X360+Avatars=RROD

#1 Posted by alkufai (23 posts) -

Well, all of you now about the big fucking problem with 360's RROD problem. The problem is that the 360 overheats, so now with the Avatars being shown in the dashboard it means that the GPU of the 360 have to be working hard to render the charechters wich means more heat. More heat=RROD. Now aperantly Microsoft have fixed this problems with better colling on the newer machines, but all those old ones still have this problem. Anyway, thats just some thing I was thinking about and are curious to see what you people think about it. And no I am not a 360 hater or anything, love my 360 just don¨t want it to die.

#2 Posted by epic_pets (1339 posts) -

Theres proably a slight more chance of that.

#3 Posted by Deviant930 (3 posts) -

Don't even worry about that. 

#4 Posted by Txheat (133 posts) -

Just a slight increase not a real big increase.

#5 Posted by x3ar (236 posts) -

its so small running a game for 8 hours is way more intensive

#6 Posted by xGenuinex (13 posts) -

You're worrying for nothing.

#7 Posted by MsCortana (429 posts) -

I highly doubt the addition of avatars will bring about the dreaded RROD.

#8 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

Thats older model 360s only and as long as its well ventilated, no RROD

#9 Posted by Echelon730 (89 posts) -

when you get a job and a computer engineer  I will listen untill then I laugh

#10 Posted by LuffyUzumaki (453 posts) -

sony fanboy trying to scare us

#11 Posted by alkufai (23 posts) -
Echelon730 said:
"when you get a job and a computer engineer  I will listen untill then I laugh
"
well I do have a jobb, and I know how to build computers, infact ive build around 30 pc:s and I¨ve fixed alot of X360 RROD. All I asked was your opinion on the subject, dont see who my jobb have anything to do with it.
#12 Posted by Gaius (129 posts) -

I'm choosing the option of not using the new dashboard system anyway.  Don't get me wrong, this is a step forward for Microsoft.  But I personally am still going to use the old dashboard.

#13 Posted by alkufai (23 posts) -
LuffyUzumaki said:
"sony fanboy trying to scare us"
I won't lie I do have a PS3 wich  I turn on every month to see if it works, because there nothing to play on it. But there is a shit ton of things to play on the 360 and thats why I love my 360.
#14 Posted by jNerd (2011 posts) -

Dude they're like polished N-64 Mii's that won't stress the GPU @ all. They aren't uber high-res textures or anything. It's a green polo...

#15 Posted by Jensonb (1706 posts) -

I doubt this'll be a huge issue. Drop in a bucket springs to mind.

#16 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

alkufai said:

"LuffyUzumaki said:
"sony fanboy trying to scare us"
I won't lie I do have a PS3 wich  I turn on every month to see if it works, because there nothing to play on it. But there is a shit ton of things to play on the 360 and thats why I love my 360.
"

Someone is in the dark... XD

Yeah I guess it would increase the CHANCES a bit, but I doubt its a big issue I wouldn't worry about it.
#17 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

so you have no proof this will happen just you think it will?
I've never had a problem with my pro launch or my elite so yeah...

#18 Posted by ElectricHaggis (630 posts) -

I think Microsoft would have considered this, but in saying that X360 + just about anything=RROD

#19 Posted by MOLE (321 posts) -

And how often do you spend on the dashboard?

I assume less than the games you actually play

#20 Posted by LiquidPrince (15845 posts) -

It's possible, but Microsoft probably did their research.

#21 Posted by Echelon730 (89 posts) -
alkufai said:
"Echelon730 said:
"when you get a job and a computer engineer  I will listen untill then I laugh
"
well I do have a jobb, and I know how to build computers, infact ive build around 30 pc:s and I¨ve fixed alot of X360 RROD. All I asked was your opinion on the subject, dont see who my jobb have anything to do with it.
"
I am a computer Tech, that doesn't make me an engineer, I didn't design the processors. I have built over 100 computers in my life. I am Comp TIA certified. But I am not going to say that a few more polys is going to kill  a processor. or even make it run hotter. Sure you would think so but if its so low that its still running with in the parameters of the CPU then its not going to run that hot. So I wouldn't even worry
#22 Posted by Blu_Magic (2021 posts) -

You're worrying too much.

#23 Edited by logson (521 posts) -

They wouldn't be doing the new avatars if it broke systems. Also,
alkufai said:

" The problem is that the 360 overheats"
That's a common misconception with what causes the RROD. When the 360 overheats, two of the four lights on the 360 blink red, not three. Overheating is temporary, and once the system cools off, you can play more. When three lights blink red (the RROD,) a critical hardware failure has occurred.
#24 Posted by geneticgamer (48 posts) -

No, RRoD doesn't happen to the newer xbox360's as much and even if you have an old one you can always sent it back in if it breaks

#25 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

As long as menus load faster (Damn you Xbox Marketplace!! :( -- ) Then I am fine.

#26 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

Hopefully, if this new dashboard will cause more heat there will be a way to go back to the old dashboard.

#27 Posted by DarkLegend (1387 posts) -

You would think so.

#28 Posted by Wolverine (4280 posts) -

Avatars are not that hard to generate lol

#29 Posted by Pikachu (449 posts) -

why worry about the RRoD if you take care of your game system how you should it won't happen. I'm almost at 2 years with my xbox360 and it has only froze on me once and that was due to a bad disc.

#30 Posted by lucas_kelly (769 posts) -

I don't think it will make that much difference at all. This thread doesn't make any sense anyway, you could say the same thing about games. Just because it is using a little bit more processing power doesn't mean its just going to cause a RROD, if a game hasn't done it by now, then how do you expect avatars to do it?

#31 Posted by NotaStalker (172 posts) -

meh, my 360 is gonna rrod sooner or later anyways

#32 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
lucas_kelly said:
"I don't think it will make that much difference at all. This thread doesn't make any sense anyway, you could say the same thing about games. Just because it is using a little bit more processing power doesn't mean its just going to cause a RROD, if a game hasn't done it by now, then how do you expect avatars to do it?
"

But games don't run on the dashboard, they are launched. This will be using the GPU more, even when just ont he dashboard; that was his point I think.

NotaStalker said:
"meh, my 360 is gonna rrod sooner or later anyways
"

Lmao, at least have some hope!
#33 Posted by Leewow (118 posts) -

if people buy the new 60gig it will feature the latest chip set which apparently hardly ever RROD's

#34 Posted by Taalon (112 posts) -

I'd rather not have them at all...I think they're stupid and a copy of Miis. But bring on the dashboard!

#35 Posted by LightYagami245 (1117 posts) -
x3ar said:
"its so small running a game for 8 hours is way more intensive
"
I agree, having a game running for 2 hours uses more heat compared to the avatars moving around the dashboard.
#36 Posted by khit (150 posts) -

Ya, um I don't think they would've overlooked something like that.

#37 Posted by Kazona (3059 posts) -

I really doubt that the avatars are going to make the GPU heat up enough for the console to red ring.

#38 Posted by Ehden (214 posts) -

my 2001 computer could render those avatars with minimal ease, I highly doubt the avatars are going to drastically raise the heat of the 360.

#39 Posted by t67443 (87 posts) -

Yes I will join the chorus of people and say no it will not cause RRoD. It's not like these Avatars are graphic intensive.

#40 Posted by bizsumpark182 (361 posts) -

Things will be fine. And if a 360 does RRoD Microsoft will replace it.

#41 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -
bizsumpark182 said:
"Things will be fine. And if a 360 does RRoD Microsoft will replace it.
"

Doesn't make it a good thing! XD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.