagine how third parties would take to their games potentially being installed and played on a PC.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#45  Edited By falconer

@MattyFTM said:

@Ygg said:

@MattyFTM said:

This. I made a big post on Tested mentioning the same thing.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By crusader8463

If it meant all games would have to support a KBM control scheme then I would be all for it, but it's never going to happen.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tourgen
    @Cameron said:

yeah, exactly.

Not to mention some of the big name developers have bypassed the standard interfaces and coded directly for the gfx hardware in the xbox.  That makes the emulators work much more difficult.  It has to have 1-to-1 opcode and hardware timing identical to the xbox hardware.  difficult and very costly to do in a software emulator.
    Mike512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Mike512

That will be the single stupidest move a console developer has ever made if they do that. It will completely defeat the purpose of having an Xbox and it will allow every single PlayStation owner to play Xbox games without having to buy a 360. Microsoft putting Gears, Fable and other big exclusives on PC is stupid enough, but this will just be ridiculously dumb if they do it and I find it hard to believe this would happen.

rautapalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By rautapalli

I can't see this being true since the 360 uses a modified PowerPC chip, which is very different than the x86 architecture used on Windows PC's. Emulating a triple core PowerPC chip would be slow as shit.

Asberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.