WTF is Microsoft's problem?

#1 Posted by Dethfish (3630 posts) -

A little over 3 weeks ago I sent in my 360 to be fixed. That was the longest 3 weeks I have ever experienced. I got my 360 back on Friday and found out I got a replacement system so I could get back to playing as soon as possible. I hooked it up right away and I started playing and within 15 minutes the whole system locked up. I was praying it was a freak thing and tried again and again it locked up.

Since then I have tested multiple things to try and figure out what's wrong with it.
I have tried:

Different games
Cleaning discs
Cleaning Hard Drive cache
Using different profile on HD
Removing HD
Try without being connect online

And every time it still locks up within 10 minutes but when I play XBLA games or demos it doesn't freeze so I have come to the conclusion that it has something to do with the disc drive.

This message is not to ask you what you think is wrong with with my 360 (although your thoughts would be nice) but to ask you how in the hell can Microsoft send out a broken Xbox 360? The only reason I can think of is they hate me.

The reason I am so pissed about this is because the only thing I can do is bitch and moan about it and it won't help. The only thing Microsoft will do is repair it and make me wait 3 weeks again.

#2 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Send it in again to get a new one.
And during those three weeks try going outside.

#3 Posted by Shocker (2339 posts) -

Damn that really sucks. You are having bad luck, or Microsoft is playing jokes on you.

#4 Posted by DarkBlyth (112 posts) -

This Is Why The PS3 Was Delayed To make It Error Free

#5 Posted by toast_burner (453 posts) -

personly deliver the 360 to ms explain your problem politely then slap them a cross the face and tell/show them how angry you are

#6 Posted by Gorillawhat (1259 posts) -

Your just unlucky, sue the Fedex dudes for breaking your Xbox during transportation.

#7 Posted by Guiltyspark (554 posts) -
DarkBlyth said:
"This Is Why The PS3 Was Delayed To make It Error Free
"
to bad it turned out it would become Game free
#8 Posted by Shotaro (820 posts) -

Send it back and do something else for a couple of weeks, you have giant bomb to keep you company now, either that or y'know go outside. Its just badluck, nothing more, nothing less. Life sucks and then you die so deep breath kiddo and be lucky thats the most agonising three weeks you've ever experienced

#9 Posted by Dethfish (3630 posts) -

Just so you guys know, I do go outside. I coach a little league team and I swim everyday that it's nice outside. So your little jokes might be funny to you but that's about it.  It was a painfull 3 weeks because I had just gotten 2 new games that I really wanted to play.

But that's a good point. If waiting for my 360 is the worst thing I've had to endure I've got an ok life.

#10 Posted by zdmetal2101 (63 posts) -
Guiltyspark said:
"DarkBlyth said:
"
to bad it turned out it would become Game free "

^LOL. I would just call MS again and bitch and tell them to maybe actually test a system to make sure it works before they send it out.
#11 Posted by BlindEffekt (917 posts) -
Guiltyspark said:
"DarkBlyth said:
"
Lol shutdown.
#12 Posted by Riddler (1528 posts) -
Guiltyspark said:
"DarkBlyth said:
"
Owned
#13 Posted by Gargantuan (1881 posts) -

What's with all the fanboyism in this thread? Hope they''l send a working one next time, Dethfish77.

#14 Posted by zdmetal2101 (63 posts) -

I'm not a fanboy I just thought it was a funny and true statement.

#15 Edited by TEAMHOLT (437 posts) -

The first time I sent in a 360, MS sent me one back that got RROD less than two weeks after I had gotten it. Then the next one I got had a rattling DVD drive.

I don't know what's up with those jokers, either.

#16 Posted by Dethfish (3630 posts) -

Don't they test the systems before they send them out? How can they not?

#17 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

That sucks man.  I've heard several other stories about people getting back broken 360s. 

#18 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

The only flaw to Microsoft, hardware.

#19 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

The problem is that Microsoft doesn't want to do a recall and wants to keep old systems circulating... Anyway, it's a real bummer that happened to you. Best of luck with the next one.

#20 Posted by pause422 (6172 posts) -

It amazes me this is still a problem( still 30%+) Microsoft should of fucking realized in the beginning,they make software and not hardware,and let someone else make the system to begin with. Never would of had this many broken  consoles.

#21 Posted by Arestice (468 posts) -
Dethfish77 said:
"

Just so you guys know, I do go outside. I coach a little league team and I swim everyday that it's nice outside. So your little jokes might be funny to you but that's about it.  It was a painfull 3 weeks because I had just gotten 2 new games that I really wanted to play.

