Xbox 360 "E" Audio Question

#1 Posted by MormonWarrior (2616 posts) -

So I've seen people complaining about the lack of an optical audio out on the new 360 design. This doesn't affect me as I use either PC speakers or a Sony bookshelf stereo system so I just use 3.5" wires. If I upgrade to this new design will I be able to just plug the headphone cord directly into the back of the Xbox since that's the size of the jack? It should work right? I want to know this before I upgrade from an Elite.

#2 Posted by VRMN (41 posts) -

I don't think so. That port is designed to pump out a composite video signal; I don't think it'd work with a headphone cable.

#3 Posted by YukoAsho (2078 posts) -

So I've seen people complaining about the lack of an optical audio out on the new 360 design. This doesn't affect me as I use either PC speakers or a Sony bookshelf stereo system so I just use 3.5" wires. If I upgrade to this new design will I be able to just plug the headphone cord directly into the back of the Xbox since that's the size of the jack? It should work right? I want to know this before I upgrade from an Elite.

You could always get a Y adapter from Radio Shack, plug the right/left stereo audio plugs in there, then plug the headphones there. That is, of course, assuming they let you get audio through there while video pumps through HDMI...

#4 Posted by MormonWarrior (2616 posts) -

Just a note in case anybody is wondering: I got an Xbox 360 e and you can totally plug in headphones straight into it. There's no volume control that way unfortunately, but that can be fixed with stereo speakers or a headphone booster.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.