Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Xbox 360 not displaying video

Avatar image for thecappuccinobandit
    TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

So I was playing Street Fighter IV on my 360 when all of a sudden all the colors went weird, so I thought I'd restart the Xbox. But when I did this the sound of the Xbox title screen played out of my speakers but no image appeared on my TV. I have an Xbox 360 Elite and my video runs through HDMI and my speakers plugged into that audio out put thing on the back of the Xbox. I've tried everything to get it to work but nothing has.

Has any one else had this problem, and if so any suggestions on fixing it or is my Xbox just fucked? 
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

Your HDMI cable has probably come dislodged. Just stick it back in there.

TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've tried that repeatedly I've even tried it on multiple TV's in my house and it hasn't worked

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

What brand is your HDMI cable?

TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's the one that came with the elite. So it a Microsoft one. 

Caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Caddy

I just had this problem, and it turns out it was my 360. I don't know the specifics, because I am not sending it back to MS (out of warranty.) Try and check with another cable and see if it is just a faulty cable, and if it's not, it's a 360 problem, I'm afraid.

TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Caddy said:
    "I just had this problem, and it turns out it was my 360. I don't know the specifics, because I am not sending it back to MS (out of warranty.) Try and check with another cable and see if it is just a faulty cable, and if it's not, it's a 360 problem, I'm afraid. "
    Mine just went out of warranty so I'm unsure what to do. Think I might just send it back to Microsoft. What did you end up doing are you 360-less? 
    Gunnarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Gunnarson

Mine just did the same thing. I had pulled out Oblivion and was trying to get some missing achievements, when the colors went all funky. I exited to the the dashboard and they still looked messed up. Well, I turned the machine off completely, went to bed, and when I tried to turn it on today, the sound comes through just fine but there's no video. And no red lights to indicate a problem.

Oh, and I'm using the Component cables, not the HDMI (I have a circa-2005 manufactured on date)

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Shadow

same thing happened to me.  Your 360's video card just bit the big one.  Either repair it yourself or get Microsoft to do it.  Either way, it's going to cost money to fix unless you're still under that year warentee.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Gizmo

Sounds like a E74 to me, send it to Microsoft, trust me, don't go down the independent repair route, you will regret it.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shadow
    Gizmo said:
    Sounds like a E74 to me, send it to Microsoft, trust me, don't go down the independent repair route, you ... [more]

There's nothing E74 about this error.  I went through this exact same confusing "wtf just happened?" scenario with searching the interwebs for anyone who knew what the hell just happened to my Xbox the same week Burnout Paradise came out....DAMN that sucked.  Anyway, at least you can count yourself lucky that there isn't much coming out this next month.  Anyway, trust me: it's the video card.
    TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadow said:
    Gizmo said: Sounds like a E74 to me, send it to Microsoft, trust me, don't go down the independent repair ... [more]
    Shadow said:
    Gizmo said: Sounds like a E74 to me, send it to Microsoft, trust me, don't go down the independent repair ... [more]
    Shadow said:
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By keyhunter

The video card probably died.

TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what just happened to my last post.

TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but I was saying would it just be better in the long run if i just got a JASPER arcade unit and put my hard drive on it.? 

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shadow
    TheCappuccinoBandit said:
    but I was saying would it just be better in the long run if i just got a JASPER arcade ... [more]

Dunno.  If your warentee's up, then just buy a new one.  With the controllers, bonus games, memory card, etc that come with an arcade unit, it's actually a better value.  If you have to pay for repairs, just get the new one and do something cool with your now useless husk of a system.
    TheCappuccinoBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadow said:
    TheCappuccinoBandit said: but I was saying would it just be better in the long run if i just got a ... [more]
    I think I'm gonna buy a new unit. thanks for the advice.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Good luck with your new unit, too bad about your video card.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.