Xbox 360 Hidden Gems

• 91 results
#1 Edited by chan05 (318 posts) -

Hey folks, 

i love to discover games that didn't get too much attention by most people but are great anyway. Do you have any tips for me? 

If i was asked the question i would answer: Eternal Sonata 

#2 Posted by hedfone (1751 posts) -

halo

#3 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -
#4 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

I can't really think of many titles that meet the criteria. Usually when Microsoft has a hit they smack you around the head with it until you buy it. It's multi-platform but i'd go with Alpha protocol. 

#5 Edited by ProfessorEss (7324 posts) -

Broken record inc...
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise.

#6 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.

#7 Posted by Evilsbane (4595 posts) -
@Death_Unicorn said:
" Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. "
Yea I think Rare kicked ass with that game, to bad no one bought it.
#8 Posted by najibu (54 posts) -

yeah.. eternal sonata was definitely one of them. other than that i think  

condemned 

viva pinata series (excluding party animals) 

i really can't think of anything else

#9 Edited by Obsidian (346 posts) -

Since you like Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia.

#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

Viva Pinata and Nuts & Bolts really showed that Rare can still make games just as amazing as they did in the past.  Not sure if they qualify as "hidden gems" but they did sell poorly, despite being really good.

#11 Posted by chan05 (318 posts) -

I would also say BlazBlue...great beat em up!!

#12 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

No 360 specific ones actually. 
The Darkness, Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Eternal Sonata. 

None of those were "hidden" though since people have heard about them but nobody  played them.  

#13 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

Tales of Vesparia is the best 'hidden gem' on the xbox 360. Probably the greatest RPG I've played over the past 5-7 years.

#14 Posted by Eidderf (506 posts) -

Alan Wake is good, it wasn't really hidden but people were kind of more interested in Red Dead at the time.

#15 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
" The Darkness is fantastic. "
This.  

Alan Wake is a good one also if you missed it.  

I also liked Stuntman: Ignition, but it's not a really good game.
#16 Posted by KarlPilkington (2722 posts) -

Does The Darkness hold up after 4 years though?

#17 Posted by WillyLo (302 posts) -

I recently picked up Singularity and thought that game was awesome.

#18 Posted by RaisingIndiana (76 posts) -

Singularity was middling. The story wasn't anything special. The time powers and guns were fun, though. Not worth a purchase. 

The Darkness still hold up well, they recently released info on a sequel. Ripping dudes' faces off from far away was pretty fun. Too bad Starbreeze isn't doing it. Id like to see them do something again. Riddick: Dark Athena was a solid attempt, but just couldn't match the love for the original.

#19 Posted by Delicious_Brains (170 posts) -

Lost Odyssey, I don't think it did amazingly sales wise but I really enjoyed it.

#20 Edited by oysteinBrenne (284 posts) -

Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy 
 King Kong 
 Kameo  
The Darkness 
 Lost Odyssey  
Overlord  
Hitman Blood Money 
 eternal sonata  
Condemned  
nail'd 
 Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom  
Vanquish  
DarkStar One: Broken Alliance  
Chromehounds  
Singularity 
 DeathSmiles 
 NIER  
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing  
Resonance of Fate  
Deadly Premonition 
 Mini Ninjas  
 IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey  
 BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger 
  X-Men Origins: Wolverine 
 Riddick: Dark Athena  
Ninja Blade 
 Tales of Vesperia  
Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit 
 Frontlines: Fuel of War  
Culdcept SAGA  
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja  
Beautiful Katamari 
 The Simpsons Game  
FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage  
Armored Core 4   
Stuntman Ignition    

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@oysteinBrenne: 

That looks like the only post that follows the rules of "nobody has heard of these games", but even then, I can see several that people have definitely heard of.
#22 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -
@jadeskye said:
" I can't really think of many titles that meet the criteria. Usually when Microsoft has a hit they smack you around the head with it until you buy it. It's multi-platform but i'd go with Alpha protocol.  "
I absolutely love that game despite its flaws.
#23 Posted by chan05 (318 posts) -
@oysteinBrenne: Wow thanks man thats a great great list!!!
#24 Edited by T0mF5 (929 posts) -

Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy  
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts  
Quantum of Solace  
Battlefield 1943  
RISK: Factions       
'Splosion Man   
Aegis Wing 

#25 Posted by TomCostello (22 posts) -

Tenchu Z is really awesome. 
Might be hard finding a copy however.

#26 Posted by Sin4profit (2924 posts) -

i'd have to say  Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts  . not really hidden as much as, "overlooked". 

Also Apache: Air Assault maybe decent. I may buy it out of curiosity. there's a demo of it on live to see if it's your kind of thing ( i had to swap the stick control to make it playable for me). i remember Jeff saying he was kinda interested in seeing it in a Mailbag video but never heard anything from him on it.