But that's a good point. If waiting for my 360 is the worst thing I've had to endure I've got an ok life.

"
Made me lol a tad bit.
Why didn't you just buy a warranty with the store you got it from? They can't cost much more than 25/60 dollars depending on how long it lasts.
#22 Posted by BlackSuitAndTie9 (289 posts) -

That's your most painful three weeks? Wow. That's sad. I thought my severe depression was bad, but I can't imagine not having a 360 for 3 weeks. That's just terrible.

#23 Posted by OGCartman (4354 posts) -

Ouch, that sux hard. I guese you gotta wait another 3 weeks.

#24 Posted by kariyanine (216 posts) -
Dethfish77 said:
"This message is not to ask you what you think is wrong with with my 360 (although your thoughts would be nice) but to ask you how in the hell can Microsoft send out a broken Xbox 360? "
At least yours turns on, when I got my replacement system it red ringed out of the box.
#25 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I agree with some others, you are just unlucky. I got my same system back when it ringed out (only took me a week and a half!) and it's working fine ever since (happened in... April).

#26 Posted by ColMustard (357 posts) -

I got my RROD 2 hours before the release of GTA4, which I was going to pick up at midnight.... Needless to say, I was not a happy camper, but ya know, either MS fixes it or we all riot.

#27 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

That is unfortunate, however, I'm sure it is in no way a malicious act on the part of Microsoft :P

#28 Posted by Nobility (295 posts) -

This has grown to be the biggest problem for Microsoft this generation and it is their fault since they seem to share the problem all around with refurbished Xbox.  Your only chance is to hope Microsoft start inserting quality parts into upcoming 360 refreshes.

#29 Edited by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
DarkBlyth said:
"
You must be a genius, thinking to post that on the Xbox 360 board.

Since there aren't any emoticons, I was being sarcastic.

As for the topic, you could

A) Not play any arcade games

B) Send it back to them.
#30 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
LightYagami245 said:
"DarkBlyth said:
"

B) Send it back to them.
"
You must of misread. The only thing that does work for him is Arcade Games. Retail games do not work.
#31 Posted by filiwian (249 posts) -

Well that sucks. Can't help you there.

#32 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
"LightYagami245 said:
"DarkBlyth said:
"

B) Send it back to them.
"
You must of misread. The only thing that does work for him is Arcade Games. Retail games do not work.
"
I see. Then, he must sent it back to Microsoft.
#33 Posted by MforMaverick (119 posts) -

Let me tell you my story. Right now I'm waiting for my 360 to get back from those morons. 3 weeks ago my 360 got the stupid Red Rings of Death. So I call them, they ship me a box, I send it in....and get it back in a week. I turn it on and 15 mins later.....the stupid thing got the Red Rings of Death AGAIN!!!! So I ship it off to them again....now I'm waiting for it to get back. When I get my 360 back, I'm immediately going to GameStop and trading it in for an Elite! This type of stuff makes me hate microsoft....but im trying not too.....

#34 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
MforMaverick said:
"Let me tell you my story. Right now I'm waiting for my 360 to get back from those morons. 3 weeks ago my 360 got the stupid Red Rings of Death. So I call them, they ship me a box, I send it in....and get it back in a week. I turn it on and 15 mins later.....the stupid thing got the Red Rings of Death AGAIN!!!! So I ship it off to them again....now I'm waiting for it to get back. When I get my 360 back, I'm immediately going to GameStop and trading it in for an Elite! This type of stuff makes me hate microsoft....but im trying not too.....
"

Wow that sucks, just to let you know Elites aren't problem free. :-X There have been many with RRoDs, but its less then the standard I am assuming. And if MS wanted to really fix this problem, they would, but they aren't, for a reasonable market reason.
#35 Edited by shadowjak (456 posts) -

It seems like really only the newer 360's are safe from the RRoD. Elites can RRoD the same as a regular 360, better off just getting a new model.

Also, lawlz, PS3 isn't error free. One update caused 1000's of systems to brick. That's pretty bad if you ask me.

#36 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
shadowjak said:
"

It seems like really only the newer 360's are safe from the RRoD. Elites can RRoD the same as a regular 360, better off just getting a new model.

Also, lawlz, PS3 isn't error free. One update caused 1000's of systems to brick. That's pretty bad if you ask me.

