XBLA games you must play

#1 Posted by ashton (310 posts) -

I haven't really bother much with the games on XBLA. I only currently own Braid and after much praise on the bombcast and seeing Jeff's review of Shadow Complex I'm going to buy it.
Are there any other must own games on XBLA I should pick up?

#2 Posted by Nate (702 posts) -

If you enjoy Shadow Complex, I recommend Bionic Commando: Re-armed. I had a lot of fun with it, and the sound track really kicks ass. Download the demo and give it a shot. I hear Castle Crashers is also a must have, but I haven't got it yet.
#3 Posted by StarFoxA (5146 posts) -

Geometry Wars, Geometry Wars 2, Splosion Man, Castle Crashers, Space Invaders Extreme, Gunstar Heroes, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and (of course) Dash of Destruction.

#4 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" Geometry Wars, Geometry Wars 2, Splosion Man, Castle Crashers, Space Invaders Extreme, Gunstar Heroes, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and (of course) Dash of Destruction. "
Basically.
#5 Posted by Jeust (10550 posts) -

REZ and Soul Calibur, by many considered to be the perfect 3D brawler. 

#6 Posted by evanbrau (1162 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" Geometry Wars, Geometry Wars 2, Splosion Man, Castle Crashers, Space Invaders Extreme, Gunstar Heroes, Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and (of course) Dash of Destruction. "
Not much more to be said in this topic after this post. Perhaps Uno for the bizarre shit you'll see playing it.
#7 Edited by D (234 posts) -

If u like fighting games Marvel vs Capcom 2 is a great buy and unlimited replay value. I played it when it first came out in arcades and im playing it to this day.
#8 Posted by ptc (615 posts) -
  1. Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
  2. Pinball FX (400pts this week, so get it quick!)
  3. Aegis Wing (free, great multiplayer)
  4. Portal (if you don't already have Orange Box)
#9 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" Geometry Wars, Castle Crashers, Space Invaders Extreme, Gunstar Heroes,, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. "
These and Street Fighter 2 HD Turbo Remix and Ikaruga
#10 Posted by natetodamax (19192 posts) -

Battlefield 1943 and Shadow Complex.

#11 Posted by JJOR64 (18954 posts) -

Puzzle Quest, Castle Crashers, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, and Uno to name a few.

#12 Posted by SBYM (1219 posts) -

Pac-Man CE is quite good.

#13 Posted by StarFoxA (5146 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" @StarFoxA said:
" Geometry Wars, Castle Crashers, Space Invaders Extreme, Gunstar Heroes,, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. "
These and Street Fighter 2 HD Turbo Remix and Ikaruga "
So you edit out a lot of the good ones, eh? Doom is a classic, why did you remove that?
#14 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @StarFoxA said:
So you edit out a lot of the good ones, eh? Doom is a classic, why did you remove that? "
Don't like first person shooters...
#15 Posted by MiamiRedHawks (914 posts) -

Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Castle Crashers, and Shadow Complex are must buys.

#16 Posted by StarFoxA (5146 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" @StarFoxA said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @StarFoxA said:
So you edit out a lot of the good ones, eh? Doom is a classic, why did you remove that? "
Don't like first person shooters... "
Pffffft, that's not a good enough reason. You can't generalize and say "I don't like first person shooters." That's a very wide range of games, so you're bound to like some of them.
#17 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @StarFoxA said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @StarFoxA said:
Don't like first person shooters... "
Pffffft, that's not a good enough reason. You can't generalize and say "I don't like first person shooters." That's a very wide range of games, so you're bound to like some of them. "
Oh I do. Fallout 3, Metroid Prime (technically First Person Adventure), Bioshock, and Geist(oddly enough). but I didn't like Doom, and I don't like the vast majority of FPS.
#18 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Braid... 

That is all
#19 Posted by StarFoxA (5146 posts) -
@AgentJ: Wow, I heard Geist wasn't that good.
#20 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
" @AgentJ: Wow, I heard Geist wasn't that good. "
It certainly wasn't a great game, but damn it if I didn't get completely addicted to the multiplayer. 
#21 Posted by ptc (615 posts) -
@SBYM said:
"Pac-Man CE is quite good. "

Yep, forgot about that one.
#22 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -

Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

#23 Edited by Ubiquitous (571 posts) -

Pacman CE, Shadow Complex, GALAGA, Secret of Monkey Island. 

Castle Crashers is great if you have a friend or a few to play it with.
#24 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

Shadow complex, Portal, Castle Crashers and Ikaruga.

#25 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

I am definitely going to get Shadow Complex soon.  I've heard great things.

#26 Posted by ptc (615 posts) -

Peggle, if you haven't played it on any other platform
#27 Edited by egads (115 posts) -

Geometry Wars 2, Rez HD and BF 1943 are my recommendations.  People have had fun with Trials HD as well.  Whoops, I also should say Shadow Complex.

#28 Posted by VDV (6 posts) -

N+, also very addictive...

#29 Posted by dutch42 (533 posts) -

I've definitely had the most fun with shadow complex and peggle. trials hd was fun until it got bastard hard.

#30 Posted by Meltac (2001 posts) -

'Splosion Man
Castle Crashers
Sam & Max: Save The World
Sam & Max: Beyond Time & Space
Axel & Pixel
Geometry Wars 2
Bionic Commando: Rearmed (It kicks ass!)
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

... Dash of Destruction

#31 Posted by mhkjtha (429 posts) -

XBLA makes me wish i had a 360 :( id really like to play castle crashers and shadow complex

#32 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

PUZZLE QUEST MOTHER FUCKER!!!!!!11111

#33 Posted by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -
@StarFoxA said:
agreed but add Banjo kazooie if you've never played it before
#34 Posted by jonny_eh (58 posts) -

Settlers of Catan! (It's just called "Catan" on XBLA though)
The best board game on XBLA, so addictive!

#35 Posted by GunstarRed (5116 posts) -

The Maw an 'Splosion man are awesome... and the original Call of duty is coming very soon

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.