Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Xbox 360 not recognizing discs?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#1  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Hey folks- 

Looking for some technical advice from anyone who might have the know-how or has heard of this problem before.  I was watching a movie earlier and shut off the system.  When I turned it back on, any disc I put in the disc tray cannot be recognized - doesn't matter if it's a game or a movie.  My warranty just expired in August, and I don't know when I'll be able to get out of town to get it fixed.  Has anyone heard of this problem?  Any tips or suggestions? 

Please keep the responses to technical advice ONLY.  Thanks in advance.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

You know, this happened to me a couple weeks ago and freaked me out because I thought my 3rd Xbox had broke, but it went away and has been working fine ever since. I don't know why it happened or why it stopped.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @TheGreatGuero:

If you can think of anything you did differently, let me know.  I'm at my wit's end here.
    erik_wolff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By erik_wolff

My box did that back in the summer. I ended up having to send it off, and they ended up replacing the whole Xbox. My original Xbox has RROD'd twice and I've gotten the same one back. This time it was an elite. Unfortunately, even though they replaced the Xbox, I only get the rest of my original warranty on it which runs out in Janurary.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Reuben

If you want to fix it. Just type XBOX 360 POT Calibration on www.google.com and download the PDF file. I guarantee it will fix your problem ;) 

Basically you're upping the power of your dvd laser to 9000 (not literally) so it can read discs.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @Reuben:
    What's the legality of that?  I don't want to have my 360 bricked just because I'm trying to save a few bucks.
    Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Reuben
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    " @Reuben: What's the legality of that?  I don't want to have my 360 bricked just because I'm trying to save a few bucks. "
    I've fixed my xbox 360's dvd drive doing that and about 3 other xbox's (my friends who all had the same problem) 

I even gave instructions to a friend over xbox live on how to do it. With my instructions he was even able to fix it. So I'd say it's about 99%. Also you can just replace your DVD drive if you don't want to do this fix...with eBay. 

My 360's dvd drive has been fine ever since. It's been about almost a year now that I think about it, holy crap.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw: You know, I remember what I did now. It was doing it with Modern Warfare 2, which was new so it should have read it. Anyway, I just blew into the 360's disc tray like it was an NES, and that helped it. Probably just some dust build up on the lens, you know? Hopefully that's just the case for you too. Go ahead and give it a shot. Relive the glory days of blowing your machines.
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Thanks, guys.  Tried a little home repair without taking out the drive or anything drastic, and it's still not working.  Going to take it in for repairs when I can afford it.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

The issue is that there is a magnet inside that gets knocked out of place sometimes.  We have a few Xbox consoles that like to do this "don't recognize the disc" crap at work as well.  There are a couple of ways to try and fix this: 

1. Tapping the top of the Xbox while the disc is spinning can knock that magnet back in place.  Here is a video showing the trick itself.  I can confirm that this works.
    2. When you open the tray, then start to close the tray again, use your hand to push the tray in quickly when the tray is about halfway closing.  I don't know why...but it works every damn time.
    3. Take your 360 apart and retighten the bolts on the drive.  There are videos on YouTube, but I have personally never done that stuff.
    4. Ask dice66111.  He works on Xbox 360 consoles at his job.
    woodierock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By woodierock
    @jakob187: Right before reading this thread I registered my Xbox to get repaired because of the disc drive problem.  But closing the tray faster than it usually does loaded the disc immediately!  I'm sure this probably isn't a permanent solution but I appreciate this tip because it worked like a charm.
    JoshMcC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By JoshMcC

Sparky it sounds like you had the same issue I had - I had two weeks of warranty left so I sent it back to MS and they replaced the DVD drive and sent it back. But it took quite a bit of troubleshooting from MS before they would let me send it back.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @jakob187: The second one sounds funny. I wonder why it works...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.