"

LOL, it was a really small minority btw, no where near 50%, or even 5%... plus it didn't brick the system (ie RRoD) it just made you unable to see the screen, just a black screen. But the system itself was fine. Oh yeah, and that was not a system flaw like the 360, it was because so many people were trying to DL the patch at once that some people got squeezed in and had a corrupted patch file. So it was no where near as bad or as faulty as RRoD, just get the facts straight first. ;)
#37 Edited by shadowjak (456 posts) -
Sentry said:
"shadowjak said:
"

"

LOL, it was a really small minority btw, no where near 50%, or even 5%... plus it didn't brick the system (ie RRoD) it just made you unable to see the screen, just a black screen. But the system itself was fine. Oh yeah, and that was not a system flaw like the 360, it was because so many people were trying to DL the patch at once that some people got squeezed in and had a corrupted patch file. So it was no where near as bad or as faulty as RRoD, just get the facts straight first. ;)
"
Bricked=Black Screen. My PSP got bricked, the system turned on and everything but all I could see was a black screen and had to return it. And thousands out of 4.5 million(in america) really isn't much, but it's still enough.
#38 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
shadowjak said:
"Sentry said:
"shadowjak said:
"

"

"
Bricked=Black Screen. My PSP got bricked, the system turned on and everything but all I could see was a black screen and had to return it. And thousands out of 4.5 million(in america) really isn't much, but it's still enough.
"

It wasn't thousands lol, you just making that up? XD And bricked means your console goes down, as in a bricked system, but these systems were running just fine, the problem was the patch installer would get corrupted (due to so many people DLing at once), causing a black screen when booting up the system. But the system was just fine, and could be fixed by putting in another HDD, but most people rather had it sent to Sony.
#39 Edited by shadowjak (456 posts) -
Sentry said:
"shadowjak said:
"Sentry said:
"shadowjak said:
"

"

"
"

It wasn't thousands lol, you just making that up? XD And bricked means your console goes down, as in a bricked system, but these systems were running just fine, the problem was the patch installer would get corrupted (due to so many people DLing at once), causing a black screen when booting up the system. But the system was just fine, and could be fixed by putting in another HDD, but most people rather had it sent to Sony.
"
I did not know this and was misinformed by people with the error. As for number wise, I am not maknig it up, my ps3 editor was freaking ou about it to me. I apologize?
#40 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
shadowjak said:
"Sentry said:
"shadowjak said:
"Sentry said:
"shadowjak said:
"

"

"
"

"
I did not know this and was misinformed by people with the error. As for number wise, I am not maknig it up, my ps3 editor was freaking ou about it to me. I apologize?
"

Haha apologize!? Blasphemy!! XD You don't have to apologize im just letting you know it's not nearly the same as whats happening with 360 right now, and that what you hear around the net isn't exactly true, most of the time just stirred up bs. Just letting you know! =]
#41 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
Sentry said:
"shadowjak said:
"Sentry said:
"shadowjak said:
"Sentry said:
"shadowjak said:
"

"

"
"

"
"

Haha apologize!? Blasphemy!! XD You don't have to apologize im just letting you know it's not nearly the same as whats happening with 360 right now, and that what you hear around the net isn't exactly true, most of the time just stirred up bs. Just letting you know! =]
"
This is why you must trust official game sites a little more(because even they get it wrong a few times).
#42 Posted by pbhawks45 (736 posts) -

God, this thread is worrying me. Should be getting my 360 back today or tomorrow.

#43 Posted by cspiffo (860 posts) -

That sucks dude.  I'd be pissed too.  A number of things could have caused this from a shipping mishap to a boneheaded M$ error.  Just send it back and play kickball or somethin'.

#44 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
pbhawks45 said:
"God, this thread is worrying me. Should be getting my 360 back today or tomorrow.
"
Good luck.
#45 Posted by Dethfish (3630 posts) -

I called microsoft yesterday and started complaining and after a while they said send it in for a free repair and when I get it back I need to call them again so I can be compinsated for my wasted time plus the free month of XBL.

I love it that you have to take 15 minutes to convince them that it is actually broken.

#46 Posted by Absinthetic (172 posts) -

why?

its no secret. ms rushed production to get a year head start

#47 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
Absinthetic said:
"why?

its no secret. ms rushed production to get a year head start"

Yeah, we know already...
#48 Posted by Absinthetic (172 posts) -

my mistake

misinterpreted the problem

carry on

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.