#27 Posted by CookieMonster (2416 posts) -

Banjo Kazooies: Nuts and Bolts Banjo Kazooies: Nuts and Bolts Banjo Kazooies: Nuts and Bolts Banjo Kazooies: Nuts and Bolts Banjo Kazooies: Nuts and Bolts Banjo Kazooies: Nuts and Bolts Banjo Kazooies: Nuts and Bolts

#28 Edited by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Tales of Vesperia (I want that PS3 port over here, dammit!)
Forza Motorsport 2 (Before the series took on a policy of appeasement to the masses and ruined itself. It's a pity that most people only played "the bad one", FM3)

#29 Edited by Icemael (6317 posts) -
#30 Edited by oysteinBrenne (284 posts) -
@T0mF5:  battlefield 1943 is the bestselling xbox live arcade game and both  RISK: Factions and Splosion Man  are some of the best selling xbla games as well  how the fuck is that a hidden gem do you even know what a hidden gem is? there is still a shitton of pepol playing splode and risk online  and its pointless to put up xbla games they get burried so fucking deep by so much mediocre duel stick shoters and generic platformers and old arcade ports that most of the great games will be forgotten in a month
#31 Posted by Portis (1287 posts) -
@Death_Unicorn said:
" Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. "
This! 

Great game no one bought. Such a shame.
#32 Posted by oysteinBrenne (284 posts) -
@chan05: thanks :) spent alot of time trying to come up with that list 
#33 Posted by oysteinBrenne (284 posts) -
@Chabbs0: yes it still holds up just finished it 3 months ago stil an amazing game even if the shooting wasnt all that great 
#34 Posted by JoeMarsden (303 posts) -
Chromehounds, though don't go buying it now - the multiplayer servers went down the and the singleplayer is essentially just one big boring tutorial.
#35 Posted by Commisar123 (1791 posts) -

Deadly premonition for sure
#36 Posted by T0mF5 (929 posts) -
@oysteinBrenne: It's not, but I saw that the OP's most played game is Bad Company 2 and I thought he would enjoy Battlefield 1943.
#37 Posted by EuanDewar (4899 posts) -
@TomCostello said:
" Tenchu Z is really awesome. Might be hard finding a copy however. "
If by "awesome" you mean "broken" and "outdated in almost every way" then yes. Awesome.
#38 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Velvet Assassin

#39 Posted by chan05 (318 posts) -

Ok i also want to post a list now: 

Mafia 2  
Eternal Sonata 
BlazBLue 
Darksiders (not sure if that counts..i think some people actually bought it...its great) 
Alone In The Dark 
Baja: Edge of Control 
Naruto Rise of a Ninja 
Gray Matter 
R.U.S.E. 
Sherlock Holmes 
Venetica 
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

#40 Posted by gunstar (251 posts) -

Condemned 2: Bloodshot is easily my favorite game on the 360. I'd play the first one first, just to find out how much they got right with the sequel. They're both like 10 bucks now. 

Fucking EDF 2017 as well, shoot a bunch of bugs in their giant faces, and robots in their dicks. 

#41 Posted by oysteinBrenne (284 posts) -
@chan05:  Baja: Edge of Control  isnt all that great  Gray Matter  just came out days ago maby you should wait and see before calling it a hidden gem  Mafia 2  sold 700k so i dont think that is a hidden gem and darksider sold 800 k   
Alone In The Dark is a very bad game    Sherlock Holmes  games have always been mediocre so calling it a gem might not be the right thing  Venetica on the 360 is poor if this was a list of pc hidden gems that would fit  but the 360 version is not very good  

i am not trying to be a asshole i bet you can find alot of negative things about my list  
#42 Posted by Heartagram (1181 posts) -

Both of the Condemned Games are awesome

#43 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Halo Reach

#44 Posted by buzz_clik (6972 posts) -

Earth Defense Force 2017.

#45 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

As Icemael said Wartech: Senko no Ronde. That game is fantastic. 50% fighting game, 50% bullet hell, 100% awesome (yeah, I just did that). It's probably the most hidden gem on the xbox 360.

Also this game is going for like ~$10 on amazon.com so you have no reason not to own this.

Oh, and also Project Sylpheed. It's basically Gundam (Seed-ish era if you ask me) but you fly a ship instead of a humanoid robot. It's a ton(ne?) of fun, and also $10 on amazon.

Geez guys, go buy these.

#46 Edited by chan05 (318 posts) -
@oysteinBrenne: actually Gray Matter came out some months ago in my country. didnt know its new in the usa. to the other games..yes with mafia 2 and darksiders you are right.i still think they both have performed waaaay under their potential. and about baja, alone in the dark and venetica..well thats a matter of personal taste...i really liked them. but i can see that they are games most people dont like...therefore the word HIDDEN gem fits it i guess :D. Some people can find something they like in it...most people dont...still to me they are gems ;)
#47 Posted by Mesklinite (804 posts) -
@JerichoBlyth said:
" Tales of Vesparia is the best 'hidden gem' on the xbox 360. Probably the greatest RPG I've played over the past 5-7 years. "
This
#48 Posted by Stealthmaster86 (649 posts) -

I was going to say Alan Wake, but it's already been said. So Bayonetta. If you can handle the over the top ridiculousness, you can find a challenging and fun game.  Seriously, I'm not kidding, It's fucking nuts.    
#49 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Final Fantasy 13. Not really hidden, more like hated for all the wrong reasons. Give it a rent at least.
#50 Edited by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -
@JerichoBlyth said:

" Tales of Vesparia is the best 'hidden gem' on the xbox 360. Probably the greatest RPG I've played over the past 5-7 years. "

I have been trying to buy that game for the past few weeks, but the only option is ebay and i always get outbid because the price goes to extortionate levels. 

I would also say more people should play Vanquish, that game is amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.