Xbox 360's Latest Dashboard Update Arrives December 6

• 115 results
#51 Edited by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

@CptBedlam: Obviously you're a little oversensitive if this upsets you. The world around you is nothing but one big fucking advertisement. How do you get through your day? Do you get pissed when you see billboards on the highway or commercial breaks on tv? Don't ever go to NYC if ads piss you off. Anyway, I'm done with this argument, it's stupid. The fact is you are accessing a network owned by MS. They control the content according to TOS you agreed to. No amount of complaining is going to change that.

#52 Posted by Dr_Gnomage (16 posts) -

@upwarDBound said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Klaimore said:

Could storage about time, and wow remember the faceplates for your old Xbox that was something.

My old Xbox? The original Xbox was just black as far as I remember.

And green. Don't forget the green.

wasnt there a crystal version?

#53 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (522 posts) -

@Nymphonomicon said:

@ICryCauseImEmo: To Paris Hilton? What kind of sick freak would do that?

ugay bro?

#54 Posted by Humanity (9373 posts) -

@EvilKatarn said:

@AgnosticJesus said:

To make you happy Microsoft should have scrapped absolutely everything so that when you turned the Xbox on it was nothing but a DOS command prompt.

But how cool would that be?

I remember using DOS, no it wouldn't be very cool at all.

#55 Edited by Hameyadea (348 posts) -

So the new XBox Dashboard update will change existing owners' machines to Paris Hilton plates, and it order to either power up or shut down the X360, you'll need to press her b@@b sideways? What's next, David Hasselhof and.... Never mind.

#56 Posted by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

@ICryCauseImEmo: Finding Paris Hilton ugly makes you gay? Her face is nasty, her tits are worse, and her personality and attitude suck as much dick as she did in "One Night in Paris". What's that say about you and your taste in women bro?

#57 Posted by MetalBaofu (1393 posts) -

@AgnosticJesus said:

@CptBedlam: Obviously you're a little oversensitive if this upsets you. The world around you is nothing but one big fucking advertisement. How do you get through your day? Do you get pissed when you see billboards on the highway or commercial breaks on tv? Don't ever go to NYC if ads piss you off. Anyway, I'm done with this argument, it's stupid. The fact is you are accessing a network owned by MS. They control the content according to TOS you agreed to. No amount of complaining is going to change that.

The main thing for me is that I think the ads could be handled better. They don't bother me much at all, but I'm not gonna pretend that the layout couldn't be better. Have video stuff in the video tab, music in the music tab, etc. On the default tab, it looks odd to have some big ad pop up in the middle square and whatever game you have in the system be in the little ass square in the corner. You can have ads and make the layout more user friendly/pleasant to look at...it doesn't have to be one or the other.

#58 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

@yevinorion said:

@CptBedlam said:

I'm in the beta and all I have to say is: prepare for the advertisement overkill.

Aw man, I was hoping this would reduce some of the clutter.

It's there but it's seriously not that bad. The interface is fucking fast and you can at least get straight to what game you have in the tray right away, I noticed that people seem to forget that you can boot straight into the game if you wanted to avoid the dash altogether. The main highlight is the cloud storage which is like 500 something mb.

#59 Posted by MajorToms (366 posts) -

It bothers me to no end that you pay $60/yr for xbox live gold, yet you are still forced to see all the advertisements. I mean, I get that they get ad revenue, but all Gold does is give you online abilities?! They make enough money off the ads that online should be free. It's ludicrous!

#60 Posted by WalkerD (462 posts) -

@AgnosticJesus: You sir are full of shit. The entire dash is covered in ads, in fact, at the center of every tab is one giant ad, with the content you're looking for relegated to tiny little squares on the left. Even when your 360 is offline, you get a huge "SIGN IN TO XBOX LIVE SO WE CAN SHOW YOU MORE ADS MOTHERFUCKER" right on the main page.

#61 Posted by StriderNo9 (1097 posts) -

@ICryCauseImEmo: I didn't need her for that.

#62 Posted by Stimpack (889 posts) -

@WiFiPirate said:

The face plate for that 360 is just Paris Hilton side boob. That is hilarious on many different levels.

Side boob is all Paris Hilton has.

#63 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Wow guys, remember Paris Hilton? And remember the Gameloft game that was supposed to be based on her?

#64 Posted by Hosstile17 (764 posts) -

The new dashboard is offensive. Every page has a large center ad that is bigger than the options to play games. They all scroll and they are present on nearly every tab.

Not like this..... Not like this.

#65 Posted by RobertOrri (1132 posts) -

I look forward to even more ads.

#66 Posted by risseless (477 posts) -

Hey guys... are there ads in the new update?

