Xbox 720 document leak reveals $299 console with Kinect 2 for 201

#1 Posted by GenghisJohn (256 posts) -
#2 Edited by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

Please at least post that the document is 2 years old. That's a very important detail to keep in mind. Plans are flexible when dealing with at least 3 major sides of competition.

Wow though, estimates of 100 million sold? I guess by the very end of that 10 year window, sure... but that's still bold. And if they reach that $300 launch cost, I imagine they'll be rubbing up against the WiiU in terms of price.

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

reddit, the most trusted source in NEWS.

#4 Edited by aquamarin (555 posts) -

The thing that I've been pondering about the 720 is that if they ship it with Kinect are they gonna mandate all developers to use it to "enhance" the experience since the install base will be 100%. If this turns out to be the case and gaming will now consist of yelling and making gestures at your squadmates, I think I'll pass. Since Move was a failure and if Sony's next hardware doesn't have any crap like that combined with a presumably cleaner interface than Microsofts, I'm holding out hope for PS4.

#5 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

It's actually from The Verge. Insert your Verge joke here.

#6 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

@Dagbiker said:

It's actually from The Verge. Insert your Verge joke here.

I'm constantly on the Verge of taking that site out of my bookmarks. Hey-oh!

#7 Posted by KarlPilkington (2759 posts) -

Who knew the Xbox 720 came out in 201?

#8 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

@KarlPilkington said:

Who knew the Xbox 720 came out in 201?

Unearthed from the bed of the Mesopotamia.

#9 Posted by EpicSteve (6494 posts) -

Stop reading this garbage.

#10 Posted by Bollard (5666 posts) -

If it launches next year at that price there is no way it will even be more powerful than the computer I built 2 years ago. Might be slightly impressive for console players but overall a giant disappointment. Clearly aimed at the casual audience.

#11 Edited by HiCZoK (244 posts) -

@braveortega said:

The thing that I've been pondering about the 720 is that if they ship it with Kinect are they gonna mandate all developers to use it to "enhance" the experience since the install base will be 100%. If this turns out to be the case and gaming will now consist of yelling and making gestures at your squadmates, I think I'll pass. Since Move was a failure and if Sony's next hardware doesn't have any crap like that combined with a presumably cleaner interface than Microsofts, I'm holding out hope for PS4.

yes. The document states that since 2013/2014 They want to release products(games) that will ONLY be possible on 720, so we know what that means

#12 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

@HiCZoK said:

@braveortega said:

yes. The document states that since 2013/2014 They want to release products(games) that will ONLY be possible on 720, so we know what that means

Their only going to run on Micrsoft Silverlight?

#13 Edited by mitsuko_souma (135 posts) -

Microsoft is going to try to appeal equally to both the casual/family market that play Wii and the serious gamers that prefer 360 & PS3. You can see they are already doing this by shoving Kinect down our throats at every chance. It's going to turn out to be a colossal failure because it'll be worse than both of the other consoles at their respective strengths.

PS4 all the way.

#14 Posted by Ares42 (2731 posts) -

Looked through the document earlier. Seems like mostly just concept stuff (if it's actually real). The one thing that stood out to me though was that it repeatedly says that the next console would be pushed with the "latest and greatest gaming content (Halo, Fable and GOW)". If they really plan on building their gaming future by just constantly redoing those franchises as the core attraction I can't say I feel much excitement for getting a new console.

#15 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

300$ well i guess all the wii u haters are going to get a weak console as well.

#16 Posted by adoggz (2070 posts) -

That sounds like total bullshit.

#17 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

So, all the articles about this refer back to the exact same link at scribd for a file called XBox-720-9-24-Checkpoint-Draft-1. Of course, this doc is long gone. Does anybody have a copy of it. I'd like to see it for myself, rather than rely on what other people have written about it.

I also understand that the document is *dated* 2010, but was uploaded less than a month ago. Can anyone who saw the actual link on scribd confirm that too? This all seems really fishy to me...

#18 Posted by big_jon (5743 posts) -

The specs also sound too crazy for 299.

#19 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

@braveortega said:

I'm constantly on the Verge of taking that site out of my bookmarks. Hey-oh!

Nice job, duder. This is all I needed from this thread.

#20 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I call bullshit.

#21 Edited by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

#22 Posted by Bulby33 (599 posts) -

Total BS.