#67 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (522 posts) -

@AgnosticJesus said:

@ICryCauseImEmo: Finding Paris Hilton ugly makes you gay? Her face is nasty, her tits are worse, and her personality and attitude suck as much dick as she did in "One Night in Paris". What's that say about you and your taste in women bro?

If i'm not mistaken it states that I enjoy the female body while you enjoy the male body?

#68 Posted by Taefarinas (88 posts) -

Will this be everywhere, or will it release first in the US?

#69 Posted by ptys (1964 posts) -

For a company that claims it's all about the open user experience with Windows, Microsoft really know how to run a fully locked system with Xbox. Would be nice to see some customisable themes with the next update.

#70 Posted by RazielCuts (2958 posts) -

I'm interested by this 'beacons for coordinating multiplayer games' - wonder what that means?

#71 Posted by ShaunassNZ (2128 posts) -

I'm in the program! Have I turned on my 360 in months? No. Have I decided to turn it on and download the update? No. Do I care? No.

#72 Posted by EJStyleS (32 posts) -

There are ads. Everywhere. They scroll on a carousel so there are more ads on each page. On each page there are between 5 and 8 tiles. On pages with 5 tiles (including 'home'), 3 are ads, including the large central carousel. On 'video', there are 7 tiles. 4 are ads and 1 is MS-created video content, Inside Xbox. On each page, only the tiles along the far left side of the screen provide user functionality. The rest are adverts. I am sad as nearly none of these ads are (currently) promoting great offers, obscure Indie games or uncovering unique Live content. Instead they are for Gears 3, Skyrim, Halo, Kinect Disneyland, Kung Fu Panda 2 and MW3. Instead I am told I can buy Green Lantern for 1770 points. Please, Microsoft, you could use these for GOOD.

#73 Posted by theodacourt (542 posts) -

Paris Hilton on an 360 isn't funny, just sad. And I'm sad that, apparently, the most appropriate image for this story is a picture of a near naked girl. There are other websites for that stuff. If your audience finds it hilarious then I guess you should keep doing it though I suppose, I just don't want to be a part of it.

#74 Posted by kerikxi (542 posts) -

@theodacourt said:

Paris Hilton on an 360 isn't funny, just sad. And I'm sad that, apparently, the most appropriate image for this story is a picture of a near naked girl. There are other websites for that stuff. If your audience finds it hilarious then I guess you should keep doing it though I suppose, I just don't want to be a part of it.

Uptight much?

#75 Posted by piropeople13 (399 posts) -

@MannAlive said:

If you love ads, you'll LOVE the new dashboard. Each page has one tiny button for content you want to access, and the rest of the screen is ads. There are like 8 tabs, but without the ads, the stuff you actually want would fit on a single page.

yeah the ad situation can only get worse. What an eyesore.

#76 Posted by Demoskinos (14871 posts) -
@ICryCauseImEmo: I would think paris would have the opposite effect....
#77 Edited by mnzy (2914 posts) -

@theodacourt said:

How did you make it to 138 posts on this site?

Also, I'm really liking the new dashboard, the ads are totally fine. I'm in Europe, though.

#78 Edited by Brad (3018 posts) -

Didn't you guys agree to an NDA when you signed up for the preview program?

Edit: I see DarthB beat me to it, but come on.

Staff
#79 Posted by mlarrabee (2967 posts) -

*Sigh*

Well, at least I know the date.

#80 Posted by Will_M (345 posts) -

@ptys said:

For a company that claims it's all about the open user experience with Windows, Microsoft really know how to run a fully locked system with Xbox. Would be nice to see some customisable themes with the next update.

A few weeks ago I just figured out how to set my own custom background. I was so happy with myself. And then i saw that the bottom half was covered up with the stupid white fade overshadowed by stupid boxes.

#81 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: All of them id imagine. When you put it in a game and it pops up which storage device to save to, if you have cloud saving enabled then you could choose to save to there.

#82 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Rawrz:

So does that mean saves can be transferred to the cloud?

#83 Posted by theodacourt (542 posts) -

@kerikxi: Oh, I love the boobs, I just don't go to video game websites to see some. They don't have to be in everything, imagine boob shaped sliced bread? Wait, maybe that's a bad example...

I don't see the funny side because I don't find the image itself funny, and there wasn't any funny remarks about the image in the story. I think I'm allowed to voice my concerns and wariness.

@mnzy: I wrote posts 138 times is how I did it. I don't comment on things that I can't add something to or I don't find interesting. You'll have to tell me your secret for getting to 2,713 posts.

#84 Edited by DeanoXD (608 posts) -

Saves can be transferred in the same manner as before when moving say hard drive to usb stick all the same rules apply. ie some can be copied some have to be moved. But the system does keep a synced cache save on your hard drive as well as the cloud.

Personally hate the new dash board the ad's are bullshit the UI is something horrible, but i love the cloud saves and being able to have my profile on more than one 360 at a time. Other than that i think this is designed for house wives that use kinect

#85 Posted by Longevitous (124 posts) -

There has to be some inside joke about that pic, or it could just be that's a 6 year old picture of a 360. Whatever

#86 Posted by EightBitShik (1334 posts) -

@EJStyleS: With it being a Beta that you are probably not supposed to talk about they are probably just using base images for content that is out because a limited amount of people see it. When it's launched officially I am sure they will be different if not then you would be 100% correct.

#87 Posted by BBQBram (2238 posts) -

Nice, hope it keeps the minimal look.

#88 Edited by KaneRobot (1635 posts) -

The people bitching about the ads are people that will never be happy until there are zero ads at all. While that would be nice, it's sadly unrealistic at this point. Microsoft thinks we should have to see ads even though we pay for this service, so we do.

The new dashboard is significantly better than the current one, both on an ad basis and overall functionality basis. Much less clutter and scrolling to get to what you're after, and that's all that matters. Yes, each "section" has one ad in the middle that scrolls through several different images. SO WHAT. It's better than having your fucking XBox default to a ROW of stuff that is half ads like it does now and sticking other random ads in your other rows. With the new dash, when you start your console you can click 1 button and start your game. That by itself is enough to praise in this update.

This is a significant step towards a better dashboard, stop complaining about it.

#89 Posted by Rawrz (590 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Yeah it works the same as if you were moving the save file from the hard drive to a USB stick or memory unit.

#90 Posted by Silver-Streak (1363 posts) -

@KaneRobot: I can understand where you're coming from, but saying that there's no option but to have ads is untrue. A good majority of the XBL fee is pure profit for Microsoft, yet because people just deal with the ads being there, we're also getting MS additional free money.

While it is highly unlikely to have the ads go away at this point due to complacency, had more people been more vocal about the issues with it over the history of the console, it's possibly they wouldn't have gotten to the point they're at today.

There is no reason why the interface needs ads. If you want to show ads, show it specifically in the store or a specific "what's new" panel, like the XMB on the PS3. At least Sony got that part right.

#91 Posted by jaks (244 posts) -

Can't wait to see what new features they hide behind the paywall.

#92 Posted by Stefan (519 posts) -

@upwarDBound: @upwarDBound said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@Klaimore said:

Could storage about time, and wow remember the faceplates for your old Xbox that was something.

My old Xbox? The original Xbox was just black as far as I remember.

And green. Don't forget the green.

there were also a blue, a clear green, a clear crystal and a super rare white special edition.

#93 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

Too bad my 360 died a few weeks ago and is now in a landfill.

#94 Posted by animathias (1186 posts) -

@KaneRobot said:

With the new dash, when you start your console you can click 1 button and start your game. That by itself is enough to praise in this update.

Is that true? Forgive me, but I know nearly nothing about this new update. If it's true that this new dash starts on My Xbox instead of the Spotlight, I'll be one happy camper. I couldn't care less about ads on the dashboard, but starting on the Spotlight section has been an annoyance for a long time.

#95 Posted by Pitta (182 posts) -

MannAlive is full of shit. Period. I'm also in the preview, and the only 'ads' are in the bottom right corner of each 'tab'. The rest of the so called ads are deals and info on new dlc or movies, etc.

#96 Posted by Dethfish (3670 posts) -

Now that's what I call a sex-box. Am I right?

#97 Posted by AtomicEdge (309 posts) -

Yeah, cloud storage works like a USB drive, but it also creates a local cache of the whole amount of cloud space (512mb) so you can still access your saves when you are offline. Also, you can only move save data over, so that 512 seems to go a long way.

#98 Posted by Superfriend (1557 posts) -

@AgnosticJesus said:

I know, I already got a call from Major Nelson and Steve Ballmer.

Yeah, they´re fucking MAD right now!!

Honestly, this whole NDA thing is getting a bit out of hand, don´t you people agree? It´s like, you can´t talk about anything that hasn´t been released in this industry. Really annoying. I go to videogame sites to read actual coverage of video games, not just "Oh I wish I could tell you about this cool thing, but you have to wait until next week or something when we post the official press release that you could read ANYWHERE on the internet on our site."

@Brad and crew: I wanna see you guys fight the power some more and tell these NDAs to get bent!!

#99 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

@SevenRobotCats said:

@ptys said:

A few weeks ago I just figured out how to set my own custom background. I was so happy with myself. And then i saw that the bottom half was covered up with the stupid white fade overshadowed by stupid boxes.

Yeah, the white fog covering half of my background bothered me for a long time and I was hoping the new dashboard would fix this. But nope.

#100 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

You people really do think you're entitled, don't you? We'll see what you guys want. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. I really can't imagine what you wanted from the Super Nintendo... Science help us all.........

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.