#23 Posted by Master_Funk (738 posts) -

No fucking way is that launching at 299. Kinect glasses dont sound real to me.

#24 Posted by Kerned (1170 posts) -

@braveortega: I did recently take that site out of my bookmarks, and I certainly won't be visiting Polygon when it launches. I'm tired of McElroy and Gies bullying people whenever someone dares to criticize them.

#25 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

Well, if it's true that it comes with kinect 2, then i think i'm gonna go back to the Playstation brand next gen.

Loved the PS1, and PS2, but this gen the 360 was the better choice for me.

I don't care about the Kinect, i would be fine if it was optional for a couple of games, like it is now with the 360, but, if they're gonna put one in every box, that means they'll force developers to integrate it into every game.

And, i just want no part in that.

Unless Kinect 2 is a major evolution of the technology, and everything works like it's suppose to, and even then...

I'm not sure.

So, i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway, if both Sony and Microsoft fuck up next gen, i guess i'll finally get a gaming PC.

#26 Posted by VierasTalo (856 posts) -

I like the part about shooting cowboys in the head using scifi ninja glasses.

#27 Posted by Ares42 (2731 posts) -

@big_jon: Well, considering they're going for an "all-in-one" box, it's not unlikely they'll use the same subscription model they already introduced with the $99 xbox this year.

#28 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

If in fact Sony does decide to release a next-gen console, I hope they say "fuck it" and release a technically capable system around the 400 - 500 dollar mark.

#29 Posted by big_jon (5743 posts) -

@Ares42: I was thinking that too.

#30 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

I am not buying this.

#31 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

There's probably some truth to it. Since it got taken down the likelihood of it being true does increase quite a bit. But some things seem like a 'we'll do anything to win, here's an insanely low price for this insanely expensive box' that would bankrupt any company. But I imagine things have changed and Microsoft will lose the next generation again somehow.

#32 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

Crossposting:

@JRock3x8 said:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:RFJSXQXX56SDXE62FMQJXIHO3EV52R4A&dn=92821757-XBox-720-9-24-Checkpoint-Draft-1.pdf&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80

file still out there :)

#33 Posted by Lukeweizer (2709 posts) -

I read a quote from the "leaked document" that it is going to be "4-6 times more awesome than Xbox 360." Who the fuck makes that calculation? And what the fuck does that even mean? I fucking hate Marketing.

#34 Posted by TheHBK (5508 posts) -

ARM processors? BULLSHIT. There is no way they go with ARM processors, not if they are serious about gaming.

#35 Posted by sBlacksmith (77 posts) -

I for one see potential in AR glasses combined with 3D scanners such as an improved kinect. With google's glass project thing going on it's pretty interesting stuff.

The bottleneck is how unless the tech is specifically crafted for hardcore games ONLY, it takes a very long time to be actually put to good use..

#36 Posted by damswedon (3196 posts) -
#37 Posted by PenguinDust (12558 posts) -

From what I've read elsewhere this was a plan Microsoft was kicking around, but it's also outdated. It's more of a wishlist or outline for a potential product than what we'll be seeing come next year.

#38 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

I like how backwards compatibility has become "ehhh, we'll just stick the old console inside of the new one." Not that I blame them. The architecture is almost always very custom and difficult to emulate.

#39 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

I could almost believe it until it said $299.There's the glaring evidence that this is bullshit.

#40 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

The doc looks believable from as a thing that would turn up in a large corporation's internal power point (the race car view on the "forward looking" page is perfect).

Doing a console that can pull off 1080p + more modern effects should be easy enough to reach in late 2013 at least. By that point building a CPU+GPU unit cheaply should be easy as the 28nm manufacturing proccess will be mature. Not like they are going to make up the full gap between PC and console neccessarily. 6x what they have is still fraction to PC gaming.

#41 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

well if this was written 2 years ago (doc was uploaded then), they really had the tablet-as-input thing nailed pretty early.

screams monthly subscription rate

1 box for all media needs, provided my microsoft, kinetc-included, "always-on mode" - NO THANK YOU SIR. This is not something I will pay money for. Give it to me for free and maybe I'll wire it up in front of the toilet.

#42 Posted by cheapandtacky (129 posts) -

@Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:

I could almost believe it until it said $299.There's the glaring evidence that this is bullshit.

I agree, but if they did pull something like that off it would resolve the early adopter install base issue in one swoop and 100 million units would be a reasonable target.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.